Closed Thread

Old 14 June 2019, 08:36   #1

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Towing with electric vehicles

In the not to distant future when I am dragged kicking and screaming from my very un PC diesel 4x4 is there an electric alternative on the horizon that will enable me to tow a heavy rib a decent distance?
Old 14 June 2019, 08:44   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Interesting article here ! Not sure that it actually answers your question though :-)

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...tm_source=SFMC
Old 14 June 2019, 08:58   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
In the not to distant future when I am dragged kicking and screaming from my very un PC diesel 4x4 is there an electric alternative on the horizon that will enable me to tow a heavy rib a decent distance?

In a word no
Make that dinosaur burner last another 10 years & you might be in with a chance.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Old 14 June 2019, 09:17   #4

Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
What happens when you reverse electric vehicle down the slipway and the wheels into the sea? I use an Audi Q7 and take it back so the rear wheels are about 8" in and the exhaust is a couple of inches above the waterline. It would only take a freak wave to wash over the back. I know my car will be fine but if it was electric.... I'm not convinced water and electricity mix.
Old 14 June 2019, 09:24   #5

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Bit more reading for you:
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/blog...-electric-cars
Old 14 June 2019, 09:36   #6

The electric Defender that Land Rover built as a development vehicle a few years back had a better wading depth than the diesel powered version. Around 800mm if I remember correctly.

But, battery capacity and towing would be the issue. Not torque though.
Old 14 June 2019, 10:03   #7

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
What happens when you reverse electric vehicle down the slipway and the wheels into the sea? I use an Audi Q7 and take it back so the rear wheels are about 8" in and the exhaust is a couple of inches above the waterline. It would only take a freak wave to wash over the back. I know my car will be fine but if it was electric.... I'm not convinced water and electricity mix.
If you think reversing any conventional vehicle that far into the sea is fine , then sooner or later you ( or the next owner ) will be in for a nasty shock . That salty water gets everywhere and the rot starts............
Old 14 June 2019, 11:54   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
yep keep the diesel till you have to get rid my neighbour has a self charging toyota and gets 55 mpg out of it on a long run i get just short of 70 with my diesel mini call me old fashioned but where is the ecological saving
Old 14 June 2019, 12:51   #9

Town: always under way
Length: under 3m
You can't get much better energy density than with direct chemical energy - battery tech just doesn't cut the mustard for practical traction.

The problem is that transport policy is set by townies who have multiple choices when it comes to transport and only need a set of AA's to do a bagel run. Try telling an impoverished hill farmer that they need to change their (only) vehicle for a Scalextric.....mind you they'll be perfectly safe when the powers that be come to enforce things. Big Brother probably wouldn't get up a farm track on a Segway.

I keep thinking of some folks we sort of know who drove to Scotland from down south in their Nissan Leaf - it took them twice as long as everyone else. Lots of time to self congratulate over planet saving quietly ignoring the tons of NOX and sulphur chucked out by the ship that brought their battery from far over the briny. This is the nonsense that's peddled about the environment and climate change. Small changes to our habits and buying practices would have a far larger impact than government 'drives'. Welsh slate might be more expensive for your rockery than Chinese but you can't say it's pollution efficient to drag this or kitchen granite from abroad when we have an abundance here. Ah, but then you'd have to dig a hole in the British countryside and we can't have that now can we. Yet one of the most ecologically diverse areas in the National Park where I live is a (soon to close) sand pit - no dog walkers (btw I'm a dog owner!).

Lastly, when we've all been forced into electric vehicles how are all those people without garages going to charge them? Will they dig up the pavements outside every house for charging points or is it time for a career change into law - for all those negligence claims as the whole world trips over extension leads ££££.

Rant over.
Old 14 June 2019, 13:21   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hook View Post
You can't get much better energy density than with direct chemical energy - battery tech just doesn't cut the mustard for practical traction.

The problem is that transport policy is set by townies who have multiple choices when it comes to transport and only need a set of AA's to do a bagel run. Try telling an impoverished hill farmer that they need to change their (only) vehicle for a Scalextric.....mind you they'll be perfectly safe when the powers that be come to enforce things. Big Brother probably wouldn't get up a farm track on a Segway.

