Old 13 May 2007, 13:28   #11

Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
I use a 10m rope at Warsash. However, I've learnt the hard way to avoid getting the hitch wet. It cost me £180 to replace the two dampers and draw bar!

I'd suggest using low stretch rope. This way if the rope fails it will fly about less. I've not tested this; this is what I've been told.

Finally, I bought an roll end at around 50% discount. This way I get a breaking strain of around 7,500 Kg.

Old 13 May 2007, 14:08   #12

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw156 View Post
I use a 10m rope at Warsash. However, I've learnt the hard way to avoid getting the hitch wet. It cost me £180 to replace the two dampers and draw bar!
Oh well thats another big bill I've got coming my way. Mines been under the water several times.

Old 13 May 2007, 16:13   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
...If I remember correct the nose weight should be 50 KGs on a caravan. Is it different for a boat.
biggles, - I believe 50 kg is rule of thumb for any trailer. This is enough that it takes two hands and a conscious effort to lift but not so much its a struggle. The ideal weight should be defined in your CAR's manual.
Old 13 May 2007, 16:15   #14

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
we carry a webbing tow strap from Towsure with shackles each end. Only short but rolls up a lot neater than rope and tucks away in a pocket at back of car so its always there. Apart from giving stability probs when towing, lack of nose weight can be dangerous when backing over the crest of a steep slipway. As the angle changes the CoG will move backwards and the hitch will become very light! It may come off if the securing bit of the hitch is worn. Seen it happen here, no secondary attachment, and the only time I have ever seen that particular slipway so quite. The outfit careered down the concrete and over the side onto the mud. Anyone behind the unit on the slipway would have been killed
Old 13 May 2007, 16:18   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Jardon View Post
with the nose weight issue, if i keep the engine trimmed up (which it hopfully always is when pulling the boat out) then the rear cradle of the trailer touchs down first so we are fine there.
Its still not a pleasant experience to watch in your rear view mirror (trust me!). If you decide to rely on this I suggest you secure the boat firmly to the trailer before pulling it up - in case she bounces off if the trailer does tip...