Old 06 August 2006, 19:54   #1
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Training For Children

Here's one for the trainers out there. My 11 yr old completed her RYA Level 1 last year at the age of 10 and is very keen to move on. I let her drive our rib on occasion (under very close supervision i.e. her sitting in front of me) and she wants to learn and practice more. The RYA website says she cannot take her level 2 until she is 12 which I can understand to a large extent but she is not 12 until Oct 07.

Are there any alternatives or anything else she can do to gain experience and practise, Clubs etc??

Thanks
Roger
Old 06 August 2006, 22:20   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Here's an idea...

http://www.rya.org.uk/General/Features/abouthyr.htm

Generally organised through sailing clubs, although I think some schools submit candidates.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2006, 00:24   #3

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH
Here's one for the trainers out there. My 11 yr old completed her RYA Level 1 last year at the age of 10 and is very keen to move on. I let her drive our rib on occasion (under very close supervision i.e. her sitting in front of me) and she wants to learn and practice more. The RYA website says she cannot take her level 2 until she is 12 which I can understand to a large extent but she is not 12 until Oct 07.

Are there any alternatives or anything else she can do to gain experience and practise, Clubs etc??

Thanks
Roger
How great that you have a youngster with so much enthusiasm. it sounds as though she can get all the " hands on" experience from you and your boat. May I suggest, that in the interim, you provide her with videos /CD's of theoretical seamanship. For example: can she tie a bowline or a clove hitch? A basic dead reckoning navigation course would also be good idea. This will provide a good foundation for the future. Lot's of this stuff is available free on the web including simulators. I personally neglected the "classroom stuff" until my mid twenties and paid the price later. I think the secret for kids of that age is to make it fun and not boring. Also, just as an aside, my birthday is also Oct. 7th. Best of luck T.
Old 07 August 2006, 08:16   #4

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
RJH

There are a couple of options, as mentioned the Honda Youth Challenge is an option althougth realistically it is the practice ahead of one of these that develops skills rather than the competition itself. We had intended putting a schools entry in this year but have struggled with time so will need to wait til next year. There is the K-Class kids powerboat racing that takes from aged 8 upwards and there is training to be able to enter that - i believe you don't always need your own craft for this either nowadays.

Another worthy option is the Sea Cadets or Sea Scouts. We do alot here with Parkstone Sea Cadets and they have a great time afloat across a variety of craft and learn some really good skills.

Your best option i would say though is letting her helm your craft alongside you with her taking increased responsibility for it. Has she spent enough time at the helm to do all the things she learnt at level 1 with ease, can she always perfectly come alongside a (dummy) mob, can she pick up mooring buoys, can she berth the boat in a marina in all manner of berths and conditions etc etc.

I would also suggest getting her a good book on the subject and teaching her a bit yourself, give her her own charts and just chat through the features on them with her and you'll inspire her to spend time studying them. You might also think about additional Level 1 courses in different locations on different craft. Teach her lat & long & start to set her plotting challenges etc etc

We have a similar challenge with our 9 year old, she's done Level 1 three times, has been a guinea pig on numerous instructor courses but ultimately what she gets most from is simply the practice aboard the craft. As some will attest to on here a 9 year old perfectly berthing a 8.5m scorpion in a marina is a cool (at least from a fathers perspective!) skill for your daughter to have!

Do shout with any further questions

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2006, 23:37   #5

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Tendertochallenger2
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 5hp mariner 2 stroke
Send a message via MSN to ozzydownunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Here's an idea...

http://www.rya.org.uk/General/Features/abouthyr.htm

Generally organised through sailing clubs, although I think some schools submit candidates.
I would very strongly advise having a go because i did last yeat at my sailing club but before i was scared to throw a sharp turn but now i can even scare my dad. I'm only 13
Old 09 August 2006, 00:24   #6

Town: Bala
Length: no boat
Most 13 year olds can very easily scare their parents, they don't need a powerboat to do it!

:-)

WMM