Old 07 May 2013, 23:42   #181

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
What caused the ejection is almost an irrelevance imv. I'm sure that the facts will be established in time. It's the whole killcord issue which is wrecking my head.
This guy was obviously an intelligent man, why would he endanger those so precious to him by not wearing a KC? A lack of experience,knowledge,training, awareness?
My close friend had dinner with him a few weeks ago. A father of quite a few children, with the time to build a house in the SW. Doesn't sound like a man to lose it and show off. Something untoward happened. Maybe we put it down to "accident".
But some judgements so far are uncalled for.
Old 08 May 2013, 06:13   #182

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken999 View Post
...life hangs by a thread...
Indeed.
Old 08 May 2013, 06:45   #183

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I dont want to get told off for speculating but there are a couple of things flying around that I'm struggling with.

Firstly, who shows off to their wife and kids? if you are showing off then you are prepared for a bumpy ride and hang on, more likely someone fell on the throttle or pushed it the wrong way.

Secondly, he was experienced and more than likely had a piece of paper of some sorts, who specs a boat up like that, along with racks and mirrors for towing when they have no idea? I also doubt he'd have been doing the job he was doing without any sense.
Old 08 May 2013, 07:24   #184

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Of course We all appreciate prevention is better than cure. My understanding is an unmanned boat will often move in ever decreasing circles. If you do find yourself in the water in this situation are there any options?
Very good question
Old 08 May 2013, 08:05   #185

Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
Just a wee note on kill cords i feel is a good time to point out, since a few of you reading these posts might be thinking of doubling up on them.
I bought two years ago on ebay for my old boat, a couple of months later was returning in quite hairy waters 5 miles out. It wasn't until i got to harbour that i noticed the cord was snapped in the middle, it brought home to me how close it could of been.
I stretched and pulled the other one in the boat box, within minutes it broke too.
Don't buy cheap kill cords.
All you experienced folk will know that already, i didnt at the time and was caught out. But i learned from that.
Old 08 May 2013, 08:17   #186

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I have had several break where they use a chrome plated mild steel hasp to clamp the cord to make the loop. It rots away where the two ends of the hasp meet and when tugged the loop undoes.

Might be worth doing a survey of the best and worse makes?
Old 08 May 2013, 08:19   #187

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I won't speculate on the past but learn for the future
Old 08 May 2013, 08:23   #188

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryesd View Post
Just a wee note on kill cords i feel is a good time to point out, since a few of you reading these posts might be thinking of doubling up on them.
I bought two years ago on ebay for my old boat, a couple of months later was returning in quite hairy waters 5 miles out. It wasn't until i got to harbour that i noticed the cord was snapped in the middle, it brought home to me how close it could of been.
I stretched and pulled the other one in the boat box, within minutes it broke too.
Don't buy cheap kill cords.
All you experienced folk will know that already, i didnt at the time and was caught out. But i learned from that.
Not even thought of that. Ours is 6 yrs old and hangs on the boat all year on the mooring.

Whilst only attached to a toggle switch, so not much force needed, I think a new one is in order!

To be fair it's not exactly coiled any more.

Re use of kill chords. From the age of baby to 21 through dorys to a Searider 5.4 with 90 opti, we never used KCs HORROR you all say!! Indeed.....But I grew up boating around casual fishermen in old boats and part time fair weather low budget sailors, who usually drank a bottle of whisky whilst out. KC's and pretty much lifejackets just weren't used by anyone in dinghys, dorys yachts, fishers or fletchers. 1970's foam rubbish buoyancy aids were given to younger kids, that was it. (In latter years in the SR we did always use the auto inflate LJs)

It was only then on buying our bigger rib, doing PB2 and being on here I realised the importance of them.

My point is that education is key, not legislation. Awareness of the issue imparted to those who will act once they understand is the main objective. Legislation in my eyes, just like in cars, doesn't stop the arrogant, stupid or irresponsible people out there.
Old 08 May 2013, 08:38   #189

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
The footage of the boat being brought under control is at or on the Doombar sandbars or just downtide by the looks of things. Doom Bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is for those who don't know the area, rather than criticism of those concerned. The Doombar is a dangerous spot, waves can appear even on a perfectly flat looking calm day due to the swell & tide running over the sandbars.

