Old 07 May 2013, 19:42   #181

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
What caused the ejection is almost an irrelevance imv. I'm sure that the facts will be established in time. It's the whole killcord issue which is wrecking my head.
This guy was obviously an intelligent man, why would he endanger those so precious to him by not wearing a KC? A lack of experience,knowledge,training, awareness?
My close friend had dinner with him a few weeks ago. A father of quite a few children, with the time to build a house in the SW. Doesn't sound like a man to lose it and show off. Something untoward happened. Maybe we put it down to "accident".
But some judgements so far are uncalled for.

Old 08 May 2013, 02:13   #182

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken999 View Post
...life hangs by a thread...
Indeed.

Old 08 May 2013, 02:45   #183

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I dont want to get told off for speculating but there are a couple of things flying around that I'm struggling with.

Firstly, who shows off to their wife and kids? if you are showing off then you are prepared for a bumpy ride and hang on, more likely someone fell on the throttle or pushed it the wrong way.

Secondly, he was experienced and more than likely had a piece of paper of some sorts, who specs a boat up like that, along with racks and mirrors for towing when they have no idea? I also doubt he'd have been doing the job he was doing without any sense.
Old 08 May 2013, 03:24   #184

Town: Winchester
Boat name: Raven
Make: Westerly 33/Avon 310
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercedes 42 Toh9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Of course We all appreciate prevention is better than cure. My understanding is an unmanned boat will often move in ever decreasing circles. If you do find yourself in the water in this situation are there any options?
Very good question
Old 08 May 2013, 04:05   #185

Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
Just a wee note on kill cords i feel is a good time to point out, since a few of you reading these posts might be thinking of doubling up on them.
I bought two years ago on ebay for my old boat, a couple of months later was returning in quite hairy waters 5 miles out. It wasn't until i got to harbour that i noticed the cord was snapped in the middle, it brought home to me how close it could of been.
I stretched and pulled the other one in the boat box, within minutes it broke too.
Don't buy cheap kill cords.
All you experienced folk will know that already, i didnt at the time and was caught out. But i learned from that.
Old 08 May 2013, 04:17   #186

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I have had several break where they use a chrome plated mild steel hasp to clamp the cord to make the loop. It rots away where the two ends of the hasp meet and when tugged the loop undoes.

Might be worth doing a survey of the best and worse makes?
Old 08 May 2013, 04:19   #187

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I won't speculate on the past but learn for the future
Old 08 May 2013, 04:23   #188

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryesd View Post
Just a wee note on kill cords i feel is a good time to point out, since a few of you reading these posts might be thinking of doubling up on them.
I bought two years ago on ebay for my old boat, a couple of months later was returning in quite hairy waters 5 miles out. It wasn't until i got to harbour that i noticed the cord was snapped in the middle, it brought home to me how close it could of been.
I stretched and pulled the other one in the boat box, within minutes it broke too.
Don't buy cheap kill cords.
All you experienced folk will know that already, i didnt at the time and was caught out. But i learned from that.
Not even thought of that. Ours is 6 yrs old and hangs on the boat all year on the mooring.

Whilst only attached to a toggle switch, so not much force needed, I think a new one is in order!

To be fair it's not exactly coiled any more.

Re use of kill chords. From the age of baby to 21 through dorys to a Searider 5.4 with 90 opti, we never used KCs HORROR you all say!! Indeed.....But I grew up boating around casual fishermen in old boats and part time fair weather low budget sailors, who usually drank a bottle of whisky whilst out. KC's and pretty much lifejackets just weren't used by anyone in dinghys, dorys yachts, fishers or fletchers. 1970's foam rubbish buoyancy aids were given to younger kids, that was it. (In latter years in the SR we did always use the auto inflate LJs)

It was only then on buying our bigger rib, doing PB2 and being on here I realised the importance of them.

My point is that education is key, not legislation. Awareness of the issue imparted to those who will act once they understand is the main objective. Legislation in my eyes, just like in cars, doesn't stop the arrogant, stupid or irresponsible people out there.
Old 08 May 2013, 04:38   #189

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
The footage of the boat being brought under control is at or on the Doombar sandbars or just downtide by the looks of things. Doom Bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is for those who don't know the area, rather than criticism of those concerned. The Doombar is a dangerous spot, waves can appear even on a perfectly flat looking calm day due to the swell & tide running over the sandbars.

This is a typical Doombar wave, hence its a top windsurfing wavesailing spot, I'm a regular there. This is a Doombar wave, that could obviously cause problems to a boat at speed or even stationary. These waves simply appear from nowhere, even in light winds (They appear to, but the shallows are where they occur)

Old 08 May 2013, 04:50   #190

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesailing2004 View Post
i have removed the posters name but honestly for the 2 seconds it takes to put the KC on... if you trip while moving around the boat with it in gear and get ejected on a perfectly calm day how does that figure in your risk assessment?
Removed the poster's name??....sorry but how pathetic are you?

Probably not a good time to mention then that on occasion, I exceed the speed limit on the motorway then?

There are times also when i've walked through a hard hat zone without actually wearing one!

I've also been known to not wear safety goggles when using power tools.....

Now using your analogy.. I admit the chances of tripping and being ejected from a boat while moving at slow speed in perfectly calm waters is not impossible..........but like the examples given above...the risk is manageable.

I wrote the post in support of another members point that on occasion he doesnt wear a KC....So all of a sudden we've all become angels around here have we? Come on, how many others have driven a rib (in calm and controled conditions) without a KC?

I'm man enough to admit that even though its not best practice, i have done it. (When conditions allow)

Finally, read my second to last line of my post...

Sorry to distract from the real issues here...

Simon