Old 23 June 2016, 19:20   #1

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Tornado porous tubes repair

I've just acquired a very very cheap tornado 4.5 with very badly uv damaged tube tops it realy needs a re tube but just wondering if one of the tube paints would help seal the porous tubes
Thought we might be able to squeeze another year or two out of the tubes
Anyone have any experiences good or bad?
I'm sure I read a thread on here saying the paint was good for pin holes & porosity but it may have been referring to hypalon & I can't find the thread
Cheers
Ken
Old 25 June 2016, 13:05   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I very much doubt paint would do anything to help. I'm not a fan of it, even for trying to cosmetically tidy tubes up. It always wears off and looks rubbish. There are a few products on the market which you put inside the tube and slosh around which are supposed to work in this situation, although again I have never tried and I don't know of anybody who has. I fear that if the tubes are that bad new ones are the only way forward. Have you got a photo? If its just the top you could try putting large wear patches on to help seal it, although assuming the tubes are PU this isn't as easy or effective as hypalon.
Old 25 June 2016, 13:44   #3

Cheers the tubes are pu & you are correct the 100%answer is new tubes
I was sure I'd read a thread about someone with a set of badly degraded tubes who found a paint product that would seal pin holes he was in the US iirc. I'm sure he had some success with it
I know it's not a long term fix * like you dont like painted tubes but was hoping I could get a little use out of it with a quick fix
I'll try searching again but sometimes the title doesn't match the thread due to the inevitable thread drift
Old 25 June 2016, 14:15   #4

Town: Near oswestry
Boat name: Billy may
Make: Tornado 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
MMSI: 235109146
I tried to paint my pu tubes on my tornado. Crap is the only word to use. Got new ones from henshaws👍👍👍

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 25 June 2016, 17:23   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I've just acquired a very very cheap tornado 4.5 with very badly uv damaged tube tops it realy needs a re tube but just wondering if one of the tube paints would help seal the porous tubes
Thought we might be able to squeeze another year or two out of the tubes
Anyone have any experiences good or bad?
I'm sure I read a thread on here saying the paint was good for pin holes & porosity but it may have been referring to hypalon & I can't find the thread
Cheers
Ken
Ken the internal repair stuff I call it milk it looks like it works very well the problem you have it coating the whole area ok with a sib just throw it around on the lawn, with a rib you would have to do something like take the valve out and use a pipe with a spray end like they use for coating international box sections with waxoyl then replace the valves then pump up also change the air a couple of times. We did one many years ago and I wish I could show you it had no external coating (hypalon ) we painted ours but I suspect you would have to cover yours with wear patches all about cost really but the milk £12 odd / 500 MM worth it.
The other option is internal bladders ribcraft do them.

Cheers
Old 25 June 2016, 19:14   #6

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: dt85
This is the only company I know about. Works on PVC and Hypalon. Not sure about other fabric types.

But if you are going to retube down the line I would just save your money. Throw in the internal tube seal stuff, flip your boat upside down and put a couple of wear patches on top. The reason is the kit for the TUFF COAT is around 600 good chunk of change to throw at new tubes. http://www.tuff-coat.com/
Old 25 June 2016, 20:59   #7

Sounds like the internal stuff is the way to go obviously don't want to spend 100's tarting up old tubes
How much do you put in each chamber is it 500mm per chamber or does it go a long way
Old 26 June 2016, 11:57   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
IT will certainty get you a couple of seasons as for quantity ribstore or poly marine have info but it down to affective spreading if you imagine chucking a pint of milk in the tube that's what it's like.

Cheers
Old 26 June 2016, 22:08   #9

OK sounds like it's worth a go I've got access to a telehandler or tractor with loader so flipping it over is doable I'll do some more research and see how much I need and application methods etc
Thanks again