This is a typical Doombar wave, hence its a top windsurfing wavesailing spot, I'm a regular there. This is a Doombar wave, that could obviously cause problems to a boat at speed or even stationary. These waves simply appear from nowhere, even in light winds (They appear to, but the shallows are where they occur)

Old 08 May 2013, 08:50   #190

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesailing2004 View Post
i have removed the posters name but honestly for the 2 seconds it takes to put the KC on... if you trip while moving around the boat with it in gear and get ejected on a perfectly calm day how does that figure in your risk assessment?
Removed the poster's name??....sorry but how pathetic are you?

Probably not a good time to mention then that on occasion, I exceed the speed limit on the motorway then?

There are times also when i've walked through a hard hat zone without actually wearing one!

I've also been known to not wear safety goggles when using power tools.....

Now using your analogy.. I admit the chances of tripping and being ejected from a boat while moving at slow speed in perfectly calm waters is not impossible..........but like the examples given above...the risk is manageable.

I wrote the post in support of another members point that on occasion he doesnt wear a KC....So all of a sudden we've all become angels around here have we? Come on, how many others have driven a rib (in calm and controled conditions) without a KC?

I'm man enough to admit that even though its not best practice, i have done it. (When conditions allow)

Finally, read my second to last line of my post...

Sorry to distract from the real issues here...

Simon
Old 08 May 2013, 09:11   #191

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Not a great analogy, how many times have you driven over the legal limit or not renewed you insurance? people prioritise things differently. I used to teach people to jump out of planes, we had rules as safety was paramount and you followed them to a T - occasionally the risks were brought home when someone was killed, in the same way this incident will make many sit up and think. What seems pathetic to you may be important to someone else.
Old 08 May 2013, 09:20   #192

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Whatever happened and how great a bloke he was, that kill cord could've prevented an incident becoming a tragedy.
Old 08 May 2013, 09:44   #193

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Not a great analogy, how many times have you driven over the legal limit or not renewed you insurance? people prioritise things differently. I used to teach people to jump out of planes, we had rules as safety was paramount and you followed them to a T - occasionally the risks were brought home when someone was killed, in the same way this incident will make many sit up and think. What seems pathetic to you may be important to someone else.
Thomas, my "pathetic" comment was directed purely at the condescending manner he "removed the posters name" .....not at his comments as a whole.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 08 May 2013, 09:55   #194

Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 40hp
A lot of good comments on kill cords - and I know that in the couple of PB courses I have done there has been a strong focus on these (and I always have one & spare on the SR...

but I do think that there is something flawed in the way the whole process works - having to remember them / you can clip them to the wrong place and not have them work / etc.

Is there any reason that you can't have a dead-man's switch like the ones on your lawnmower - on the throttle - release of switch and engine returns to idle / or even turns off - there is mention above of spring loaded throttles - are they not a better approach (though with the engine still idling - not sure if that is ideal)

We have a lot of technology elsewhere - from car seats with pressure sensors to detect whether you (or your shopping!) is wearing a seat belt - to lawn mowers / etc. It wouldn't be difficult to put these ideas into a boat - nor expensive, and I am sure that if we did - in 10 years time no-one would worry about the loss of the kill cord and letting the tech sort it out...

for example - a pressure sensor in the seat, (assuming that is being used in the boat) could be set to not allow the engine to go above a certain speed / make them drop down to a slower speed - hand removed from the throttle can kill the engine - we have no issues driving a car for hours on end needing a foot on a pedal...

yes, we need better education, yes, I would always be an advocate of training (lots of fun if nothing else!), but actually these boats which can cost a fortune to buy are actually technologically a long way behind other items we find in our homes / the cars we drive - if a volvo can stop when you would otherwise run over a pedestrian - how difficult would it be to put the same tech into a boat? and that is in a car which costs a lot lot less than most boats...

