Old 10 August 2004, 15:25   #1

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
tractors

Does anyone know of anyone who is selling a tractor capable of moving up to 4 tonne of RIB and trailer up and down a slipway? Or of any companies that sell tractors?
We are looking to buy a tractor in the Shamrock Quay area of Southampton.. so if anyone else has a boat around there and wants to get a simple solution to launching then why not by a share of a tractor...
Alex
Old 10 August 2004, 15:35   #2

Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Splitz
Make: Ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235015866
Was browsing at work today try this ... volvo tractor thought it was ideal front winch as well.
Old 10 August 2004, 15:36   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Tractor

Have a look on Ebay, there are quite a few, mate of mine bought one off of Ebay and got a bargain. If not try auto trader under Farm Machinery. Hope this helps.
Old 10 August 2004, 15:52   #4

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Hi Alex,

I told Stuart months ago that I would contribute 25% to the overall purchase cost of a suitable tractor on the specific proviso that EVERYBODY who uses it pays him a launch fee & a recovery fee every time it is used.

I am happy to leave it to Stuart to set the tariff as he sees fit.

By everybody, I mean just that; people who keep their boats with Stuart, other Saxon users, me included, visiting ribsters, visiting hardboaters and all the other people who conveniently drop in for a favour etc.

If a launch fee is not charged, it will become another cash drain with Stuart being responsible for fuel, repairs, maintenance and the value of this asset will quickly be eroded if the situation is abused.

My 25%, based upon the values that he was talking about, is available for him to draw upon as soon as he finds THE tractor.
Old 10 August 2004, 16:04   #5

Hi ya Brian,
Take a look at that volvo link from nautiboy.. have emailed the comapny am waiting for a reply.. I am kinda running witht he tractor idea now.. as that way will get done and stop stuart dunking the landy for favours to others..
We are looking about £2000 or so excluding VAT.. AT THE MOMENT...So just waiting for info back form the company then will let you know.. But yes launching facility and charging for it is good.
Alex
Old 10 August 2004, 16:11   #6
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbaws
Hi ya Brian,
Take a look at that volvo link from nautiboy..
think you will find it was from SteedThrust so can't take the Credit for this one.... sorry
Old 10 August 2004, 17:11   #7

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
I was at Calshot activity centre at the weekend and noticed they have one there for sale for £450, it looked a bit agricultral but i'd guess as the place is an activity centre and they haul some massive boats in and out that its been used for this very purpose......might be worth investigating a bit further.
Old 10 August 2004, 17:30   #8

Might wanna spend slightly more than £450.. just on the basis it might work for more than 5 minutes...
Seen a nice MasseyFerguson but that is £2800.. but is fully reconditioned and therefore working..
Also depends if anyone else wants to get in on buying shares in a tractor.. around Southampton area.. well more importantly Shamrock Quay area... the more people the better the tractor becomes or cheaper shares become in a good tractor...
£3000 divided by 4 people is £750...
5 people £600
6 people £500
expected up keep per year probably £100-£200 depending again on numbers and tyre useage.. but expected useage per week for launching ... 1hr per boat in and out. maybe 20 launches a week.. 1040 hrs a year... not much really...
Anyone interested????
Lets get 10 people and only then £300 each...
And yes if anyone else would like to be launched then a fee of say £30 in and out or £20 for just an in... well should hopefuly cover costs...
Would be possible to make it road legal to use at other slips too... I think cost to register them is only about £100....
So if in Shamrock Quay area and regularly launch your boat with a road car but don't like the salt water effect then why not go shares on a tractor...
Alex
Old 10 August 2004, 18:53   #9

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Bear in mind drivers wharf only charge 15 quid for a crane lift in and the boys do all the shoving and messing around, plus you don't get yer feet wet.
Old 10 August 2004, 19:07   #10

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Same at Sea-Palling (Norfolk) - it's £15 for them to launch (and recover) you with thier tractor.
Old 11 August 2004, 20:47   #11

Yeah buying shares in tractor depends how many times you intend to use it... as with boats.. thats why i went halves on boat shares.. as would be away for 8 months a year...
If you launch as much as us.. then well tractor becomes viable..
Old 12 August 2004, 07:06   #12

"Might wanna spend slightly more than £450.. just on the basis it might work for more than 5 minutes..."

......... Agree but it must be worth having a look at before you spend thousands on something that also might last five minutes ! you also have to bere in mind the tractors history and what its been used for, go buy one from a farm where its been used to plough fields and i'd expect it to have thousands of hours use, but maybe from a marina it might be a lot less and may have been mechanically looked after well, why spend thousands on something your only going to use for ten minutes to drag your boat in and out when you could spend hundreds instead ??
Old 12 August 2004, 07:19   #13

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Buy a dumper , they are cheaper and less complicated than a tractor (you don’t need hydraulic draft control, pto, ground speed control and 30 gears) they have better towing ability(4x4), better ground clearance and because you sit higher you have greater control.

Get a 4ton thwaites for £1000 ish. Take the skip off and add 2tons of ballast (old chain). Make sure it’s a key start one with a Ford 27** engine.
Des
Old 12 August 2004, 08:49   #14

Make: Ribtec
Engine: Yamaha F225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Buy a dumper , Des
Good call, Des.

And they're a lot more manoeuvrable. Even Stuart should be able to reverse one....(Just kidding, mate. I know you'll still struggle)
Old 12 August 2004, 15:02   #15

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
calshot tractor is sold.. itw as personally owned and not used for heavy use just a small rib
Old 12 August 2004, 16:30   #16

There you go .....see you missed out on a great deal with the Calshot tractor and its had hardly a hard life at all draging a small rib around.....now your going to have to go and spend thousands on vertually the same thing.

Why dont you have a look out for a Harris gun carrier, these babies are well hard and not only could you launch and recover your rib but you'd have the added functionality to shoot anyone that takes up the slipway.

Old 12 August 2004, 21:13   #17
RIBnet supporter

Hi BadBaws

I saw the following on Ebay, don't know if they are of any use to you

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...486974500&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...486702626&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...486987983&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...486967470&rd=1
Old 12 August 2004, 21:33   #18

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
If you have a reasonable weight car, why not buy a cheap electric winch, rated up to 5 tons, stick it on the towhitch and just roll it out (with jockeywheel down!) That way you wont get your car stuck on that ever so slippery ramp-o-disaster.

IF you go for a tractor, might be an idea to get a 4wd one... as 2WD often does not provide enough traction on the algae, and requires a 2nd tractor to pull it up the ramp in the first place

4wd, diff lock on both axles, that would do the trick! I think a small "compact" tractor would actually do the job, however they are quite costly, especially if you only use them every now and then...

I think cost wise i'd settle for a tow hitch electrical winch.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/id=108080183&ssPageName=L2

8000lbs one should do, i think you can get a towhitch kit for it... and the rolling weight down the ramp of the boat should not be as much as the trailer +boat itself, unless its really steep.

Bleh, it's just an idea... it helps my post counts go up, doesn't it.
Old 12 August 2004, 23:37   #19

would just be easier for movin tonne boat around yard with tractor.. rather than using winch.. we have a winch.. and long lengths of rope.. trust me I use a BMW 7 series for launching.. my wheels don't even get to the waterline.. but a tractor gives more uses than just slipway.. if has loader then becomes a mini forklift too.. As for dumper idea.. sounds good.. but I just like the idea of a tractor.. and compact ones well they are just as expsensive as the biguns...
Also using for example a yard tractor.. they don't work at 10pm or midnight.. when having worked on the boat ashore all day have to put it in for a quick spin or because tide is wrong next morning and boat is out on charter...