Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Roy,

If it helps at all I'm very jealous!!

On a serious note having driven both Valiants and Tornados around the 6m mark, I'll put my neck on the line and say that IMHO the Tornado is a much better boat. I have owned a valiant (so am not biased!!) and found it to be a great boat, its just that the Tornados are so much better.
Have you driven valiant Patrol's or just the more 'leisure' orientated Vanguards and DR's?

Old 24 November 2004, 19:15   #12

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Jim thats a lovely boat. I know what you mean about the PU tubes holding their as new appearance, I've got them on my XS. Next boat will be a Tornado!! By the way is your boat on the Barnet website, it looks very familiar.

Simmons0, i have driven a Valiant PT650 around Cape Clear last yr. Have also driven a few Tornado 5.8s and one 6.4 with 225 Optimax.

The PT is an animal compared to the standard Vanguards and DRs and was a very capable boat, but I just preferred the ride of the Tornado (ie: high lift, unbelievable cornering, very good in a big sea and very dry) The PT650 owner was very impressed with the buddy's 5.8 Tornado, when we took him for a spin in it afterwards too, saying he was surprised how a boat that size could handle the rough weather so well.

Old 24 November 2004, 19:28   #13

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Cant argue with that
Old 25 November 2004, 09:42   #14
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Hi Steve,

Not my boat on the Barnet site - LL asked me for pics, but I forgot to send them - I'd better remedy that now! However, the colour scheme is featured on the 8.5 on the web site and it works well for me!

Jim

p.s. You've embarassed me into posting another pic (not where you'd usually find a 40 knot RIB, but great fun all the same, especially when the sun shines and you've got a willing crew to operate the lock gates!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crinan Canal_WEB.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	9213  
Old 25 November 2004, 10:30   #15

Thanks for the pic, have a greenie!! I'll keep an eye out on the Tornado site for any pics of your one. There are a few of mine on the the site under the xs-ribs link:

On the homepage (the boat with the Irish flag) and in the Owners Comments section.
Old 25 November 2004, 10:30   #16

Roy keep us posted on the RIB and if you decide to go for a Verado or not? Read elsewhere you were thinkin of twin Optis?? Remember that boat can take up to 500hp (with twin engines!!) A good rule of thumb is that you will lose 25% of your total power with twin engines through drag and weight. ie: twin 150s would give you the equivalent of a single 225. Obviously this doesn't account for the extra hole shot and torque you get with twins. (Somebody should correct me here if I'm wrong as I've very little experience of twin engine setups but this is how I understood it to be??)

Enjoy the Canaries!!
Old 30 November 2004, 11:09   #17

Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Roy,

If you need a RIB for chartering and want to cruise around 40KN I would advise you an Osprey. Depending on the amount of people you want to take with you I would go for an SeaHarrier Max (7.5 m and 50KN with 250HP) or a Falcon (6.5m, 8.2m, 9.6m). In the Falcon you can easily put an twin Steyr diesel (+50KN).

An Osprey is fully custom made, so you can have it in any color you wish and with any option you want.

Have a look at www.bruggemarinecenter.com