Old 10 September 2001, 09:52   #1

Town: Athens
Boat name: Sofia - Konstantina
Make: Wave
Length: 5
Engine: Outboard 2-stroke 115 Mercury
Tornado 7

Hi all,

I've started thinking about moving into a bigger RIB in the range of 7m .

My plans is to make the move in about 6 to 9 months.

My thoughts are either the Scorpion 7m or the Tornado 7.

The most important criteria for me are good handling in rough conditions and quality in the construction and material.

Scorpions are well known in Greece and I've talked to a couple of people who own a Scorpion.

Unfortunately, this is not the case with the Tornado.

Has anybody experience with a Tornado 7 ?

I would appreciate any info.

Dimitris
Old 10 September 2001, 19:02   #2

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Dimitris

Moving to a bigger rib is very chalenging.
BUT are you sure that you want the better handling minus the less storage space ?
Are you willing to pay for a much thirstier engine ?
How many times have you met "North Atlantic" conditions in the Aegean ?
Who and where is going to launch a rib like this ? I have seen from close how parkmen treat the boats. They simply DO NOT respect the other's fortune !!
In a few words, I would definitely go for a bigger rib if I could "handle" it myself. Store it in my own place, as I do now. Launch it myself, as I do now. Pay as much as I do now and had the time to sail in open Aegean with rougher conditions and less crew, to give reasons for the "arrow" shaped Scorpion.

Michael
Old 11 September 2001, 06:50   #3

Batfalcon,

Just for the shake of it I will answer this.

Ribbing is not always going for swimming - although in hot climates like ours is a significant part.

It is also going out and meet the elements of nature as well.

Sometimes I will go out with my family for camping natique but sometimes I will go out with a couple of friends for fun.

While I enjoy cruising during the summer, the winter is very enjoyable as well. The feeling is superb when you arrive at a port wet and cold , change your cloths and have a hot meal in a local taverna.

When it comes to the weather, It is very common in the area that I am sailling a force 4 to 7. I am beggining to get sick struggling with my 5M rib in a force 5 wind (although some times is very rewarding and enjoyable).

Should someone spend that amount of money ?

Well, If you think rationally NO.
If you think with your hart, then the answer (at least for me) is YES.

Dimitris
Old 12 September 2001, 20:54   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Scorpion 7.5m

Dimitris,

I can vouch for the Scorpion 7.5m as I have spent some hours at sea in one. (In fact in Blue Ice, which is up for sale on the boats for sale page of rib.net!). An excellent hull, good performance and outstanding in the rough stuff. Put a modern fuel efficient outboard on it (Yam HPDI, Merc Optimax) and I reckon you have just about the ultimate outboard RIB. Build quality is still streets ahead of most other RIBS, at least in the UK.

I can also vouch for the 9.5m Scorpion having been out in a Force 6 in Cyanide today, but thats a very different league of Ribbing!

Cheers,

Alan
Old 12 September 2001, 22:55   #5

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Its not just about length, also weight and general seaworthiness. There can be a big difference just moving up from 5 to 5.5 metres. The manual handling problems increse massively as you go up from 5m and you must be sure that the benefit of owning, say, a 7.5m 1500 Kg rib outweigh the convenience of launching, retrieving, towing and storing a 5.5m 700Kg rib! I can think of several 6M+ ribs that I would NOT prefer over a really good 5m one.
Old 13 September 2001, 11:38   #6

Alan,

As you may understand buying remotely a second hand boat is a bit difficult and requires travelling .

Is there any independent organisation that will check the boat for me at a reasonable fee ?

That way I can minimize the posibility of making a traval just to discover that the boat is not in good condition

Regards

Dimitris
Old 13 September 2001, 12:30   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Dimitris

Alan Priddy's company Offshore Expeditions will do that for RIBs in the UK. He will also oversee the building of new RIBs too.

Another option would be to use a registered boat surveyor who will give you a full report on the condition of a boat you are interested in. This is normally done for more expensive boats though, where the survey cost makes up a smaller proportion of the boat's value.

John
Old 13 September 2001, 16:53   #8

Town: Northumberland
Length: no boat
Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Dimitris,
Scorpion RIBs are also built in Greece by Ribco although to slightly different specifications. The hulls are exactly the same,so get along to athens and try one out, you wont regret it
Old 13 September 2001, 17:19   #9

Nick,

I know and the quality is superb.

However they build only the 8.5 or 8.75 meter model. My budget can not go that up.

Moreover, while the hull is exactly the same as the british scorpions and quality of the boat more than excellent , the design of the deck is pretty bad - at least for my taste -.

They took a beautiful boat full of curves - like a nice woman - and they made the deck full of square lines in the name of Med design. I think the result is a pretty angly boat.

I'll scan and post an image of the greek version.

I am convinced that I am not going to regret trying such a boat. Unfortunetely I can not afford the 8.5 model.

Dimitris