Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 11 September 2011, 08:26   #1

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
Tornado - Polyurethane (PU) versus Hyperlon Tubes.

I'm looking at buying a 6m RIB and have been put in the direction of Tornados. They seem to be very cheap compared to the competition maybe roughly 2K cheaper than a Humber for instance with a haggle They are now made in China as you will know and it's been suggested on the forum by this company http://www.lingbo-marine.com/en/prod...ail.asp?id=211

The only major difference is that they are made of UP - polyurethane as opposed to Hyperlon. Tornado say UP is very hard wearing, does not fade in the sun or stain. Humber say there Hyperlon tubes will last roughly 10-15 years with private use so I wondered if anyone had any experience of UP or even one of the new Tornado's?

This is NOT a PVC question which is a different product again!
Old 11 September 2011, 08:42   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
In my experience PU is a more care-free material, for Hypalon to last and look good it needs a good clean and protect every now and then. PU is really tough stuff, though the downside (as you know) is that any repairs are tricky and usually pricey.

It is not unusual for a PU tubed boat to look great after 15 years of good use, though what can happen is that the material is so good it outlasts the seams and then you end up with a boat that wont hold air.

Edit: My personal preference, FWIW, is hypalon. I would rather be able to readily make a long lasting and neat repair.
Old 11 September 2011, 09:26   #3

Tricky and pricey repairs on UP - thanks for that, I'll do some phoning around on Monday. My understanding is that UP is welded and Hyperlon is glued.

How strong are these materials, how can you damage them apart from driving them up on rocks - could you push a small screwdriver through them or are they stronger than that ( have a 5 year old boy !) dogs claws are no problem on either I presume...
Old 11 September 2011, 17:46   #4

Boat name: -
Make: XS 545
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp 4stroke
Speak to Laurence at XS ribs, they sell with both options and he will give good advice (they retube also). XS glues their PU seems by the way whilst Tornado (China) welds them.
Old 12 September 2011, 06:55   #5

Thanks I'll give them a call, my other concern is that over the years the cars we have parked outside the house have been damaged in some way - my little 1962 SAAB 96, 2 stroke had a pencil line down the side of it last week Luckily it has come off and they didn't use a nail

I'll probably go with what ever is stronger to vandalism and easy to repair - hypalon then...

Old 12 September 2011, 07:00   #6

Good to hear your SAAB was OK, it can only go up in value, SAAB is on the verge of bankrupcy at the moment.....
Old 12 September 2011, 07:29   #7

Town: Welwyn Garden City
Boat name: XS Rib
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: Mercury 300 Verado
Dear Zagato: We are the makers of XS Ribs who offer both PU and Hypalon on their craft and previously I was with Tornado UK for 20 years, We also sell Avon (Hypalon) and Zodiac PU and PVC so we would be well placed to advise on both.

PU is the hard wear heavy duty option, it will look better for longer, it is tougher, more abrasion resistant, and the glue bond is stronger than Hypalon.

Hypalon on the other hand has a long reputation and folds easily (pack away boats) It is easier to work with and cheaper to buy, it is not as tough, it scratches / tears / marks much more easily. It is true in extreme sun light situations Hypalon MAY last longer and when it is old it is easier to repair.

What is most important here is the quality of the marterials used and the skill of the boat builders making the product, the above comments refer to EUROPEAN sourced materials / glues used in the hands of experienced boat builders. Give the best materials in all the world to an inexperinced person and the result will be VERY different from the same materials in the hands of an expert.

One note on welded seams, if they fail they are impossible to repair, even to patch over, glued seams can always be unpicked and put back togther
Old 12 September 2011, 07:55   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Don't park a blow up boat in an area prone to vandalism, its just too good an opportunity. If someone runs a Stanley knife down your tubes, the excess the premium hike and the inconvenience of retubing will soon convince you to have looked at boatyard storage.

Even a screwdriver through the tubes will be a pita that puts a patch on it dealing the boat.

Obviously boat yards aren't exempt from vandalism but the are better than streets.

If you really must keep it in an unsecured area then consider something with 'solid' polyethylene 'tubes'
Old 12 September 2011, 08:34   #9

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yam 115
I have a Tornado 5.8 that was built in Hull early 2002. It has PU Tubes. So it is getting on for 10 years old. It appears to keep air in the compartments ok. I do give them a gently pump at the beggining of the (diving) Season and that is it for the rest of the year. The colour appears to me as vibrant as it was when it was delivered. It is orange/red where as our club Humber is pink.

I don't know what the comparison is today but in 2002 the Tornado was seen as the Industrial version. To that end I think they were heavier than the others (bar the delta) and as such were a little slower. I also remember a guy on my dive club saying that his 6.5 Tornado with a 200hp was slower than a Humber with a 175hp. (Bit Anicdotal I know)
My Tornado regularly gets heavy twin sets (and spindles) dragged over the tubes and has not marked.

Gary
Old 12 September 2011, 10:15   #10

Thanks for that Gary, sounds a good solid hull I was hoping to get away with a 90HP with 4 people on board. I say 90HP to keep fuel low but I don't know maybe a 115 or there abouts wouldn't drink much more. I'm not into hammering about just as long as it has enough power to get us though any unforeseen conditions...I haven't even started on engines yet Last I heard all 2 strokes were banned but for commercial use which is why I ended up with a 3.5hp 4 stroke - I'll leave engines for another thread
Old 12 September 2011, 10:29   #11

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
I say 90HP to keep fuel low but - I'll leave engines for another thread
Very wise

But... Bear in mind any engine is disproportionately thirsty at full throttle, so something that can meet your cruising speed requirement comfortably will be better in the long run.
Old 12 September 2011, 10:40   #12

This might be for you then;
Barnet Marine Centre - Tornado - Tornado 5.8 - Used - ::: BOATFINDER*::: - United Kingdom
I was suggested this one by Laurence but ended up buying the new XS 530. 530 and 580 are both new XS models, with the same beam as Tornado had...
Old 12 September 2011, 13:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachRib View Post
This might be for you then;
Barnet Marine Centre - Tornado - Tornado 5.8 - Used - ::: BOATFINDER*::: - United Kingdom
I was suggested this one by Laurence but ended up buying the new XS 530. 530 and 580 are both new XS models, with the same beam as Tornado had...
Thanks mate it does look nice BUT it's too near the same as new boat money (hence your purchase!!) Tornado are advertising a cancelled order for £5,500 but it's all in grey Now if it was orange it would be mine I could also do the above boat myself and save 3Kish
Old 12 September 2011, 13:28   #14

That's why I bought a new XS 530 in the end, to close to new boat money...
Anyway, here's an orange for you;
Tornado Sports Dive Ribs for sale , Huge Saving On List Price - Tornado 5.8m Sport - Boats And Outboards
Old 18 September 2011, 22:28   #15

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
I have a little 3.6 tornado that is about 25 years old. It's still bright orange and folks always comment on how tidy she looks. However, I do have to put a bit of air in every couple of weeks.