Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 May 2013, 18:51   #101

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
You compromise anyones safety when you ignore that little red strap!
Old 06 May 2013, 18:53   #102

Length: 7m +
Its very sad indeed, as the kill cord can be seen attached to the cobra when it was pulled out the water i expect either it wasnt worn or became unattached from person as they went over board. It is tragic and these things will continue to happen as not much is done about it after the incident is forgotten and then the next time it happens again everyone shouts somethingnshould be done but nothing ever is. The amount of people on the water who are in dire need of either some common sense or training is shocking, not saying this is the case in this incident just generally. Take today around poole, massive fog bank drifting in the harbour, announcements are made by harbour master and im the only one out of say 20 boats to put nav lights on. Then you have people who dont know or dont care what side of channel to come in or go out on, then younhave the jetskiers and the speed freaks breaking every speed limit and the harbor masters published policy is educate rather than prosecute. I watchednthe harbor master chasing a speedboat the entire lengh or brownsea island on thenpoole side a couple of weeks ago, he caught up with him, any prosecution ? Of course not.

Im turning into a grumpy old sailor.

Gets to a point where you gotta wonder if any authority really cares about boating accidents and issues of safety, i bet they do but they just dont have the resources or money to do much about it.

Anyway very sad accident. I hope the survivors recover ok.
Old 06 May 2013, 18:59   #103

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Isn't the entire thing like seatbelts in cars?..they don't stop the accident but make the outcome better....?

Like Boris I was out in the fog today...jet ski lads with no idea out in fog..way to fast, families with no LJ in fog etc etc...

I guess the real issue for me is how can kill cords be made impossible to forget......sort that and maybe this sort if accident won't happen?
Old 06 May 2013, 19:42   #104

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Tragic and it is. but its a case of more money than sense!
It's a shame to see comments like this. Nick was one of my oldest friends and his death is devastating news.

Please do think twice before posting such utter rubbish.
Old 06 May 2013, 19:43   #105

Town: Plymouth
One of the news reports today has said the Rib was rented, although this hasn't been confirmed.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
Old 06 May 2013, 19:48   #106

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
It wasn't rented.
Old 06 May 2013, 19:51   #107

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
I felt sick when I first heard of this incident and still do as the details emerge.
Today in Poole I lost count of the number of small, fast boats passing through the harbour with occupants with no life jackets, no killcords and excessive speed (in fog too). On one occation a small Boston Whaler came in to the marina, with 13 people on, 3 large dogs and no one wearing life jackets. They went into a local pub, had several beers and then left in the same way!!
I lay a small amount of blame at the Kill cord manufacturers. The clips are too small and not always easy to secure to the body or clothing. We have for many years used a dog collar with a plastic clip together fastening. We clip the kill cord to the collar, where the lead would attach. It is easy to use, even with cold hands and very easy to adjust for different people. Why dont they come like this as standard?
Another £4 on a £40k+ RIB = lives saved
Steve
Old 06 May 2013, 19:55   #108

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Seconded.

Sad and shocked for the innocents onboard.

Incredibly angry at the F**KWIT at the helm who's just killed 2 people because 'it'll be ok, we're not going far' or somesuch lame excuse.
Take a few moments to read the various tributes to the man you have described above.
Old 06 May 2013, 20:02   #109
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
I felt sick when I first heard of this incident and still do as the details emerge.
Today in Poole I lost count of the number of small, fast boats passing through the harbour with occupants with no life jackets, no killcords and excessive speed (in fog too). On one occation a small Boston Whaler came in to the marina, with 13 people on, 3 large dogs and no one wearing life jackets. They went into a local pub, had several beers and then left in the same way!!
I lay a small amount of blame at the Kill cord manufacturers. The clips are too small and not always easy to secure to the body or clothing. We have for many years used a dog collar with a plastic clip together fastening. We clip the kill cord to the collar, where the lead would attach. It is easy to use, even with cold hands and very easy to adjust for different people. Why dont they come like this as standard?
Another £4 on a £40k+ RIB = lives saved
Steve
Agree Steve with everything you say. Watched all day RIBs ignoring the biggest press and TV coverage for a boat accident for years and it appears it was ignored. What more can you do to get this simple message across, and I am not pre judging the events in Padstow just hoped everyone would wake up, some hope!
Old 06 May 2013, 20:05   #110

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
IWe have for many years used a dog collar with a plastic clip together fastening. We clip the kill cord to the collar, where the lead would attach. It is easy to use, even with cold hands and very easy to adjust for different people.
Steve
what a great idea!! Have always used the kill cord and fiddled with the clip. Think I will be going to the pet shop soon!!
Old 06 May 2013, 20:18   #111

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Isn't the entire thing like seatbelts in cars?..they don't stop the accident but make the outcome better....?

