Old 19 November 2014, 06:45   #441

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Really they should manufacture a dual killcord, one plastic fitting for the switch but two curly leads. That way helm 2 can attach before helm 1 detaches if swapping helms.

That would not help my berthing scenario where I am a long way from the helm getting fenders out of lockers, but it's generally calmer seas and shallow enough to anchor in that instance, so a dead engine is only an inconvenience rather than a danger.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 07:14   #442
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
Really they should manufacture a dual killcord, one plastic fitting for the switch but two curly leads. That way helm 2 can attach before helm 1 detaches if swapping helms.
You can already diy this solution (as the rya recommend when training children) but it doesn't help do what Simon wants which is have the kc permanently attached to life jackets to prevent forgetfulness. it would be theoretically possible to have two kill switches wired in so you can connect one before removing the other one but it introduces other risks.
Old 19 November 2014, 07:18   #443
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I like that idea, and it's a modification that I'd seriously consider.

Unfortunately I can see it being counterproductive if it became mainstream as anyone less inclined to use a kill cord wouldn't even need to have the annoying bit of red curly stuff dangling in the breeze!
Old 19 November 2014, 07:23   #444
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I like that idea, and it's a modification that I'd seriously consider.

Unfortunately I can see it being counterproductive if it became mainstream as anyone less inclined to use a kill cord wouldn't even need to have the annoying bit of red curly stuff dangling in the breeze!
If you really don't want a kc dangling you only need a pair of scissors...
Old 19 November 2014, 07:27   #445

RIBase
I teach PB2 on a rib with dual kill switches. Pulling either will kill the engine. That setup would work perfectly in the swapping helms scenario, but I have only ever seen it on ribs used for teaching (and the Honda Youth Rib Challenge boats but in those the 2nd kill switch is forward of the console for the person crouched in the bow area).
Old 19 November 2014, 07:29   #446

RIBase
Some remote throttles come with a spare kill switch plastic bit (no curly lead) stored in a purpose built slot
Old 19 November 2014, 09:01   #447
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Don't you want it wired so either switch (rather than both) keeps the engine running? i.e. Helm 1 is on one switch with engine running, then Helm 2 comes along plugs into second switch, and the first helm pulls chord and walks away. Engine stays running all the time, unless both chords are tugged. Only one is chord is usually connected at a time apart from during changeover, when it requires both people to be thrown to stop engine.
Old 19 November 2014, 09:06   #448

RIBase
The one I use needs both to be plugged in for the engine to run. Means I can kill the power at any time by just moving my leg or yanking the cord, or if I get ejected from the boat the trainees cannot come back and run me over
Old 19 November 2014, 09:09   #449

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Yes, broken wire on a Merc Commander 2000 box.
Which is why I believe that the engine should be stopped every time with the kill cord. I cannot see any reason why this should not be SOP taught by the RYA. It is not a fault tolerant system and so MUST be tested every time.

Someone suggested that some engines should not be stopped with the kill cord. This is not true. Disconnecting the battery on a modern engine could be bad. Using the kill cord on a properly installed engine will never be bad and is equivalent to turning off the key.
Old 19 November 2014, 09:11   #450
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Quote:
The one I use needs both to be plugged in for the engine to run. Means I can kill the power at any time by just moving my leg or yanking the cord, or if I get ejected from the boat the trainees cannot come back and run me over
Understood Chris, and that is what you need for a training boat. Instead I was thinking of Simon B's situation where they want to change helm safely, while also allowing them to keep the engine running.
Old 19 November 2014, 09:12   #451

RIBase
I generally teach people to "test" the kill switch after launching the boat and getting it into a safe place, then use the key for the rest of the day.
Old 19 November 2014, 09:14   #452

RIBase
I guess it's just a matter of if the switches are wired in parallel or series, as to how they work. Should be a simple wiring modification.
Old 19 November 2014, 09:36   #453

Town: Swindon
MMSI: 235910561
I recently heard a suggestion from an instructor for whom I have tremendous respect that we should be teaching "RYA Approved" methods, matched to a bit of common sense. He suggested that on day one of the PB2, every changeover is done by the book. On day 2, we take the view of "let's be adults about this - the RYA method is the safest, but as long as one person has hold of the killcord at all times, we can do a changeover with the engine running."

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 19 November 2014, 09:38   #454
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb View Post
Don't you want it wired so either switch (rather than both) keeps the engine running? i.e. Helm 1 is on one switch with engine running, then Helm 2 comes along plugs into second switch, and the first helm pulls chord and walks away. Engine stays running all the time, unless both chords are tugged. Only one is chord is usually connected at a time apart from during changeover, when it requires both people to be thrown to stop engine.
It depends what your intention is! And, this is one of the risks with it - if people aren't quite sure they misunderstand and misuse, as well as just another electronic component to fail. All the more likely if people are using different boats with different configs.
Old 19 November 2014, 13:53   #455

RIBase
On a pb2 course I teach turning the engine off BEFORE removing the killcord. This means restarting the rib on the key maybe 50 or 60 times each day, basically every time we switch helms. That fine by me, that's what the battery is for, and it drums the process into the trainees so it becomes second nature for when they get their own rib

There are some exceptions. When we are using a pull start tiller steer (20hp) for part of the course some of the less strong trainees struggle to restart it. If that happens I say "I'll hold the killcord while you change over, but it should really be turned off". If I make the person that struggles restart the engine every time they get embarrassed about it, which then affects their learning of the current exercise. But on the electric start its engine off every time.
Old 19 November 2014, 15:26   #456

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Just ordered our lot of cords, the Suzuki design looks like it can be "hot" swapped, I'll be up at the boat to do some brake work so we can run it up on the muffs to test the theory.

To be brutally honest though, if our motor doesnt start after a kill cord activation we need to know this and we shouldn't be relying on it staying going all day if its that fussy. So no problem in changing our behaviour to switch off the engine to change drivers/helms.

The Milly accident has made our club think about this and move to a more safe safety culture so its good.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 15:48   #457

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Some remote throttles come with a spare kill switch plastic bit (no curly lead) stored in a purpose built slot
I think the idea of that is so that once the helm has gone for a swim the crew can restart & go fetch....... (read on)

Quote:
....but based on the people I am usually out with there are maybe 2 of the regulars that I would fully trust to come back to me & not knock me sensless with the bow were I bobbing in the brine......

As has been said dozens of times before - we are trying to legislate for human nature, which by it's very being is self destructive - we forget, we get complacent, and if things get so complicated to be foolproof a proportion of us will try to circumvent it for an easy life.

As someone who (as alluded to earlier) has a museum piece of an engine that is statistically less likely to restart, I still pull the cord off safely clear of the launch place. That's why I have an Aux.

And yes, I sail single handed most of the time so I take my cord off & leave the merc spluttering on the transom to tie up, but realistically if I go over the side in that situation I'm way more likely to die of either getting crushed between boat & pier or being knocked unconcious against pier or boat & drowning than being minced by the engine with it's mechanical neutral lock.

Never forget that every situation is differnet and should be appraised on it's own merits & risks. Wide brush policies are rarely the best option.