Old 11 February 2004, 18:48   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally posted by LAL BMC Ltd
...... and often no reason why something goes wrong, is just does......

Old 11 February 2004, 18:59   #12

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Laurence, a question about a tornado 4.8 if i may.

We bought the boat new in about 2000 from yourselfs with a Yam 30 fitted. After 18 months the control cables became very stiff and i had to replace them. I assumed this to be lack of maintance (club boat). Another year on and the cables became stiff again - but this time i was sure i'd looked after them. This time, (somewhat through mis-use when the cables were stiff but never-the-less caused by said cables) the control box became broken and needed replacing aswell.

Consultation with the local marine dealer concluded the bend radius imposed by trying to route said cables 'neatly' under the seat and throught the clear plastic tube and then up to the engine was far too small - not only against the reccomendations of the cable manufacturers but more importantly causing them to fail. I've now re-routed them with minimal bends and the boat is far easier to drive as a result, but i must say this has cost 250-300 in parts to acheive.

I realise it's nice to have neat routing of cables and a clear deck but it would seam this is a false economy? Is this normal?

Your comments and opinion are invited!

Old 12 February 2004, 02:33   #13

Town: Welwyn Garden City
Boat name: XS Rib
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: Mercury 300 Verado
Neat installation is the most required criteria in most new boat sales however like many things cable technology has changed over the past few years quite dramtically as have costs of these new cables.

This is one of the patterns I speak of, as you say for a year they were fine but the manufacture of the cable / routing did not allow it to stay so. Now with the advent of Platinum, Mirraglide etc cables and the massive reduction in cable pricing we have upgraded cables on all new craft to the new generations of cables.

When Mirraglide first came out a few years ago they were 150 + each and it is probable that on a boat costing 6-8 K an extra 300 at point of purchase would probably not have been acceptable and would have put us at a disadvantage price wise if we had included them from the word go. (as no other Rib company did)

There is also a side issue here of Teleflex changing the manufacture of their standard 33 C cables to keep costs down and cables such as yours "failing" prematurely compared to the life expectancy we had experienced previously.
The smaller craft by their nature have tighter bends in them and though stiff cables can happen in any length of craft it was an issue primarily withh 33 c's of this vintage in sub 5 m boats.

Did you come back to us when you had the problem ??

One comment I would make, whilst fiully accepting cable routing is the primary source of cable stiffness, is that we often find in smaller working boats is that the cables are prone to damage at the point of entry in to the motor, this is often caused by kinking of the outer casing when the motor is trimmed up with "kit" in the rear of the craft, racing marks, people, kit bags, sails whatever.

I have not kept a detailed note of this but probably in 70% + of "stiff" throttles brought to our attention we have shown the owner evidence of damage to the cables that is probably a contributory factor to the stiffness.

As with all manufacturers we NEED feed back from our customers to allow us to move forward.

Laurence
Old 12 February 2004, 03:10   #14

Town: Welwyn Garden City
Boat name: XS Rib
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: Mercury 300 Verado
JW

Prehaps to make it clear to you when the line is quoted out of context I should have said

and often no APPARENT reason why something goes wrong, it just does

Cracked hull could be caused by;

Faulty Design
Faulty manufacture
Failing repair done some years ago after major accidental trauma
Hitting a rock or other under water obstructions resulting in symptoms manifesting them selves some time after the incident
Bad trailering
Repeated drying out on uneven surfaces (Craft can dry on the same point, litterally, once we had a ridge caused by an RS J in the mud under a drying boat)
Simple failure of the hull after life expectancy surpassed in either hours of use or years of life
Items crashing around in side the hull
Overpowering
Unauthorised modifications to the boat
Unsuitable use practices (pushing 15 m race yachts at full throttle for prolonged periods with the tubes soft to get a better grip for instance, load thus borne on the hull)

The list is almost endless and though the sympton can often be the same the cause sometimes is not.

Patient on phone to a Fracture Clinic: Dr Dr my foots hurts I think I must have broken it
Dr: Ah you must have broken it.
Patient: That is what I think
Dr: I agree
Patient: Then the axe stuck in it has nothing to do with the pain ?

I do not think any of us can with out all the facts, motor hp, who & how installed, exact age of craft, sight / pictures of craft inside and out, trailer, method of strapping, idea of use it has had offer any view on an idividual case.

Hopefully I will get these and we can take it from there.

Regards
Old 12 February 2004, 07:23   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I was just winding you up a wee bit, Lawrence.

It appears to have worked.
Old 12 February 2004, 07:40   #16

Town: Newcastle
Make: Zapcat
Length: 4.2
Engine: 50Hp
Hi Michael,
getting back to the original question, at the end of the day it's a buyers market out there and it's your hard earned your spending. There's plenty of Ribs out there for sale, I personally would walk away and find a boat that doesn't haven't cracks in the hull and water oozing out, leave that hassle for someone else to worry about.