Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 November 2006, 05:41   #51
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA View Post
lost boy your point is
I wasn't disagreeing with you ffs!! I was agreeing with you and suggesting that Codders checks his facts!
__________________

__________________
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2006, 06:02   #52
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 446
sorry my mistake , i just glanced at it ,
__________________

__________________
RIVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2006, 20:33   #53
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: working on it
Make: Tornado
Length: 5.1
Engine: Yamaha 80
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 22
I'm old enough to remember when the monthly Balance of Payments figures were eagerly awaited and were seriously dissected by the media. They were, in effect, the UK's monthly bank statement and are every bit as important as our own monthly statements.
If you are clever enough to find these figures nowadays [because they're so bad they tend to get hidden] you will find that we are losing on trade, something in the order of £4.5 to 5.0 billion per month - and if you say £150million a DAY, it sounds even worse.
Now we all know that if we are personally 'in the red' we have to do something PDQ - either earn more money, spend less of it or - which seems to be the preferred option - flog off some possessions to cover the shortfall.
The political/commercial elite are terribly proud of our 'free trade' posture in international commerce because it justifies the continual flood of British businesses and assets being sold overseas to [partially] balance the books. Sadly, the day eventually comes when all Granny's silver and Uncle Jack's pictures have been sold and you're still not making ends meet. The house is mortgaged up to the hilt to the extent that it in fact belongs to men in suits.
At this point we are in deep, deep trouble..
Tragically, there are those who still believe - as evidenced above - that it doesn't matter if we're losing money hand over fist but they are outnumbered by those of the empowered who have conned us into believing this because they dare not admit publically that they haven't the slightest idea how to stop the ever growing and accelerating snowball.
The absence of purchasing loyalty goes back a long time and is deeply rooted.
The Hampshire Police force have scarcely bought a British car in 30 years and our ambulance fleet, despite the fact that world class - and famous - vans are built here on our doorstep, carry a 3-pointed Star on their grilles!
In a week's time I shall, God willing, become a Grandfather and I wonder what sort of country the little mite will grow up in.

Robin
__________________
robineff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 02:35   #54
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Having been in close contact with a fair number of bikes made in China I wouldn't buy one-every one I've seen has had bad quality castings, tolerances and electrics. The materials are low grade and corrode very quickly too-and these are on engines that are a direct copy of the Japanese ones.

I did think about buying one of the yam 50 copy outboards for about 30 seconds until I remembered this. I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 04:22   #55
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 446
I'm old enough to remember when the monthly Balance of Payments figures were eagerly awaited and were seriously dissected by the media. They were, in effect, the UK's monthly bank statement and are every bit as important as our own monthly statements.
If you are clever enough to find these figures nowadays [because they're so bad they tend to get hidden] you will find that we are losing on trade, something in the order of £4.5 to 5.0 billion per month - and if you say £150million a DAY, it sounds even worse.
Now we all know that if we are personally 'in the red' we have to do something PDQ - either earn more money, spend less of it or - which seems to be the preferred option - flog off some possessions to cover the shortfall.
The political/commercial elite are terribly proud of our 'free trade' posture in international commerce because it justifies the continual flood of British businesses and assets being sold overseas to [partially] balance the books. Sadly, the day eventually comes when all Granny's silver and Uncle Jack's pictures have been sold and you're still not making ends meet. The house is mortgaged up to the hilt to the extent that it in fact belongs to men in suits.
At this point we are in deep, deep trouble..
Tragically, there are those who still believe - as evidenced above - that it doesn't matter if we're losing money hand over fist but they are outnumbered by those of the empowered who have conned us into believing this because they dare not admit publically that they haven't the slightest idea how to stop the ever growing and accelerating snowball.
The absence of purchasing loyalty goes back a long time and is deeply rooted.
The Hampshire Police force have scarcely bought a British car in 30 years and our ambulance fleet, despite the fact that world class - and famous - vans are built here on our doorstep, carry a 3-pointed Star on their grilles!
In a week's time I shall, God willing, become a Grandfather and I wonder what sort of country the little mite will grow up in.

Robin

This is all sounding great until you relies that in the square mile your figures are so small they pale into insignificance with trade per day (these figures are not included in the above)

im going to give Norway as a example one of the richest economies on earth , and my Norwegian friends freely admit they actually manufacturer almost didaly squat compared to there overall economy and trade I think its almost 0.2%

The reason is you don’t need to make things and put it in a box to earn money!!! Or do you?

It’s called a service economy (estate agents, solicitors’ dentist, farmers / supermarkets or specilist companys ) god doesn’t get me on the farmers!!

