Old 22 April 2009, 21:52   #1

Town: earth
Length: no boat
Tough rib wanted - advice needed

Hi There, first post, looks like a nice meeting spot for rib enthusiast.

Im looking to purchase a rib and feel that I would need some advice on what to consider as well as what to stay away from...
Im sure there are many questions like mine but to my defense I have used the search function with to many results to even know where to start.

Anyway, Im looking for a tough rib... with that I mean Im interested in a rib that is seaworthy... Im less interested in looks, just something reliable (if it looks good thats ok as well).

We are a family of 5... me, my wife, 1 upper teenager and two 9/10 year olds.
Is it correct to assume that something around 6.5 meters would be more then enough for us + occasional company?

I feel very inclined towards a British rib as I get the impression they in general can cope with tougher conditions then lets say the average Italian rib (I might be wrong though).

How flexible are the makers in terms of layout?
Having children I would rather have the console in the back with good view of the passengers in front of me.

So... any recommendations?
It has to be something tough... think in terms of rescue/patrol/military kind of grade at a reasonable price.
I really dont need flashy sofas and leather sunbeds just a good reliable transportation that could take me home on a bad day.

Budget? Between 20-30,000 new or used.

Thanks
Old 22 April 2009, 23:58   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Welcome to RIBnet.

Hmm. Nice open brief there!

Well tough tends to equal a more commercial rib. You could consider a second hand Delta. There are a few on Apollo Duck you could look at.

The ex Navy artics and pacific are very tough but they are very heavy, so heavy they can't be easily towed and nice ones can be hard to come by.

Ribcrafts and some of the early Ribtecs have crossed over from leisure to the commercial market pretty well.

Jockey seats tend to give you a much safer feeling and unless your little uns are very small they will be much better choice than bench seats.

I would be tempted to buy second hand with your budget. You will get much more for your money doing it this way.

Chris
Old 23 April 2009, 01:53   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Just a bit of clarification: Are you looking for tough, as in "Going to be running into things", or tough as in "something that will handle rough water"?

If the former, I'd say to try to avoid hitting things.

If the latter, well, you're probably generally right about the British RIBs being more capable than the mainstream Italian boats. Somebody more familiar with those will comment on them, I'm sure.

jky
Old 23 April 2009, 05:16   #4

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
...Ribcraft...have crossed over from leisure to the commercial market pretty well...
We had the same brief as was outlined in the original post...got a new Ribcraft 5.3 last December...very pleased and would recommend them highly
Old 23 April 2009, 06:24   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
where is your cruising area?
Old 23 April 2009, 06:57   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
We had the same brief as was outlined in the original post...got a new Ribcraft 5.3 last December...very pleased and would recommend them highly

For a family of five + friends

Must be good friends
Old 23 April 2009, 07:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
For a family of five + friends

Must be good friends
Same brief of boat, not family (although the boat is rated by Ribcraft for up to 8)
Old 23 April 2009, 07:43   #8

That's the ce plate presumably, if so that's more an indication of carrying capacity than comfort. My lovely SR4.7 is also rated for eight but the fkkrs would have to be standing up
Old 23 April 2009, 08:25   #9

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
As CJL said, you won't go far wrong with Delta - absolutely rock solid, in use with a lot of the emergency services and military so built to be abused.

Halmatic (Pacific 22 for example) are built like a brick sh-thouse, and easy to reconfigure should you need to.

Humber are worth a look, especially a used Quinqari commercial.

As has been said, you'll get a lot more value buying used - it's even worth looking at the RNLI disposals for an Atlantic 75 if you want something virtually indestructible.
Old 23 April 2009, 08:27   #10

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
I can recommend an Avon 620. We are very pleased with ours.

Mine cost £21,000 all in.

Andy
Old 23 April 2009, 10:03   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I think folks might be over specifying the toughness here? All those commercial spec boats are great - but they will already be quite well "used" to get into your budget. I am guessing you want something robust rather than bomb proof. Family cruising is unlikely to require the sort of toughness that the oil industry and military require - but will benefit from good quality kit that doesn't break, a hull design that copes well with rough water and a seat layout that is comfortable for all.

