Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
yes and she will live with that for the rest of her life. i ALWAYS use my killcord but funnily enough im human and have appalled myself probably twice by realising that i havent been clipped in. its a momentary lapse that can happen to anyone and of course with equally tragic results. there are however too many who feel they are too big and clever to need one, i dont think this was a result of that though.

I ALWAYS use my killcord and I am one of the strongest supporters of wearing it all the time the engine is running.

However, confession time, I have to my knowledge on three occasions forgotten to attach my killcord during by boating life. Luckily on each occasion I was boating for fun not working commercially (perhaps you have a different mindset when you are working for payment), but each time it shocked me when I realised. On one occasion it was PeterM who tactfully said, "you might want to put that on", and I was appalled that I had made such a schoolboy error in front of another commercial skipper, oops.

Every one of us has on one occasion or another had a momentary lapse of concentration and forgotten to clip on. We are all very lucky that we got away with it. Unfortunately one lady was not so lucky and paid the ultimate price for the same mistake each and every one of us has at some time made.

A very tragic accident that could have happened to any one of us.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 19:19   #362

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post

I ALWAYS use my killcord and I am one of the strongest supporters of wearing it all the time the engine is running.

However, confession time, I have to my knowledge on three occasions forgotten to attach my killcord during by boating life. Luckily on each occasion I was boating for fun not working commercially (perhaps you have a different mindset when you are working for payment), but each time it shocked me when I realised. On one occasion it was PeterM who tactfully said, "you might want to put that on", and I was appalled that I had made such a schoolboy error in front of another commercial skipper, oops.

Every one of us has on one occasion or another had a momentary lapse of concentration and forgotten to clip on. We are all very lucky that we got away with it. Unfortunately one lady was not so lucky and paid the ultimate price for the same mistake each and every one of us has at some time made.

A very tragic accident that could have happened to any one of us.
Recently on our Oban trip, I got a dig in the ribs off the missus who pointed to the dangly thing between my legs, we'd been underway for about 5 mins before either of us noticed.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 19:29   #363

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Mine wouldn't last 5 mins before digging me. My MO, is to faff about whilst pootling out through moorings, with jackets, lifejackets etc, then slip the KC on when leaving the 6knt area and going onto the plane. Maybe I should revise MO? :-/
Old 20 June 2014, 20:26   #364
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Mine wouldn't last 5 mins before digging me. My MO, is to faff about whilst pootling out through moorings, with jackets, lifejackets etc, then slip the KC on when leaving the 6knt area and going onto the plane. Maybe I should revise MO? :-/
I suspect it's a lot of us that do that. Easy to see how it could go wrong very fast.

Since I got the Ballistic,I've tried to make a policy onboard that if there isn't someone at the helm with killcord attached and lifejacket on, the motor isn't running.

In practice, it usually means I have my lifejacket chucked across the helm seat til I'm off the trailer then I have to tie up to the 1st buoy I see for a few minutes and stow everything that's littered around the deck after launch. Not sure that's much of an option for you where you launch though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 20:46   #365

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Wow, what a brave, and strong lady to both come out and say that, and to ensure something positive comes from such a terrible tragedy.
Anyone who thinks they have never had a momentary lapse of concentration simply does not live in the real world or is trying to kid themselves.
Good on you Mrs Milligan.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 20 June 2014, 22:59   #366

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I have mixed feelings over the recent posts:

1) I have the greatest respect for Mrs Milligan, what she had had to come to terms with, endure and overcome on both a personal and family level is something no -one would want or expect to go through, and for her to have come through it is truely remarkable.

2) I also applaud the fund-raising she has done, again a great achievement, and giving the interview was brave.

However....
3) I can't totally ingore the fact that the family were driving a powerful rib at speed without the KC attached - not just "pootling to a mooring" as Mollers put it and I really can't reconcile the concept that this was simply a "tragic accident" (i.e. not foreseeable or preventable) as portrayed in the interview (or how I interpreted it). It was avoidable. The "wear the killcord" message was a small piece at he end of the interview,not the overriding message - this may well have been down to editing by the BBC.

I really feel for the family, and yes we have all forgotten some basic safety rule at some point -with or without consequences - no-one is perfect.

I hope Mrs Milligan's brave interview helps to drive home the message to all of us, and our crews / passengers to ensure the helm is wearing the KC. The impact of a small act of forgetfulness / inattention can be catastrophic.

I also wish her every success in continuing to rebuild her life and that of her family.
Old 21 June 2014, 05:46   #367

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
We are all wiser and much more conscious of wearing our kill cords. Had the accident not happened I suspect we would not be so critical of not wearing it. I am committed to wearing mine and will do so every time. I just hope I don't forget or get distracted. If so perhaps a family member will remind me to put it on. As a family we have all discussed the accident and followed the investigation so understand the consequences.

I enjoy and appreciate life. Ribbing has provided us with much enjoyment, experiences, thrills as well as introducing us to some great new friends. I have had my near misses including a wheel coming of my trailer. Thankfully no one was coming the other way. I cannot imagine the anguish that Mrs Milligan must have gone through. She has to live with those tragic consequences for the rest of her life. I am really fortunate that my memories of ribbing are all good.

Congratulations to Mrs Milligan for the money she has raised and for talking so publicly of her tragic loss!
Old 21 June 2014, 10:26   #368
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Since I got the Ballistic,I've tried to make a policy onboard that if there isn't someone at the helm with killcord attached and lifejacket on, the motor isn't running.
You can't get any safer than that.

