Old 23 November 2001, 16:07   #1

Town: uk
trailing on mainland Europe.

Hi all,

A recent discussion wth the AA revealed that their recovery service does not extend to mainland europe when towing a rib. A caravan is no problem to them, but they don't do recovery where a rib is involved.

Annoying really as we have europe wide cover with them and had been under the impression that the same service applied there as here.

Good job we found this out before we needed recovery!

What does everyone else do about this?

cheers

D
Old 23 November 2001, 18:37   #2

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Try one of the otrher recovery companies. My car has a 'new car' warranty overseen by 'Mondial' They accepted my trailer as an extra and said they would tow it back to Blighty, (from Italy), complete with boat, (just as well). Not proved though, didn't break down!
Old 25 November 2001, 19:02   #3

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Oh s##t, we've been towing a variety of inflatables and ribs to France every summer for the last 10 years with AA cover and never thought to check if the trailer was covered as I knew from a previous caravan trip that they were. Does this mean that if the car breaks down they would expect you to leave the trailer behind?
Old 26 November 2001, 07:00   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Even in the UK the AA will only recover a trailer up to 24' long. That's less than 7.5 metres, so even a 6.5m boat could be pushing it.

What's more, they won't come out to help you if a trailer wheel bearing packs in, so you're on your own!

John
Old 26 November 2001, 18:06   #5

Town: uk
Hi all,

we too have been towing that thing back and forth all year...
Seems we were not covered because:
one must inform them (AA) of specific dates when going and returning...but the rib isn't covered in any case - and we have "Europe-wide cover"!

I cannot believe that if someone in Belgium is off to Holland or Germany or whatever with the rib for a few days they have to inform their insurance/breakdown cover of dates and details (haven't checked this yet - stranger things have happened) and whatnot. Is this simply yet another example of a company on this expensive little island robbing us?

OK john...any ideas: I tend to go to France at very short notice, sometimes for several days.

What I want is probably some kind of Europe wide insurance that covers everything all the time.

???

D
Old 26 November 2001, 20:16   #6

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Me too! Any suggestions John?
P.S. the AA can do a fair job - last year I lost a wheel off a double decker trailer with 2 new ribs aboard between Hull & Leeds. Even though we had plenty of tools & bits, the bearing remains had doverheated so much that I couldnt get the outer race off. We phoned the AA & they picked up the trailer (onto the back of one of those flatback recovery vehicles), took it to Stranraer, and organised to get it repaired (in temp. fashion) so we could tow it onto the ferry. But it was probably about 6.5 metres long!
Old 27 November 2001, 05:33   #7

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
I am insured,

at a copmany called Interamerican. The road assistance that they provide covers Europe all around. At least that's what they said, when this certain question was made. BUT in order to provide this kind of assistance as far as the trailer, you must pay an extra fee, which is +30%!!!!!!!!
To make the long story short I have to pay 150.000 dr per year (440 Euro) to have a decent insurance ( theft, fire etc) + road assistance for the car AND the trailer.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2001, 08:06   #8

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat

Hi there

The problem is that the AA/RAC etc are basically for the private car (and occasional caravan) user. What you need when towing a large rib is commercial vehicle recovery, and believe me, THAT is going to be expensive.

Cheers

Keith Hart
Old 27 November 2001, 15:54   #9

Town: Karlstad
Make: Viking
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mercury 90
Send a message via ICQ to sasa
Quote:
I have to pay 150.000 dr per year (440 Euro) to have a decent insurance ( theft, fire etc) + road assistance for the car AND the trailer
And you should consider yourself very lucky. In Sweden you cannot insure a bike for that kind of money.
OK, I'm exaggerating a bit, but an insurance like yours - covering car and trailer and including assistance - is much more expensive than 440 Euros.

Sasa
Old 28 November 2001, 05:19   #10

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Sasa

What is the cost of insurance like that in Sweden ? (In Euros please).

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2001, 17:10   #11
Administrator

I've had an email from Paul Glatzel (who for some obscure reason can't post to the forum at the moment ) to say that Seastart offer a European wide boat and trailer recover service.

The details are on their web site at www.seastart.co.uk

John
Old 28 November 2001, 17:37   #12

Town: Newfoundland
Brilliant...........

Thanks John & Paul! I think that would £49 wisely spent!
Alan
Old 28 November 2001, 22:15   #13
Administrator

To clarify, it's £49 for UK cover only or £49 for European cover only. It's £69 for both combined.

That covers you for up to £500 recovery costs per claim, with a maximum of £800 in a year.

Presumably they also organise the recovery, which is the really useful bit!

John
Old 29 November 2001, 06:57   #14

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
I have a new Freelander and, prompted by this thread, I checked with Land Rover regarding their policy on RIBs (and trailers in general) - especially abroad.

They assure me that the RIB - or anything else being towed - is fully covered by their 3 year breakdown emergency service. Theye ven claim that they will get me out of trouble if I get 'stuck' whilst launching or recovering the RIB from a beach or slipway etc!

Pity this only lasts for the first 3 years of the car's life - not sure if it can be extended!
Old 29 November 2001, 08:20   #15

A Landrover? Stuck on a slipway?

Surely not!!

Land Rovers, regretably probably need a decent recovery service for the almost inevitable mechanical breakdowns!
Old 29 November 2001, 09:22   #16
Administrator

Nah, a Freelander stuck on a slipway!

I hear that Landrover now offer a special off road equipment kit to go with Freelanders, consisting of a proper Landrover and a dog.

One to pull you out, the other to bark at anyone who laughs at you . . .

John
Old 29 November 2001, 09:31   #17

Boom Boom!

Old 29 November 2001, 16:43   #18

You all may Mock!!!

I have had the full range of Landrovers - from series Vehicles through the 90s, 110s, defenders, a couple of discos and 2 Range Rovers - a 'Classic' and a 'New' shape. I also have a 'Lightweight' ex Army landrover at present. I had serious doubts before buying the Freelander as to its 'off road' status - but having driven it around various locations - on sand, mud, hills and vales - I can testify that it has coped with everything I have asked it to do!

I would also point out that i have towed out of trouble a Shogun and a Isuzu Trooper with the Freelander - but as they are only 'Pretend' 4x4s anyway its no real claim to fame!

So guys - lay off the Freelander - the V6 is one capable vehicle!
Old 30 November 2001, 07:56   #19

Errmm..........

Beg to differ about the Trooper Graeme. Having driven my new one for a week and 500 miles I can say that it appears better screwed together, more powerful, quieter and nicer inside than the shiny new Disco I had earlier in the year. It doesn't handle as well not having all the fancy electronic trickery (ACE) that makes Disco's so ****ing expensive! I suspect Offroad 90% of the time it'd be a match for a Disco and 100% of the time for a Freelander!

Freeloaders are a hell of a lot nicer on the road though and the V6 is lovely but THIRSTY as I'm sure you know.

And before anyone accuses me of anti LR bias. I had a '72 SWB Series 3 I used to offroad some years ago and spent the last 14 months working at LR after Ford bought 'em! So I mock from a position of strength!

Lightweights are fun though. Slightly narrower track than std LR's so better for offroad trialling!

Alan
Old 30 November 2001, 09:15   #20

Hi Alan

The one thing you need to remember with the Trooper though - unless the new one's are different - is to put them into 4 wheel Drive BEFORE you need it. I believe you have to trun the wheels full circle to engage 4WD - which people seem to forget - and then get stuck.

I would still prefer the best 4x4 by far, not just a mere imitation ....... (just kidding)