Old 23 November 2004, 20:06   #1

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250 Suzuki
Tornado 8,5

A sad day. 4 weeks ago valiant confirmed that they could deliver PT 750 with black hull. Today a got a mail that they only can deliver light grey. I have cancelled the order, and now thinking about getting a Tornado 8,5 instead.

Anybody on the net that have experience with this boat ?

Will probably fit a 275 Verado

Roy
Old 23 November 2004, 20:44   #2

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
Hi Roy,

Don't give up... These guys may be able to help...

www.dulux.com

seriously though - thats bad news for you... is it a delay in the Valiant boat or a permanent 'No we can't do it'
Old 23 November 2004, 20:59   #3

To make a series with different than standard colours, it has to be an order of at least 15 boats. I only need one.

Anyway, its not the end of world. Quite a plesant problem actually. What rib to choose...........

Roy
Old 23 November 2004, 20:59   #4

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
why did they say they can,t do black

was it due to the fact valiant are not hand made like most ribs so making one black hull would upset the production line to much the norm would be white
orange or light grey its only a pigment change in the mould for the gel coat i would think

dan
Old 23 November 2004, 21:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel TD5
why did they say they can,t do black

was it due to the fact valiant are not hand made like most ribs so making one black hull would upset the production line to much the norm would be white
orange or light grey its only a pigment change in the mould for the gel coat i would think

dan
Correct Dan, serial production-large series
Old 24 November 2004, 11:28   #6

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Roy,

If it helps at all I'm very jealous!!

On a serious note having driven both Valiants and Tornados around the 6m mark, I'll put my neck on the line and say that IMHO the Tornado is a much better boat. I have owned a valiant (so am not biased!!) and found it to be a great boat, its just that the Tornados are so much better.

Have you spoken to Laurence Lock at Barnet Marine (www.ribs.co.uk) as he may be able to put you into contact with other operators of 8.5m Tornados and he is very helpful.

The extra metre will make a big difference no matter what and with the Tornado being hand built rather than mass produced you can get a truly custom boat. I personally like the idea of the transom bracket which lengthens the boat by 1.5m and also gives you extra room inside the boat.

Will be an awesome boat!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3254cp6_1282810_IMG.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	9202   Click image for larger version

Name:	tornado1.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	9203  
Old 24 November 2004, 17:09   #7
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Hi Roy,

I'm just back from a 100 nm day trip on the Clyde in my 8.5 Tornado! (My last boat was a 6.8m Ribcraft). The Tornado is a superb sea boat - it eats waves for breakfast (lunch and dinner!). The build quality is excellent, something I'm sure that all Tornado owners would confirm. The 8.5 uses "commercial spec" polyeurothane tubes - my boat is almost 2 years old, having covered some 510 hours, and I would challenge you to tell the difference from brand new tubes. I've been out in conditions up to force 8 and the boat has never put a foot wrong - it is only limited by the helmsman's skill (and his fear).

The customer service from Barnet Marine and Laurence Lock has been exemplary. My boat has a 250 Yanmar diesel coupled to a Bravo 3X drive, so I'm not qualified to comment on outboard installations, but I'm certain you would experience the same "go anywhere in anything" handling. When you are bouncing around in big seas it is most reassuring to know that you are in a strongly built boat that will get you home in one piece.

If I ever have to change RIBs I will definitely go back to Barnet and order another Tornado - there can't be a much better recommendation than that!

Laurence Lock offered a lot of useful advice leading up to my order - I'm always scepitcal about advice from salesmen, but Laurence's has been spot-on.

Please ask if you want any further info,

Jim
Old 24 November 2004, 17:43   #8
JIY

A pic of my 8.5 at Crinan in August.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Panther at Crinan.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	9206  
Old 24 November 2004, 19:46   #9

Thanks Steve G and Jim ! Belive I'm one step closer to a Tornado 850.

Jim, what is your cruising and top speed ?

Already got a dialog with the Norwegian dealer. Going on a two week holiday to Gran Canaria ( Anybody on the net from the Canaris ? ) After coming home I will have a meting with him to get the best possible offer for a boat to my specs. Have to decide before christmas to get the boat ready in time for next charter season. What pussels my mind most if is the 275 Verado will be power enough for 12 passengers/40 knots cruising speed.