And the money you earn goes into the shops and taxes to keep the world going round

What is the problem with this

countrys change theier focus we used to make things now we import more than we make , is there starving people on the streets , have we got a deserlat country because were all working on a production line makeing things in china ( because you have to make something to make money )
the fact is and im sure the older amongst us will disagree. todays world if you are a have!! is far better than it was 100 years ago when the guy in the steel mill or spinning the cotton for a living thought about how he was going to feed his family not how much petrol he was putting in his boat ??
__________________
RIVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 09:40   #56
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 642
Yes a golden age, most in the UK have more money to spend on luxury items these days but will it last?

I work in IT and nearly every day I see more jobs going off shore, and yes these are service industry jobs supposedly Britain's bread and butter.

Not only IT and Call Centres staff are affected, the local NHS trust who are in debt to the tune of £56M have announced the offshoring of the transcription of medical notes to India with a loss of approx 100 local jobs, I doubt they will find another job paying up to £16,000 pa very easily in West Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA View Post
is there starving people on the streets , have we got a deserlat country because were all working on a production line makeing things in china
Any decline will take a bit longer than the last 10 years of off-shoring, perhaps we should have this conversation in 30 years time, I believe then the impact (if any?) will be more apparent.

Shaggy
__________________
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 15:33   #57
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yes a golden age, most in the UK have more money to spend on luxury items these days but will it last?

I work in IT and nearly every day I see more jobs going off shore, and yes these are service industry jobs supposedly Britain's bread and butter.

Not only IT and Call Centres staff are affected, the local NHS trust who are in debt to the tune of £56M have announced the offshoring of the transcription of medical notes to India with a loss of approx 100 local jobs, I doubt they will find another job paying up to £16,000 pa very easily in West Cornwall.
Any decline will take a bit longer than the last 10 years of off-shoring, perhaps we should have this conversation in 30 years time, I believe then the impact (if any?) will be more apparent.

Shaggy
Couldn't agree more - this wonderful government of ours decided in 2000 that there was a shortage of skilled IT workers - so they introduced a fast track visa scheme to get them to come over here. In ONE year there were over 30,000 and that was the governments own figures!!! This went on for about 4 years - the people coming over were NOT highly skilled - just cheap - the vast majority from India. 5 years on the rates STILL have not recovered!!!

In a way what RIVA says about a service economy is true but many of these service jobs are low skilled and lowly paid.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 16:45   #58
exspyrd trayd membir
 
The Garfish's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I see more jobs going off shore

yorr rite shaggy mee owld shagg.

i woz torkin bollix wiv de gaffir ov dat jtb mareen las weak. hee sed hee woz gonner sakk orl de nobburs dat werkt forr im an gett a cuppul ov yewcraniuns inn cuz that woz a lott cheeper an didunt keap skivin orf forr a craffty fagg.

de werld iz gowin madd. evun de lowcal chinnky restoront az gott powlish wayters.

solidarnosh comraids ..........wiv nooduls

gArf
__________________
luk arfter numbir wan, downt stepp inn numbir too
The Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2006, 19:55   #59
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: working on it
Make: Tornado
Length: 5.1
Engine: Yamaha 80
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 22
I take your point, The Riva, about the City and the huge sums it generates both at home and overseas - it's the part of the export figures which used to known as 'invisibles' and is an important part of the equation. We do, of course, buy in a lot of invisibles, e.g. financing UK projects through foreign banks or insuring buildings through foreign underwriters. The point is that, even with these service revenues added into the equation, we are STILL losing £150million a DAY!
The Norwegians, in their infinite wisdom, decided that they did not wish to join the EU, thank you very much, and so save huge sums which they do not have to give to Brussels. They have also used their oil and gas bounty wisely and have the fish in their own waters to themselves - or charge foreigners a great deal of money to come and catch them!

Robin
__________________
robineff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2006, 19:58   #60
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by robineff View Post
I take your point, The Riva, about the City and the huge sums it generates both at home and overseas - it's the part of the export figures which used to known as 'invisibles' and is an important part of the equation. We do, of course, buy in a lot of invisibles, e.g. financing UK projects through foreign banks or insuring buildings through foreign underwriters. The point is that, even with these service revenues added into the equation, we are STILL losing £150million a DAY!
The Norwegians, in their infinite wisdom, decided that they did not wish to join the EU, thank you very much, and so save huge sums which they do not have to give to Brussels. They have also used their oil and gas bounty wisely and have the fish in their own waters to themselves - or charge foreigners a great deal of money to come and catch them!

Robin

Sensible.

Wish we'd done that.
__________________

__________________
http://www.xfire.com/download/
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.