I do think that this is perhaps a call for some creative thinking

Alasdair
Old 08 May 2013, 10:04   #195

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
personally, I often stand as I am going along as I am usually looking for people in the water and want the best view, so a pressure switch would not work for me. I believe having a return spring on the throttle would make for very jerky power delivery when in rough conditions, same as driving a car over a very bumpy track.
A proximity sensor seems a good idea, similar to the modern cars where you no longer have an ignition key. Something that could be tuned allowing you to wander round the boat without killing the engine say a range of 12'. Problems would be having a spare one for the passenger to use if you went over the side. If it worked on the same frequency and was withing the range, it would not cut out. Maybe you would simply have a manual overide for emergencies?
Old 08 May 2013, 10:46   #196

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Joka-Tu
Make: Monterey
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by behavin View Post
the kill cord shown on the news was stretched out ie: it wasn't a tightly coiled one.
Not necessarily, my kill cord is a cord, not a coiled spring type so it would look like that anyway.
Old 08 May 2013, 11:31   #197

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I have purposefully been holding off posting here for a couple of days on purpose.

As has been said, nobody knows what happened. Untill the forensic investigation is done, we continue to be in that position. I spend sizeable chunks of my week doing failure analysis, and I can assure you the "obvious" reason very rarely turns out to be the root cause.

For that reason I can only send my condolances to those involved, and ask that you all stop supposing, assuming & pointing fingers until the evidence is published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
You may not want just anyone restarting the engine and driving towards you when you are in the water unless you are confident of their MOB abilities.
+1

Been the MoB (whilst being rescued from a broken Laser) and even knowing the driver is competent and having a lump of upturned dighy to duck behind I can assure you It's a class 1 "brown trouser" moment when the bow of an SR4 is looming above you.....

Quote:
the kill cord shown on the news was stretched out ie: it wasnt a tightly coiled one.
This to me shows its either been well used by the driver ,or maybe has caught on something at the drivers end and broken ?

The rib was turning circles as shown in the videos with no one aboard so the kill cord shown i would say not be the instructors that jumped onboard.

Was the guy actually driving ? was one of the others having a go ?
my boys very often drive our rib and if they do i join kill cords together and sit next to them rather than them wear the cord.
+1
Exactly. Which is why I said above - Don't apportion blame (if any is even to be apportioned) until you know all the facts. This may have been a remarkably unlucky incident.

Quote:
wireless cords ? no way ! it has to be a physical attachment to the boat and the driver..as fail safe as it gets
Well, maybe. I have a 30-odd YO engine. The failsafe is that the switch is held open and when the cord is removed it shorts the ignition. Even if I test it before leaving the harbour, how do I know the connection inside the engine hasn't shaken loose as I head out over the waves?

The only way to properly failsafe is to have something like triple paralell wiring so 2/3 can fail "en route" & still work. Should also have a warning that will tell you if "non agreement" between the three cables is detected...or should it just shut the engine down?. Hang on, it's the old "Lee shore in a F6 and you can't motor off due to a grumpy engine management box" scenario again... etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akirk View Post
Is there any reason that you can't have a dead-man's switch like the ones on your lawnmower - on the throttle - release of switch and engine returns to idle / or even turns off - there is mention above of spring loaded throttles - are they not a better approach (though with the engine still idling - not sure if that is ideal)

We have a lot of technology elsewhere - from car seats with pressure sensors to detect whether you (or your shopping!) is wearing a seat belt - to lawn mowers / etc. It wouldn't be difficult to put these ideas into a boat - nor expensive, and I am sure that if we did - in 10 years time no-one would worry about the loss of the kill cord and letting the tech sort it out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
personally, I often stand <etc>

