Old 30 August 2015, 09:18   #1
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Tragic RIB incident - Ireland

Man dies after boat capsizes off Wexford - RTÉ News

The fact that all were wearing lifejackets will have prevented this being a MUCH worse scenario. The time in the water will have caused hypothermia and (I guess) resulted in the death of the older person. The case highlights the importance of good shore cover and the value of a handheld VHF and PLB on the person - not in a locker.

Thoughts with those concerned.

Old 30 August 2015, 09:28   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
5 hours!

Very sad. It must've been a little used area of water. You'd have to go a fair way offshore around here to not be spotted for five hours.

I agree re. VHF and PLB. I insist that our tribe take both when venturing forth.

One of whom, is leaving for the Emerald Isle today BTW, 'Yardage' building.

Old 30 August 2015, 09:36   #3
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
5 hours!

Very sad. It must've been a little used area of water. You'd have to go a fair way offshore around here to not be spotted for five hours.
I don't think that UK boaters really appreciate how quiet the coastal waters around Ireland are. I find the west of Scotland bustling by comparison. I can go all day and maybe see less than five boats. You fall in here, you better have a plan in your pocket!
Old 30 August 2015, 09:40   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I don't think that UK boaters really appreciate how quiet the coastal waters around Ireland are. I find the west of Scotland bustling by comparison. I can go all day and maybe see less than five boats. You fall in here, you better have a plan in your pocket!
Maybe the thinking that 'someone will be along in a minute' makes us a little too complacent?
We buck our ideas up out of season. I've heard.
Old 30 August 2015, 11:46   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I can go all day and maybe see less than five boats. You fall in here, you better have a plan in your pocket!
As many as that?

PLB is permanently on my lifejacket for the same reason. 11.30pm seems awfully late before anybody raised the alarm though. Sad news.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2015, 16:21   #6

Length: 3m +
While very tragic, also surprisingly good result for the other 9. Could have been 10 times worse.

11:30pm does feel an awfully late time to be picking up the phone to report them overdue. But I suspect many of us suffer from similar issues. We expect to be back ashore at say 7pm. By the time we are recovered, tidied up and driven "back to base" it might be 8pm. BUT we don't expect anyone to panic when we aren't in at 20:00 exactly, so we "add on a bit" and tell them to call for help if we aren't back by 21:00. 21:00 arrives and we haven't checked in. But our shore contact thinks they should "add on a bit", by 21:45 they are trying phone mobiles etc and starting to get worried but feeling that something innocent has gone wrong like a puncture on the way home. Mobiles are "off" (underwater or battery flat?) or are on but unanswered (in the car where it wont get wet or in the boat without me). So someone decides to head to the launch location to check that they are back safe. Its now 22:30 and they need to decide what to do...

We need to be very selective picking shore contacts. They need to be prepared to bother the Coastgaurd if they can't locate us. We need to be clear we are already "adding a bit" by saying - Should be ashore by 7pm, if I haven't made contact by 7.30pm you need to do XYZ.

XYZ needs to be:
- Call my mobile. If you can't get an answer on my Mobile, call Johns. If we have come ashore we will be charging a phone so there is no reason for it to be flat and we will Text as soon as we get to shore anyway. If you can't get an answer on either phone call the Coastguard. Don't delay. Don't decide to check if we've arrived etc. Just call them. They will call us by VHF. If we are running late we will (a) have advised them because we know you'll call (b) be able to assure them we are safe.

Like others PLB and HH VHF on the Lifejacket. Mobile in a waterproof case in a dry bag on board. Really must sort a light for the Lifejacket (although PLB has one) - these guys will have been rescued in darkness having gone in in the daylight.
Old 31 August 2015, 03:25   #7

Length: 7m +
Very sad, agree VHF and PLB a must, I always have the PLB in my pocket and a handheld VHF with DSC attached to my life jacket. My mobile doesn't work in many areas along the jurrasic coast (on EE) and it can be quiet in some areas along that coast as most boaters tend to stay nr hotspots like poole, swanage, lulworth cover etc.
Old 31 August 2015, 04:13   #8

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Having watches the news report I will be adding a water proof torch to my life jacket. As a PLB and HH VHF may get damaged if ejected from the rib.

TSM
Old 31 August 2015, 04:19   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Having watches the news report I will be adding a water proof torch to my life jacket. As a PLB and HH VHF may get damaged if ejected from the rib.

TSM
Have you considered a stone with automatic switch made for the job? I'm sure SPR would suggest a laser flare as a good alternative. Although there is a lot to be said for the general usefulness of a torch too.
Old 31 August 2015, 04:47   #10

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Have you considered a stone with automatic switch made for the job? I'm sure SPR would suggest a laser flare as a good alternative. Although there is a lot to be said for the general usefulness of a torch too.

A what?

Tags
rib