Like Boris I was out in the fog today...jet ski lads with no idea out in fog..way to fast, families with no LJ in fog etc etc...

I guess the real issue for me is how can kill cords be made impossible to forget......sort that and maybe this sort if accident won't happen?
I have a eye on the top of my windscreen that I clip the hook of my kill cord on when I take it off to disembark, that way next time I climb aboard its right in my line of sight. It works for me (most of the time).

Been out today with my young family and could not get this dreadful chain of events out of my mind. But have to agree with those that have said "he without blame, throw the first stone"
Old 06 May 2013, 20:19   #112
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Take a few moments to read the various tributes to the man you have described above.
Don't start trolling here. 2 people have died.Using it as a points scoring excercise isn't even remotely acceptable.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2013, 20:42   #113

I hear from both sides.But what would have happened to the guy IF he had survived?
Old 06 May 2013, 20:42   #114

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
This is tragic, my thoughts are with the whole family. I've quietly spoken to all of my kids today. I want them to be aware that it happened and aware that it may have been avoidable and that we should always use the kill cord.

I can't fathom out how the boat could have ejected six people unless they had the helm hard across in a manoeuvre and then slipped and rammed the throttle forward because it looks like it was in the estuary, where it would have been relatively calm. Anyway, not my place to surmise.

God knows how many times I've manoeuvred the boat in sheltered waters, without a kill cord, especially if I need to get to bow lines or land on a dock or some such. I'm expecting backlash but wtf, it's the truth.
Old 06 May 2013, 20:45   #115

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post

what a great idea!! Have always used the kill cord and fiddled with the clip. Think I will be going to the pet shop soon!!
We have (almost ) always used a large stainless carabiner attached to the KC. The benefit of this is that you can hook it into nearly anything without it coming undone . The nature of the hook means that it inherently "jams" when trying to pull it clear of a pocket or waistband unless it is deliberately opened. As already mentioned, it has to be made as convenient and easy as possible to use.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 06 May 2013, 20:46   #116

I wonder if the steering had air in it? some thing caused the occupants to be ejected out rapidly> over compensation maybe? can this happen with Hyd steering that needs bleeding?
Old 06 May 2013, 21:01   #117

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
my sympathies to the family from across the pond.

as tragic as this is it sure has me thinking. I am working up to a similar boat, 7m 250hp, which will be the most powerful boat I have ever owned. I can also say that I am not the best user of the kill cord. I will be thinking of this for a long time. I also appreciate the useful information on various KC setups and what can make it easier.

jason
Old 06 May 2013, 21:01   #118

This tragedy has really made me think a lot as a relatively new ribster. The fella I bought my first rib off stressed the use of the kill chord but didn't really say where to attach it. I started by attaching it to a buckle on my lifejacket but it was a bit fiddly. Subsequently an instructor told me to wrap it round my leg but I have either killed the engine moving around the boat or it has slipped off.

I have forgotten to attach it at least 5 times over two years just because its a dangly bit of chord. I am not sure how I can make myself remember. I am thinking of attaching some flourescent tape around the clip and attaching it to the console or print myself a big sticker. I am responsible and safety conscious but I just don't find it as normal ad putting a car seat belt on. Hopefully good things will come out of the result of the investigation.
Old 06 May 2013, 21:04   #119
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I hear from both sides.But what would have happened to the guy IF he had survived?
Quote:
I wonder if the steering had air in it? some thing caused the occupants to be ejected out rapidly> over compensation maybe? can this happen with Hyd steering that needs bleeding?
Matt - I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but probably worth leaving to the MAIB. I don't always agree with their conclusions - but generally their investigations are fairly detailed rather than internet speculation.

In terms of pointing the finger of blame - don't even know who was at the helm.
Old 06 May 2013, 21:05   #120

Town: Malmesbury
Have a look at the picture of the boat on the trailer in The Sun on the link below. There is a mark under the bow on the hull suggesting that it hit something perhaps. In the photo a police photographer is taking a photo of the kill cord still in place. On another photo further down you can see the kill cord hanging down too.

Speedboat tipped out family of six, killing dad and daughter in Padstow | The Sun |News

I'm new to boating having bought a 5yr old Cobra 7.5m with a Mercury 275 earlier in the yr. Done my PB2, Radio & day skipper courses. Wife & two boys have also done PB1 (with Alan of Tiger Bay Training in Cardiff- very good). We've been out a number of times in Cornwall & Wales now so just starting to get the hang of it. However, after hearing of this terrible accident I want to know why this (top of the range) 8.0m rib flipped its passengers out. Did it hit something, was there a fault, or could this happen to me and my family too?

Experienced ribsters, what boat handling causes a big sturdy rib to flip?