There is some good discussion here, and I have to agree with Rokraider in that it's going to have to be more high tech than a simple pressure switch (my throttle frictrion screw was slightly loose at Easdale last weekend and I can tell you it was an @rse of a thing to drive for more than about 10 mins) I too was on & off the seat like a jack-in the box due to the weather conditions, so we're probably looking at some form of (as I said above) probably dual or triple optical sensor with comaparators..... (and if anyone patents that - note the time & date of this post )

Two problems with uber high tech solutions - there is more to go wrong (corroded connections etc) and even if they were a legislative must, to use the automotive comparison even in cars there are still a fair few Morris Minors / Austin 7s out there that (I think) you can still get away without a seatbelt if it wasn't fitted (as an optional extra) back in 1957 when it left the factory... (I am open to correction on that, but the simiar theme certianly applies to emmissions!)

Do you insist retro fitting all boats? Do you just live with the fact that there will not ever be a "universal" use of this new system? (and lets face it- how many Ribs are on here >20YO, and we on the forum are generally up to speed with the latest tech - how many Fletcher Arrowsports get dug out once a year and get towed somewhere on screeching brearings by people who go out as often as their boat sees water? What are the chances of them even kowing this new gizmo must be fitted?

Whatever happens, accidents will happen. yes, we can reduce the frequency of them & hopefully the resulting carnage, but there is no way we can totally protect everyone from everything.

Problem is we are all human. We all forget. We all get distracted.

Let's wait for the report. Whatever the reasons, it was a terrible outcome.
Old 08 May 2013, 12:16   #198

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Of course We all appreciate prevention is better than cure. My understanding is an unmanned boat will often move in ever decreasing circles. If you do find yourself in the water in this situation are there any options?
With Hydraulic steering this will not happen - it will stay where it is when the helm was released - useful for trying to work out what was going on at the time of ejection - even if the helm held on for a moment it wouldn't have altered things very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsideways View Post
The footage of the boat being brought under control is at or on the Doombar sandbars or just downtide by the looks of things. Doom Bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is for those who don't know the area, rather than criticism of those concerned. The Doombar is a dangerous spot, waves can appear even on a perfectly flat looking calm day due to the swell & tide running over the sandbars.

This is a typical Doombar wave, hence its a top windsurfing wavesailing spot, I'm a regular there. This is a Doombar wave, that could obviously cause problems to a boat at speed or even stationary. These waves simply appear from nowhere, even in light winds (They appear to, but the shallows are where they occur)

The footage of the boat being brought under contro which was presumably not that much later in the day showed flat calm water?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2013, 12:26   #199
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
1st off, my deepest sympathies to those affected by this awful incident. As always with an incident like this, the speculation / finger pointing may not be appropriate, but discussion as to how to prevent recurrance is at least a small positive.

My personal view is this: I am absolutely 100% against any form of mandatory regulation of our sport for a multitude of reasons. Life is dangerous and personal responsibility has to be the answer. Sadly, some times tragic accidents happen, even to the most experienced and capable of us.

That said, I really do like the idea of stickers reading 'wear your killcord' placed at the helm. Could a solution along these lines be offered as a 'gentlemans agreement' as an alternative to further regulation I wonder? I believe a similar thing was done by the big 4 japanese motorcycle manufacturers in the '80s to avoid European limits on HP and more recently with daytime running lights. It HAS to be a better option if it comes from the boating community rathern than the legislators.

Regarding high-tech solutions: Any technological advance is a good thing, and on paper sounds like a great idea. However in practice, the smarter the technology, the less people think about what they are doing. Yes you remove the human element, but you also remove the human need to think and assess the situation. For example, how many modern cars do you see (presumably with automatic headlights) driving in fog / heavy rain with no lights on? Or more recently (and more worryingly) the newest cars with what appear to be always on front fogs, driving around with no tail lights? IMO technology never mitigates the need for concentration and awareness.
Old 08 May 2013, 12:32   #200

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

With Hydraulic steering this will not happen - it will stay where it is when the helm was released -
Precisely. There has been so much misinformation re steering. Jeremy Vine had an Rya expert on his prog yesterday, explaining how the steering would flop to hard over due to torque reaction.