Old 21 March 2005, 13:47   #1

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Training for an old salty sea dog

Hello all,

Having noticed that the required qualifications for the inspection of the fleet is PB2 it's prompted me into action.

I've had, driven, owned, sailed and fallen out of boats since I was 6 or 7 years old and have accumalted over time some 26 years experience behind the wheel of a boat including a short stint with the RN! (God bless 'em)

However I have never, ever sat down and done a boating qualification or course at any time (bar radio license). I've basically read lots and done lots.

But what is the ideal training for someone like me to get qualified to a recognised level without having to resort to "Back to basics" tactics and wasting money on courses that I probably know 85%+ of already????

This isn't for commercial purposes just for my own personal benefit.....although if I thought I could earn enough money to be mucking about in boats all day then I'd re-consider the commercial bit!

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

P.S. this was actually started in my mind this weekend as a yacht under power came from my port side as I was exiting the harbour and started shouting at me to get out of his way when I thought that it was my right of way not his!? Surely it's the boat on the right is right??

It's little things like that where I'm not 100% sure during the heat of the moment. I just got out of his way sharpish and waved an apology, but having thought about it I should have waved him a very different signal!
Old 21 March 2005, 14:11   #2

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettal
..........as a yacht under power came from my port side as I was exiting the harbour and started shouting at me to get out of his way when I thought that it was my right of way not his!? Surely it's the boat on the right is right??..............
It was your right of way you should be the one shouting Des
Old 21 March 2005, 14:37   #3

As a first step, if you get the RYA Powerboat Logbook and look over the PB2 syllabus, you would then most likely find you are easily able to do a direct assessment for the PB2, which will take about half a day (Practical and theory involved).

If you want I can give you details of schools running them (I'm freelancing for a few south coast schools at the moment).

After that, then a case of moving on to perhaps the advanced course (You need first aid & VHF really), missing out the intermediate. You could do an Instructor course anytime after your PB2, and the advanced instructor course after your advanced, if you have the experience, which it sounds like you do.

Other than the PB2 direct assessment, there's not really any quick way to get RYA Qualifications without doing courses.
Old 21 March 2005, 14:42   #4

Pettal,

Having just read the Fleet Review post, if you want to come over and do that, I would be more than happy to be your qualified person on board!

James
Old 21 March 2005, 15:10   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
At the slender age.........

......of 38 I've been around water, a little like yourself since before I was born. I've crossed the pond, sailed the bay, most of the med and near enough all the Caribbean. However I've only recently completed my PBL 1/2 and thereafter the Intermediate and I'd advise I learnt something new on both. It's amazing just what you think you know when actually you don't. Often it's someone elses take on it that prompts you to learn something new. Therefore, I'd say, do you Level 1/2 which is a two day course costing less than £200 and thereafter the Intermediate and finally the Advanced. Whatever - you'll meet some nice folks and have a few good days on the water which, after all is what it's all about.

And as an after thought, you'll enjoy a reduction on your insurance premium and heavens forbid you ever have to claim, the insurers will look more favorably on you for having qulaifications than the chap you ram into who has none
Old 21 March 2005, 15:25   #6

Thanks for the info everyone.

I'll take you one at a time.......form an orderly line please..

Des - I thought as much the little t*ss pot, thankyou for confirming what I thought I already knew. I'm not 100% but I'm sure he was Commodore of one of the island yacht clubs.

Jimbo - Thanks for that and sounds like it'll probably be the way for me to go although with my location it involves air fares / hotels and a couple of days off work which in turn hits the old wallet. I'll have a look and see if our local yacht clubs have any courses on the go.......before venturing off to the south coast for a course.

Jimbo - I may well take you up on that offer, but can only say yes nearer the time......it'll be weather permitting if I go so I'll wait and if they still need people a couple of weeks before and the forcast is favourable I'll be up for it!

MeMe - I know what you mean. I've been on some dreadful courses for other things but have always walked away with something new regardless of what I thought I knew......so I can see what your saying and maybe better in the long run for completeness sake.

If I wanted to do the whole lot........how quickly could I do it with one to one tuition?? Just thinking about coming across to the South coast and doing it in one big hit........unless someone can think of why that'd be stupid!?
Old 21 March 2005, 15:36   #7

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Charger
Make: Prosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 200HP OB
Pettal, talk to John Ellyat at the Guernsey Sailing Trust. I spoke to him last year and I think he would just do a course on request if there were enough of us. I and my co-owner would both be interested if you wanted to club together.
Old 21 March 2005, 15:37   #8

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Aquapower Sea School does an intensive 7 day course - but it's not cheap!

http://www.aquapower.co.uk/training.htm
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2005, 16:11   #9

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Before you do anything......

......talk to Jono Gorton, you'll find him on here. He has schools both on the South coast and in N.W. http://www.professional-powerboat-training.co.uk/ Tell him I sent you you'r a ribnet boy and he'll do you a crackin deal... the best on the web.
Old 21 March 2005, 16:12   #10

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Pettal

I have PM'd you so have a look and send me a reply.
Old 21 March 2005, 18:05   #11
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Well, everyone else seems to be wanting to you offer you the courses. So why not let a military helicopter pilot with his own RYA Sea school set up in Lymington do it?

Please visit www.ukribcentre.co.uk

If you would like to discuss this further please give me a call.

Kind regards
Stuart
Old 22 March 2005, 12:40   #12

Thank you to everyone for their help and advice!

I'll try and find a local RYA instructor and get him to do a one to one with me for a couple of hours and let him decide whether I need the full course or can be certified (probably should be certified anyway! ) as competant and to what level.

If I get stuck though I shall see what everyone has to offer in the UK before deciding.

Thanks again!