Old 01 October 2013, 10:42   #1

Town: plymouth
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 verado
Towing restrictions

Im looking at getting a bigger rib but was wondering about the towing restrictions....google came up with a multitude of drivel that still didint answer it!

The boat is a 9m on a twin axle 3500kg trailer...The boat is very beamy and i reckon the boat and trailer has got to be at least 35ft long.

I know I can take up to 3500kg if the car can take it(L200?) but I m not sure about the width and length restrictions.

Any help appreciated
Old 01 October 2013, 11:00   #2

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Think it's max 7m plus draw bar and 3m wide........mines over size and any distance I deflate my tubes , so far no issues with plod
Old 01 October 2013, 11:37   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I don't think an L200 can't legally tow 3500kgs.

2700kgs rings a bell.

Nasher
Old 01 October 2013, 12:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I don't think an L200 can't legally tow 3500kgs.

2700kgs rings a bell.

Nasher
I dont think it can either....Would a 9m rib with twin 150s weigh 3 tonne?

Failing that, got my old mans landcruiser....that could probably tow the Queen Mary!
Old 01 October 2013, 14:48   #5

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
L200 is definitely not legit !!

You will be needing a 3.5ton tow weight for that, big Landcruisers (not the smaller Prado's) Big Patrol, most Landies & the Daihatsu Fourtrak will do the job.
Old 01 October 2013, 17:05   #6

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Engine: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Im looking at getting a bigger rib but was wondering about the towing restrictions....google came up with a multitude of drivel that still didint answer it!

The boat is a 9m on a twin axle 3500kg trailer...The boat is very beamy and i reckon the boat and trailer has got to be at least 35ft long.

I know I can take up to 3500kg if the car can take it(L200?) but I m not sure about the width and length restrictions.

Any help appreciated
More details please, what breed of rib, what breed of trailer engines 4 stroke or 2 ?
Old 01 October 2013, 21:32   #7

Twin 150 4 strokes
Old 01 October 2013, 21:39   #8

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
My friend tows his 10m protector copy, tubes deflated with a pair of 150 four strokes all over the place, he did have a Jeep thing, now a Land Rover and has never had a problem - mind you he also has disc brakes which I gather is a no no over here, guess once the trailer Euro MOT comes in he'll be converting them.
Old 03 October 2013, 23:16   #9

With a tow vehicle up to 3500kg gross you can tow a trailer up to 7 metres long (not including the drawbar or coupling) and 2.55 metres wide, you are also allowed up to a 2 metre overhang which must be clearly marked at the end (normally a piece of bright cloth or a high vis vest). For anything longer you need a towing vehicle over 3500kg gross weight.

Is 35 feet an accurate figure or are you just guessing? As the standard full-length articulated lorry trailers are only 44 feet long and that's pretty damn big.

All Land Rovers (excluding Freelander) will tow 3.5 tonnes, in fact the Defender can actually tow 4 tonnes if a suitable braking system is fitted on the trailer (overrun is not allowed above 3.5T).
Old 04 October 2013, 06:28   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
With a tow vehicle up to 3500kg gross you can tow a trailer up to 7 metres long (not including the drawbar or coupling) and 2.55 metres wide, you are also allowed up to a 2 metre overhang which must be clearly marked at the end (normally a piece of bright cloth or a high vis vest). For anything longer you need a towing vehicle over 3500kg gross weight.

Is 35 feet an accurate figure or are you just guessing? As the standard full-length articulated lorry trailers are only 44 feet long and that's pretty damn big.

All Land Rovers (excluding Freelander) will tow 3.5 tonnes, in fact the Defender can actually tow 4 tonnes if a suitable braking system is fitted on the trailer (overrun is not allowed above 3.5T).
Length rules don't apply to "indivisible loads" (which boats are).
Old 04 October 2013, 06:55   #11

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
what weight is stamped on the trailer? if it says 3500kg, then in the eyes of the law it is a 3500kg trailer whether it weighs that or not.
Old 04 October 2013, 20:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Interesting.
Old 04 October 2013, 20:39   #13

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
I think an indivisible load becomes an abnormal load as soon as it goes over 3.00 m wide or more than 18.50 m long .
Also why boats classed as an indivisible load only needed white forward facing outer marker lights during hours of darkness unlike other trailers eg caravan that are compulsory all the time .
Old 04 October 2013, 20:39   #14

Well I just found this:

Could be worth a sticky thread.
Old 05 October 2013, 08:50   #15

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
You can go round in circles for days over towing. Even if you're legal if it looks unsafe or wrong they will take you off the road. The golden rule I work by is. If it looks right they won't look any closer. It's rare you get a batard cop nowadays. They don't want the work. If it looks like it's going to fall off the trailer or you're going down the motorway at 10 mph you're going to get nicked
Old 05 October 2013, 09:12   #16

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
On motorway cops they pulled a transit flatbed towing a plant trailer with a mini digger on, because it came up on the anpr as having no insurance. They pulled off and the trailer had no number plate on! But that didn't seem to bother the police and was on tv!

Always best to have working lights, number plate, proper lashings, mudguards, safety chain and then less likely to be stopped. Towing too much with a small car - we know the answer to this
Old 05 October 2013, 09:18   #17

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
You can go round in circles for days over towing. Even if you're legal if it looks unsafe or wrong they will take you off the road. The golden rule I work by is. If it looks right they won't look any closer. It's rare you get a batard cop nowadays. They don't want the work. If it looks like it's going to fall off the trailer or you're going down the motorway at 10 mph you're going to get nicked

Absolutely agree. BUT, if you're towing in/through Cheshire be warned; the local traffic plod have all been through some 'intensive' training over the past 6 months re. the law as it applies to towing because it had been identified (by themselves) that most of them simply didn't know the rules and regs in sufficient detail...

I'm reliably informed that they're now fully conversant and happy to put their newly found knowledge to the test.

Having said all that, I'm amazed at some of the sights I see being towed (dragged) along our roads on occasions where, as Biffer says, you don't need a detailed knowledge of the law to know that it's just not safe.
Old 05 October 2013, 10:01   #18

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Correct to a point. They only don't apply if the load cannot be carried on a vehicle conforming to C&U regulations ie if the boat could be carried on a artic, then you cannot use the indivisible load exemption.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2013, 10:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
what weight is stamped on the trailer? if it says 3500kg, then in the eyes of the law it is a 3500kg trailer whether it weighs that or not.
As far as driving licences and tachographs are concerned, yes. As far as towing vehicles are concerned, it would be perfectly legal to tow a 3500kg plated trailer behind a vehicle not rated to tow that weight, provided the actual weight of the trailer was inside the vehicle's towing capacity.
Old 05 October 2013, 10:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
I think an indivisible load becomes an abnormal load as soon as it goes over 3.00 m wide or more than 18.50 m long .
Also why boats classed as an indivisible load only needed white forward facing outer marker lights during hours of darkness unlike other trailers eg caravan that are compulsory all the time .
Anything above 2.9m wide or 18.75m long is classed as an abnormal load. These require a 2 day notification to police along with extra marking and lighting depending on the size of the load.