Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins View Post
Sorry I meant Bowline. Climbing rope is good as it is very strong.

Simon
Simon,

The climbing rope and S/S ring end....have you ever heard of climbing rope used in the way before; i'm a little dubious as to whether I could splice it to a large S/S hard eye which would be my preferred option. is this type of rope compatible with splicing?

Old 22 February 2007, 10:26   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Climbing rope is dreadful stuff, after a while the salt water will make it very stiff and difficult to handle. Diving club used to be given the stuff when the climbers no longer had any confidence in it. Also it doesn't have any give. Why not use some 10 - 12 mm 3 strand normal rope, a length of 40 metres on board will double up for lots of different uses including long mooring lines and it will splice.

Ensure the boat being towed is nose up, eg no one standing in the bow or it will tend to bow steer uncontrollably all over the place. Outboard down can give the towed boat some steerage, but exceed about 12 knots with the engine switched on and in gear and she will bump start

Pete

Old 22 February 2007, 10:29   #13

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Also it doesn't have any give.

We used to use old climbing ropes to moor yachts up, for the simple reason that they were fairly springy and acted to some extent as shock absorbers...
Old 22 February 2007, 10:32   #14

Town: Cork
Boat name: Dalesman
Make: Excalibur 6.8
Engine: Merc 1.7 diesel
towed this 7.5 Excalibur back (with a blown engine)from strumble to Cork at an average 22knots. SS carabina to a bridle on the tow rib with about 100' of rope between us. carabina was a bit mishapen in the end , but no other probs. driver of the towed boat said it was the best 5hr white water raft ride he'd ever had!

jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0839.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	25160  
Old 22 February 2007, 10:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

We used to use old climbing ropes to moor yachts up, for the simple reason that they were fairly springy and acted to some extent as shock absorbers...
Not compared to 10mm nylon, it really was horrible stiff stuff after it had dried out, we gave up on it as it wasn't easy to coil and handle.

Pete
Old 22 February 2007, 10:35   #16
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
or use one or more of the Rubber Mooring Compensator things on normal 3 ply line would provide it with some "give". but as suggested adding some form of float to the line close to the towing boat would prevent any rope to prop situations.
Old 22 February 2007, 10:36   #17

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Climbing rope is dreadful stuff, after a while the salt water will make it very stiff and difficult to handle. Diving club used to be given the stuff when the climbers no longer had any confidence in it. Also it doesn't have any give. Why not use some 10 - 12 mm 3 strand normal rope, a length of 40 metres on board will double up for lots of different uses including long mooring lines and it will splice.

Ensure the boat being towed is nose up, eg no one standing in the bow or it will tend to bow steer uncontrollably all over the place. Outboard down can give the towed boat some steerage, but exceed about 12 knots with the engine switched on and in gear and she will bump start

Pete
Well that surprises me,the whole reason I was going down the climbing rope route was because the rope had give in it (so a falling climber dosen't get a broken back..) however it was an assumption I made.

The old rib did the all over the place steery thing (mainly when I forgot it was there and allowed the speed to climb) a,glance back to see the rib taking a fit, a loud "fork" and a dive for throttles.

the eyes under either side of the rib are supposed to stop that, the pull is from further back which should lift the bow...
Old 22 February 2007, 10:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
The old rib did the all over the place steery thing (mainly when I forgot it was there and allowed the speed to climb) a,glance back to see the rib taking a fit, a loud "fork" and a dive for throttles. The eyes under either side of the rib are supposed to stop that, the pull is from further back which should lift the bow...
Towed Jimbos Tohatsu back from Cowes a couple of years ago at 15 knots. However the boat was empty (no one on board) , so nose light and it towed in a straight line. Towed another rib back from Rathlin but big heavy diver stood in the bow and caused her to bow steer. He was politely invited to move to the stern and the problem stopped. Final lesson we learnt was towing a 5.5m BMW along Portland Bill with Evinrude 115 engine and a flat battery. At 12 knots the cox could hear a "turbine" noise from the prop. He put it in gear and the boat slowed, back into neutral and up to 12 knots she bump started second time much to everyones astonishment.

Pete
Old 22 February 2007, 11:02   #19

Quote:
Towed Jimbos Tohatsu back from Cowes a couple of years ago at 15 knots.
This was before it belonged to me
Old 22 February 2007, 11:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
This was before it belonged to me
Yep, she tows really well and I was pleasantly suprised to get both boats up on the plane.