Old 06 September 2014, 22:45   #1

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Tornado5.4

Hi, guys I'm looking for advise regards the tornado 5.4, 2001 with 75 mercury supplied by Barnett marine so would assume not a Chinese imported hull.
Both rib and outboard in excellent condition for its age. Looking for advise on its sea keeping and handling ability if any one has owned or used this package.
Old 07 September 2014, 07:45   #2

Town: Near oswestry
Boat name: Billy may
Make: Tornado 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
MMSI: 235109146
Hi mate, I have one,minus the tubes at the moment!!! Brilliant boat in all weather,not that keen on pu tubes tho,will never have them again,my only concern is that it slightly under powered ,I have a yam 90, think that's what it's max rating is,,75hp fully loaded?

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Old 07 September 2014, 08:11   #3

Length: 3m +
What's wrong with PU tubes. Most people I've seen slag them off don't have them so come across as 'I have hypalon, so anything else is rubbish' ... So what's your real world experience of them?
Old 07 September 2014, 08:20   #4

Town: Near oswestry
Boat name: Billy may
Make: Tornado 5.3
Engine: 90 yamaha
MMSI: 235109146
Hi, this is just my own case,can't comment on others,,mine were getting on a bit in years and looked shocking,fading very bad,nearly all the seams have been or needed to be repaired,very hard to repair,,and never ever paint them cos it don't stick to pu as I found out at my expense ,,I have seen hypalon tubes of similar age and they almost look new compared with mine, lets just say the pleasure I had getting the Stanley knife to them was priceless. And then taking them to the skip were they belong, end of!!!

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Old 07 September 2014, 09:07   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
What's wrong with PU tubes. Most people I've seen slag them off don't have them so come across as 'I have hypalon, so anything else is rubbish' ... So what's your real world experience of them?
I had PU toobs as well. after 7 years they were shagged!! Sun bleached and worn out hence they are cheaper initially. How many commercial vessels you know have PU tubes?
Barely any for one reason which should now be obvious
Old 07 September 2014, 09:27   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Couple of my mates have Tornado ribs and like them. I can't comment on the PU tubes, as I've no experience of them.

They're fast if powered with a 2-stroke 90hp. I'd agree that 75hp would be a little underpowered but perfectly usable. They're susceptible to a little chine walking if trimmed too far at WOT, but that can be said of a number of RIBs. There's probably not as much space on board as you'd think as they're very narrow at the bow.

This was me a few years ago (Zodiac Pro) running tandem on a trip from Gardenstown to Rosehearty. Apologies in advance for the soundtrack.

Old 07 September 2014, 09:46   #7

My understanding of PU was it bleached but didn't significantly affect the fabric. Brown PU windows are the same!!
Failed seams are they glued? I gather Tornado now weld them?
Old 07 September 2014, 09:47   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
I retubed mine 2 years ago to get rid of the sh*gged old pu ones and repowered with a 90 from a 75. The hull has very aggressive spray rails and handles like a boat a good bit longer in hull length, probably one of the best hulls Ive had on all my ribs.

The 75 is fine if you've not much load, ie 2 just cruising, but once its loaded up, it will struggle.
Old 07 September 2014, 14:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I retubed mine 2 years ago to get rid of the sh*gged old pu ones and repowered with a 90 from a 75. The hull has very aggressive spray rails and handles like a boat a good bit longer in hull length, probably one of the best hulls Ive had on all my ribs.

The 75 is fine if you've not much load, ie 2 just cruising, but once its loaded up, it will struggle.
Does yours have a built in fuel tank or are you using portable tanks, and what is the beam of the tornado. the tubes on the one I'm after look in prestige condition, must have been well covered and I think stored inside. So hopefully a few years left on them. who retubed your rib and roughly how much to retube it.
Looking forward
Old 07 September 2014, 16:33   #10

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Great hull, but as above, time will really age the PU...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	# 5.4 Tornado.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	98615  
Old 07 September 2014, 22:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Does yours have a built in fuel tank or are you using portable tanks, and what is the beam of the tornado. the tubes on the one I'm after look in prestige condition, must have been well covered and I think stored inside. So hopefully a few years left on them. who retubed your rib and roughly how much to retube it.
Looking forward
I just use portable tanks .. you cant really tell how long the tubes will last because the glue just 'ages' and gets weak so it doesent matter how its been stored or cared for.

Also ... they made a crab job of them because they made seams that 'interfered' with the water flow under them , and in many ways that was their undoing ... literally ... I was the guy with a port sponson FULL of sea water

Paul Tilley re did mine (posts on here) and a fine job he made .. no leaks ever, and he made a 3 section tube setup into a 5 chamber .. so even better .. plus he made them with seam overlaps in the direction of the water flow ..... you wont get many people coming on here starting a thread about how important that last sentence was ...but its vital to tube longevity
Old 08 September 2014, 17:57   #12

Thanks, that's been a great help.
Old 08 September 2014, 19:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Thanks, that's been a great help.
No problem .. It would be unfair of me to even PM you with what I paid for a retube as the market costs for stuff changes all the time, and its usually up ways .. I did get several quotes for the work and Paul was very reasonable ... Ive used the boat in anger for a couple of years since and his work has stood up to the job and has been air tight, so I cant ask for more than that ... due to the hull being good, I re powered also with the expectation of this boat being good for another 15 years or so if I chose to keep her .. maybe more ?
Old 15 September 2014, 10:41   #14

Town: Featherstone
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Hi guys,

Just to clarify a few points :
PU tubes have been used for over 30 years.
The source of the PU has varied, and with it, to some extent, the quality. However for the last 14 years or so practically all of the PU tubes made in the UK and Europe have been made from Chiorino PU, which is of higher quality than all other PU materials previously used and higher performance than Hypalon - I can provide data sheets to anyone interested.
There are literally thousands of PU-tubed RIBs in service with rescue organisations, yachting clubs, fisheries protection, coast guards, navies etc all round the world. The US Navy chose PU after extensive research.
When constructed and maintained correctly these give exemplary service and out-last Hypalon where subjected to harsh treatment.
Hypalon outlasts PU if tubes are left uncovered and unpolished in areas of high UV. The other advantages of Hypalon are that it is cheaper and available in many more colours.
When covering tubes made from any material it is important to ensure that there is good ventilation, otherwise conditions conducive to microbial attack are created.
There have been some isolated issues with glued PU seams due to short-term use of incorrect/faulty adhesive most of these tubes were made some 15+ years ago. Since then the same neoprene-based adhesives have been used as are used for Hypalon.
Anyone visiting the Southampton Boat Show could visit the XS stand for first-hand information - they are one of the very few (if only) companies offering PU as well as Hypalon-tubed RIBs in the UK/Europe.

Am happy to deal with any technical questions.

Chiorino Coated Fabrics Division.
Old 17 September 2014, 07:24   #15

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
We've a 5.4 Tornado Viking that we bought new in 2004 with a yam 90 on the back.

She's a cracking boat and will take 8 divers when pushed or 6 with no effort. Wouldn't want to see much less than a 90 on the back if using for anything other than just pottering around, saying that for just people and no kit it'll be fine.

Out tubes still look pretty good and I'd happily have another.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is online now   Reply With Quote