Passengers in front of the console is sensible in your situation for the reasons you suggest - but not that common. There are some disadvantages which you might want to think about - the further forward the rougher the ride (generally), no protection from wind, spray that you get from the console, no sight of instruments, chart plotter etc which can keep kids entertained on longer trips.

Any of the custom builders in the UK should be able to provide layout to suit your needs, whatever you decide - if you are going new build.

So I would suggest your list might include:

Humber, Osprey, Ribcraft, XS, Redbay, Excalibur, Parker - for new or nearly new there are probably others I have forgotten

I wouldn't rule out some of the more sportier styled ribs either - e.g. Leeway, Solent, Ribeye, Shakespeare - as in reality they will all survive what most people would do with them. Even Bannashark who are very much at the "fast" end of the market - would probably create something to suit.

Older second hand boats would be Delta, Tornado, Halmatic, Avon Seariders etc - but getting one that doesn't need TLC if "a project" is not your thing may not be so easy.
Old 23 April 2009, 12:15   #12

Quote:
To keep everyone happy I'll edit my post...

"We had the same sort of boat spec in mind as was outlined in the original post. Got a new Ribcraft last December...very pleased and would recommend them highly "
Old 23 April 2009, 13:18   #13

Town: Hampshire
Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki 175hp
In honesty you could look for ages, but my recomendation would be the Ribcraft, built in the uk, good warranty, nice bunch of guys, impeccable build quality, excellent sea keeping (deep v hull), they supply commercial and leisure.

I bought the attached 6.5m a couple of years ago, and to be honest use it as a taxi most of the time, but had a few long trips in it too and done some really rather windy and choppy conditions of force 7 at a guess.

I had the 5.85 before, and to be honest i think the 6.5 (now called a 6.4) is worth the extra cash.

Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8699c.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	42115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8557c.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	42116  
Old 23 April 2009, 13:21   #14

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Humber Ocean Pro. (or possibly a Humber Destroyer, narrower beam but exceptional in rough water)
Old 23 April 2009, 13:38   #15
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
If I had that sort of ££££ to spend on a new rib for that sort of use. Humber would be on the top of the list. they have got some good deals on just now too. very handy for you.
Old 23 April 2009, 14:59   #16

Quote:
To keep everyone happy I'll edit my post...

"We had the same sort of boat spec in mind as was outlined in the original post. Got a new Ribcraft last December...very pleased and would recommend them highly "
Thank you very much that's cheered me up no end
Old 23 April 2009, 20:00   #17

Town: Douglas
Humber currently have a new 7.5m Offshore (ID number 368) on offer at a considerably reduced price and ready to go. It really is a fantastic boat so I suggest you have a look on their site, there are others to choose from as well.
Old 23 April 2009, 21:30   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquido View Post
Having children I would rather have the console in the back with good view of the passengers in front of me.

It has to be something tough... think in terms of rescue/patrol/military kind of grade at a reasonable price.

..just a good reliable transportation that could take me home on a bad day.

Budget? Between 20-30,000 new or used.

Thanks
This any good guys?
http://www.redbayboats.com/RC/viewad...74653349100001
Bit pricey perhaps...
Old 24 April 2009, 10:31   #19

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypman View Post
Humber currently have a new 7.5m Offshore (ID number 368) on offer at a considerably reduced price and ready to go. It really is a fantastic boat so I suggest you have a look on their site, there are others to choose from as well.
Our club looked at buying that boat, went up for a look. It wasnt suitable for our diving brief but it's cracking boat. Higher sprec tubes, lots of extras on them. I can post our pics if you like.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 15:37   #20

Town: Knutsford
Boat name: Red Jelly
Make: Narwhall 520
Engine: 1998 Mariner 75hp
In my Area (Trearddur Bay, Wales), that is most people's spec of boats!

Names I'd recommend are definatley Delta, Humber and Ribcraft! I have lots of experience with these boats brands and with the acception of ribcraft they are extremely easy to configure.

Names i'd stay away from are definatley ribeye, they are nice boats, look good, cheap, nice ride etc but any kinda sea and they break!

The seast's in front of the helm is an interesting lesuire choice but sure delta would be happy to help and humber probably have a standard template for what your looking for!