I keep thinking of some folks we sort of know who drove to Scotland from down south in their Nissan Leaf - it took them twice as long as everyone else. Lots of time to self congratulate over planet saving quietly ignoring the tons of NOX and sulphur chucked out by the ship that brought their battery from far over the briny. This is the nonsense that's peddled about the environment and climate change. Small changes to our habits and buying practices would have a far larger impact than government 'drives'. Welsh slate might be more expensive for your rockery than Chinese but you can't say it's pollution efficient to drag this or kitchen granite from abroad when we have an abundance here. Ah, but then you'd have to dig a hole in the British countryside and we can't have that now can we. Yet one of the most ecologically diverse areas in the National Park where I live is a (soon to close) sand pit - no dog walkers (btw I'm a dog owner!).

Lastly, when we've all been forced into electric vehicles how are all those people without garages going to charge them? Will they dig up the pavements outside every house for charging points or is it time for a career change into law - for all those negligence claims as the whole world trips over extension leads ££££.

Rant over.

Diesel still rules for now...when you consider the UK contributes less than 2% of all Greenhouse gasses Globally ...and the Chinese and Indians still building large amounts of Coal fired power stations and both still on an upward curve!
And the UK doing well in its carbon targets compared to most!
....You needn't loose TOO much sleep!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 14 June 2019, 14:01   #11

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Battery powered cars........................

Tomorrow's Betamax tapes. Hydrogen, the way to go.
Old 14 June 2019, 14:21   #12

Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
If you think reversing any conventional vehicle that far into the sea is fine , then sooner or later you ( or the next owner ) will be in for a nasty shock . That salty water gets everywhere and the rot starts............

Oh yes but I do always make sure to give it a good wash underneath with fresh water after. It's only a few times a year. I can life the chassis on the air suspension also which really just means it's the alloys and plastic bits that get wet.

Also, for a car only worth £4-5K there isn't much to worry about long term.
Old 14 June 2019, 15:05   #13

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Work wanted t be green so the 2l Insignia has just been replaced for a Ioniq from Hyundai.

A lovely car to drive, does 10 miles per gallon less then the 2l Diesel on fuel that has been refined further then the diesel and supported by batteries with components mined from middle earth.

The tow limit being 750 kg it's about as much use for anything other then motorway driving as a chocolate fireguard. The 2l Rav 4 I've bought for towing is great though, so not only have worked issued cars that are less green then we had before, I'm now running two to enable me to tow

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
Old 14 June 2019, 15:12   #14

Town: Cardiff
Worry about an electric tow vehicle until you see electric tractors....
Old 14 June 2019, 15:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Work wanted t be green so the 2l Insignia has just been replaced for a Ioniq from Hyundai.

A lovely car to drive, does 10 miles per gallon less then the 2l Diesel on fuel that has been refined further then the diesel and supported by batteries with components mined from middle earth.

The tow limit being 750 kg it's about as much use for anything other then motorway driving as a chocolate fireguard. The 2l Rav 4 I've bought for towing is great though, so not only have worked issued cars that are less green then we had before, I'm now running two to enable me to tow

Interesting but does the reduced tax bill off set the additional costs?

I was in a similar situation wasn't forced to take a hybrid (but options were less than appealing) so opted out took the cash and have a diesel SUV that isn't even 4wd...
Old 14 June 2019, 15:38   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Interesting but does the reduced tax bill off set the additional costs?

I was in a similar situation wasn't forced to take a hybrid (but options were less than appealing) so opted out took the cash and have a diesel SUV that isn't even 4wd...
We don't have a cash option, the only saving would have been the tax bill, difference between the two is about £30 a month cheaper - so it does help, but to be honest an old run about 4x4 (if only a pretend one) is handy to have

Old 14 June 2019, 16:12   #17

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Battery powered cars........................

Tomorrow's Betamax tapes. Hydrogen, the way to go.
Someone's been doing research!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 14 June 2019, 16:34   #18

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I also have a big Q and fortunately don't have to wet the tyres to launch.
However did you know the rear diff has an air vent that when dipped enough over time can pull in sufficient water to kill the diff? For the price of an oil change it's worth getting it done for peace of mind if you are at risk.
Old 14 June 2019, 17:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
We don't have a cash option, the only saving would have been the tax bill, difference between the two is about £30 a month cheaper - so it does help, but to be honest an old run about 4x4 (if only a pretend one) is handy to have
Don’t blame you the RAV4 is pretty good ..... for a hairdressers car

Mk1 or a later model without a centre diff lock?
Old 14 June 2019, 20:33   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Don’t blame you the RAV4 is pretty good ..... for a hairdressers car
Long wheel base so not so much a hairdressers as car, more a pony club special

Quote:
Mk1 or a later model without a centre diff lock?
I don't think it has the diff, she's a 2005 so I think it's a mk2??

Closed Thread