Roy
Old 24 November 2004, 21:09   #10
JIY

Performance

Hi Roy,

Panther will do 41 knots in a calm sea with 4 on board and full fuel (200 litres). My normal cruising speed is 32 knots, with a fuel burn of 5 gallons/hour (about 23 litres/hour) in calm conditions - at full throttle the burn is more like 7 gph (32 lph). I have had 12 on board and full fuel - the boat will still do 38 knots, but it takes a long time to get fully planing. The Yanmar diesel accelerates quickly, no matter how many are on board, once it reaches the magic 1800 revs (fully turbocharged) - it's the slow climb to 1800 revs that takes a while.

Diesel in the UK is definitely the most economical way to power a RIB (we pay much less VAT on marine diesel than petrol) and in Scotland is certainly the most convenient (we're rarely more than 30 miles away from the nearest dockside diesel pump), but I guess that might not be such an issue in your part of the world.

I think that 40 knots with 12 on board might just be possible with the 275, but you would be running at full throttle with consequent high fuel burn and engine wear. I'm not an expert on outboard matters, but I would think twin 200hps would be more appropriate if you want to cruise at higher speeds. However, I'm sure others in the Forum will be much better able to advise you on that.

Hope this is all useful,

Jim
Old 24 November 2004, 22:42   #11

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Roy,

If it helps at all I'm very jealous!!

On a serious note having driven both Valiants and Tornados around the 6m mark, I'll put my neck on the line and say that IMHO the Tornado is a much better boat. I have owned a valiant (so am not biased!!) and found it to be a great boat, its just that the Tornados are so much better.
Have you driven valiant Patrol's or just the more 'leisure' orientated Vanguards and DR's?
Old 24 November 2004, 23:15   #12

Jim thats a lovely boat. I know what you mean about the PU tubes holding their as new appearance, I've got them on my XS. Next boat will be a Tornado!! By the way is your boat on the Barnet website, it looks very familiar.

Simmons0, i have driven a Valiant PT650 around Cape Clear last yr. Have also driven a few Tornado 5.8s and one 6.4 with 225 Optimax.

The PT is an animal compared to the standard Vanguards and DRs and was a very capable boat, but I just preferred the ride of the Tornado (ie: high lift, unbelievable cornering, very good in a big sea and very dry) The PT650 owner was very impressed with the buddy's 5.8 Tornado, when we took him for a spin in it afterwards too, saying he was surprised how a boat that size could handle the rough weather so well.
Old 24 November 2004, 23:28   #13

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Cant argue with that
Old 25 November 2004, 13:42   #14
JIY

Hi Steve,

Not my boat on the Barnet site - LL asked me for pics, but I forgot to send them - I'd better remedy that now! However, the colour scheme is featured on the 8.5 on the web site and it works well for me!

Jim

p.s. You've embarassed me into posting another pic (not where you'd usually find a 40 knot RIB, but great fun all the same, especially when the sun shines and you've got a willing crew to operate the lock gates!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crinan Canal_WEB.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	9213  
Old 25 November 2004, 14:30   #15

Thanks for the pic, have a greenie!! I'll keep an eye out on the Tornado site for any pics of your one. There are a few of mine on the the site under the xs-ribs link:

On the homepage (the boat with the Irish flag) and in the Owners Comments section.
Old 25 November 2004, 14:30   #16

Roy keep us posted on the RIB and if you decide to go for a Verado or not? Read elsewhere you were thinkin of twin Optis?? Remember that boat can take up to 500hp (with twin engines!!) A good rule of thumb is that you will lose 25% of your total power with twin engines through drag and weight. ie: twin 150s would give you the equivalent of a single 225. Obviously this doesn't account for the extra hole shot and torque you get with twins. (Somebody should correct me here if I'm wrong as I've very little experience of twin engine setups but this is how I understood it to be??)

Enjoy the Canaries!!
Old 30 November 2004, 15:09   #17

Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Roy,

If you need a RIB for chartering and want to cruise around 40KN I would advise you an Osprey. Depending on the amount of people you want to take with you I would go for an SeaHarrier Max (7.5 m and 50KN with 250HP) or a Falcon (6.5m, 8.2m, 9.6m). In the Falcon you can easily put an twin Steyr diesel (+50KN).

An Osprey is fully custom made, so you can have it in any color you wish and with any option you want.

Have a look at www.bruggemarinecenter.com