On that theme - "Fly by wire" systems increase risk where a killcord is not used while the engine is running. With very little mechanical resistance and often quite large amounts of power on tap - a simple brush from a jacket cuff can engage a whole herd of horses with awful results. Luckily a lot of these systems include a "neutral lock", the use of which should be part of every owner's routine.
Old 23 June 2014, 07:05   #369

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Mrs Milligan has been all over Radio Cornwall today. She has donated GBP250k to Cornwall air ambulance, their biggest ever single donation. Our new air ambulance helicopter will be named after Nick and Emily. The celebrity cycle ride from Cornwall to London taking place today hopes to raise another 500k which will be distributed in Cornwall, largely to the RNLI.

These people made a mistake, for which they have paid a dreadful price. Most of us are highly experienced boat users and would probably not have made the same mistake. That does not mean that any of us are immune to making mistakes in other areas of life. So let's not judge this particular incident and feel for this lady who has lost so much and now has the courage to do so much good.
Plus 1 from me as well Mollers .............
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2014, 09:04   #370

Just a reminder it is well worth reading the full report on this incident published by the marine accident people, there were a few contributing factors.

One thing ive noticed about killcords use which perhaps doesn't help is that many people when they leave there boats after a day out take the key with them but leave the kill cord in place. This means when they next go out all they do is put in the key and off they go, perhaps and I say perhaps allready having the kill cord in place may make people forget about having to attach it to themselves. If you take the key and also the kill cord out as well then next time you go out both are in your hands and maybe just maybe that may make it more prominant in your mind to attach the kill cord to your person.

Next time your in a marina have a look round and see how many killcords there are allready attached with no one in the boat or about to go out, as in just left in place from last trip. I am also wondring whether leaving the kill cord in place for periods of time may just may effect the performance of the kill switch. ?
Old 23 June 2014, 09:38   #371

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Working commercially, all my skippers and crew have a well rehersed policy on killcords.
Indeed, whenever I skipper the boat, I a put on a bit of a "performence" for those watching from the Qauyside, to show that we act responsibly.
However .......
Only last week, we were doing some filming and there was a request to do a clip of Ben Fogle and I, getting on the RIB and leaving the pontoon, with the brief that it was a 10 second clip and to return straight back to the pontoon (30 secs in total).
With that mind set, guess who got on and got underway with no killcord? All caught on camera! I hope to God that does not make it to the final edit ......
Steve
Old 23 June 2014, 15:55   #372

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Yep,when ALL is said and done, it is soo easy to miss.
Old 23 June 2014, 18:10   #373

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Quite moving listening to her speak.
She's right. You don't know what's round the corner.....
+1 very moving to listen to, it's a mistake I've made but the only price I've paid is embarrassment
Old 23 June 2014, 20:02   #374

Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
One thing ive noticed about killcords use which perhaps doesn't help is that many people when they leave there boats after a day out take the key with them but leave the kill cord in place.
Agree 100% hence my killcords are semi permanently attached to my LJ, i cant leave the helm with the engine running. there is a spare on the Mrs LJ and a spare attached to the back of the helm seat.
Old 23 June 2014, 21:00   #375

Town: Caribbean
Boat name: Rib
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: 2.5 Tahatsu outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Agree 100% hence my killcords are semi permanently attached to my LJ, i cant leave the helm with the engine running. there is a spare on the Mrs LJ and a spare attached to the back of the helm seat.
Good practice.
Old 23 June 2014, 21:43   #376

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
It's funny, I've never thought of leaving the KC attached to the boat when leaving her - if only for 10 mins. KC and keys always come away with me along with battery isolator key (well the last may be not for just 10 min). I've never thought as the KC as a fixture - more of something to be easily nicked!

I don't keep the KC on my LJ - I have a spare in a cargo net on the console readily availalbe and everyone knows where it is - part of the brief.
Old 24 June 2014, 08:05   #377

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
We Ribbed on an SR5.4 for 10+ yrs..... Never even had a kill cord despite having the mercury optimax toggle switch, it was just left up. Ignorance is bliss until it goes wrong!!!

Coming on here and buying a new boat meant we learned why they should be worn. Education is key, not law. Full credit for her taking up that mantle as outside of this site I'm sure there are plenty of people like us 6 yrs ago!!! All those eBay boaters and bayliner wakeboarders etc

And I'm still guilty sometimes of taking it off my LJ or leg when mooring up alone and running to the bow to grab a buoy. :-(
Old 24 June 2014, 09:11   #378

Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
And I'm still guilty sometimes of taking it off my LJ or leg when mooring up alone and running to the bow to grab a buoy. :-(
No confidence the engine will restart?
Old 24 June 2014, 09:17   #379

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
I think the RYA could do better with their training to instil safe working practice with kill cords.

In my opinion the engine should always be stopped by removing the kill cord - therefore it can't be started without thinking about the kill cord.

You will never stop the deliberate abusers, but this simple procedure should stop accidentally not wearing the kill cord and test the kill switch regularly - which is a good idea as it is not an intrinsically safe system; failure of the kill switch system will not stop the engine. I have no idea why the RYA do not teach this.

All the best

David
Old 24 June 2014, 10:03   #380

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpround View Post
I think the RYA could do better with their training to instil safe working practice with kill cords.

In my opinion the engine should always be stopped by removing the kill cord - therefore it can't be started without thinking about the kill cord.

You will never stop the deliberate abusers, but this simple procedure should stop accidentally not wearing the kill cord and test the kill switch regularly - which is a good idea as it is not an intrinsically safe system; failure of the kill switch system will not stop the engine. I have no idea why the RYA do not teach this.

All the best

David
This all comes down to the instructor. I always drill in kill cord use - and if i see the use incorrect then this candidate is deferred.

The way I teach is that whenever we change drivers or come in for a classroom session - engine off with key and cord removed from boat then person then cord and keys clipped together, and when you get into the seat its the reverse order, so separate them, then onto person, then onto boat then keys in.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote