Old 08 October 2013, 06:40   #61

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
As far as I know there is no licence defined limit on the maximum weight of a trailer towed by a category B vehicle

Correct for people who passed their B+E test prior to 19th January 2013 there is no trailer weight limit as far as their driving licences are concerned. I used to own a mini artic with a Cab GVW of 3500kg (8700kg GTW) and Trailer GVW of 6700kg which could be driven on a B+E licence.

Anyone passing their B+E test after 19th January 2013 has a 3500kg towing limit.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2013, 07:09   #62

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz11 View Post
I have been a transport manager for over 15 years, plated weight is all that matters, if the plate says 3500 kg then the vehicles towing capacity must be 3500 kg or higher, regardless of wether it is loaded or not. I was told by a Vosa inspector years ago that we couldn't tow our 3.5t ifor trailer with an L200 as it's towing capacity was 2.7 ton. The pickup and empty trailer were parked in our yard at the time and he said ' I better not see that rig on the road or I'll have your operators licence' .
As far as driving licences, tachographs and operators licences are concerned you are correct that plated weight is all that matters.

As far as vehicles are concerned, it is actual weights that count. As long as the vehicle does not exceed its GVW, the trailer does not exceed its GVW and the two combined do not exceed the towing vehicle's GTW then you are legal.

Unfortunately there are many police and VOSA who do not fully understand the law themselves. My mini artic was stopped by both police and VOSA who tried telling me I didn't have the correct licence to drive it, but after I insisted that I did they checked the rule book and agreed that I was correct.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2013, 07:24   #63

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Still following this thread with delight and I'm going to quote from my earlier post. FECKUM
Old 08 October 2013, 09:02   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Boat Transport View Post

Correct for people who passed their B+E test prior to 19th January 2013 there is no trailer weight limit as far as their driving licences are concerned. I used to own a mini artic with a Cab GVW of 3500kg (8700kg GTW) and Trailer GVW of 6700kg which could be driven on a B+E licence.

Anyone passing their B+E test after 19th January 2013 has a 3500kg towing limit.
Actually that only affect people who passed BOTH B and B+E after 19/01/13. It just imposes a maximum trailer gross weight of 3500kg, which lets be honest is going to affect barely anyone at all as like we both know it's rare to find a suitable tow vehicle and trailer to exceed that.

Anyone who has B+E is not affected providing they got B before 19/01/13. As if it wasn't complicated enough already