Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 04 March 2009, 17:39   #1

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Top mount or side mount throttle control, which is best

Might sound a stupid question, i have had a rib with side mount controls for years and have just bought a new one with top mount controls. What are the supposed advantages of each? I have been told the top mount has no trigger/clutch as it were so it is easy to wear the gearbox, is this true?
Old 04 March 2009, 18:31   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Depends how rough you are.
I like the throttles on the Atlantics mounted next to your hip if your sat down.
Old 04 March 2009, 20:16   #3

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Top or side - the actual placing doesn't matter as much as the ergonomics. Where is it easiest to hold and to operate? I'm with Chewy, the placement beside the seat is great ... but that doesn't really answer your question, does it?

If you can't drive your boat with one hand always controlling the engine, the control needs to move. If it's placed so you can use it, it doesn't matter whether it's top or side mounted - it's fine where it is.

I wouldn't worry too much about the neutral lock. Provided you pause in neutral and don't crash through the gears from forward to astern (which people still seem to manage even with a lock), you'll be fine
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2009, 20:48   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
It probably doesn't matter provided you can arrange a bit of a grip on its base. If you're in rough stuff and needing to work the throttle constantly, you'll not have good control by simply holding onto the top of the handle. If you can arrange for the side of your hand to be rested, or even better, for a couple of your fingers to grip a rest at the throttle and then work the lever with your thumb and forefingers you'll have smooth and fine control. This also braces you better rather than just hanging on with your steering hand. It has been a topic of discussion here a few times - worth doing a search.

I'm firmly of the opinion that a central lock is a very good idea. My boat has electronic controls and no central lock. I've lost count of the number of times it's been bumped or accidentally caught on a sleeve. I've made its action tight but it only takes you to reach quickly for something above the throttle and its caught and you're shooting off. Nothing bad has happened to me yet but it certainly wakes one up!
Old 05 March 2009, 00:08   #5

Town: Fareham
I'll agree with the ergonomics of the console and the fact that you need to keep you hand on the throttle in the rough, but I'd like to add two things.

First is that a neutral lock is a great Idea. My kids are always moving past the console where the throttle is and I know of at least two occasions when the lever has been knocked into.

The second is that a throttle must be silky smooth in operation. I have driven a few boats with stiff throttle contols and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Evinrude and Mercury ones of old spring to mind. Might I suggest that you look at the Teleflex range of throttles, there will be something there for all.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2009, 07:49   #6

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Please can one of the RYA SI' confirm this , but I thought boats used for RYA courses had to have a neutral lock.
I like them but have found with my yam control box (which does not have one) mounted centrally its not as big an issue as those side mounted where it get caught more often.
Jelly
Old 05 March 2009, 10:02   #7

Make: XS // Delta
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
afaik it's not a requirement to have a neutral lock on boats being used for training, and I know of a couple locally that don't. However those boats that have top mounted throttles with no neutral lock have them centrally mounted on the console which reduces the chance of them being knocked. (their larger training boats with double width consoles)

I prefer to have a neutral lock, but whichever boat i'm teaching on I always teach that you never walk past the throttle to goto the front of the boat, you always go on the opposite side to reduce the chance of it being knocked.
Old 05 March 2009, 10:14   #8

Length: 4m +
Jelly
The RYA Guidance Notes for centre inspections only state that 'throttle and gear change mechanisms must be positive and reliable'. It makes no mention of having to have a neutral interlock.

As a centre inspector I have however recommended to some centres when carrying out their inspections that they consider fitting a control box with a neutral interlock but this has mainly been on small ribs which are used mainly for safety boat work, and so have people moving around the boat a lot, and have been fitted with an aftermarket control box which doesn't have one fitted. At the very least I'd like to see a notice on there saying it doesn't have neutral lock if the boat is used by many different people who might not be familiar with the controls.

For Powerboat Level 2 etc courses I see no problem with using top mount controls with no interlock as these are becoming more and more common with boats getting bigger and bigger. The only thing being that it needs to have a positive feel as you come into neutral and the instructor needs to make it very clear to the student’s right from the beginning that the controls can be knocked in and out of gear if you’re not careful. I have often got students to switch the engine off as they are swapping driver etc just so that they don't knock it by accident and also get them to stop the engine by pulling the kill cord and then passing the whole kill cord to the next person just so they get in the habit of putting the kill cord on before taking control of the boat rather than just stepping in front of the wheel and setting off.
Personally I don't have a problem with top mount controls on boats used mainly for Powerboat 2 courses etc but if its used as a safety boat or for safety boat courses where people are concentrating more on moving around the boat to recover people or boats from the water and are less likely to be aware of the engine controls then I'd prefer a side mount control with interlock. Also boats used as safety boats are generally smaller and so don't have a console big enough for top mount controls.

I have previously tried to buy top mount controls with neutral interlocks and the only one I could find was a single lever (single engine) one made by Teleflex. It seems that nobody makes one for twin engines. I spoke to Yamaha UK and they said something about there not being enough space inside the control box and the lever itself to fit a neutral lock inside and not make the control box to big and cumbersome. Somebody did mention to me however after that that Yamaha make a twin lever control with interlocks that is available elsewhere in the world however I’m not sure how true this is.

From a personal point of view I’d go with what has been said previously that I have no real preference for either as long as you can reach the lever in order to be in full control at all times. I’ve driven lots of ribs with side mount controls and when sat in the seat correctly you can barely move the controls into gear never mind open the throttle as its to far away in which case either the seat needs moving forward or a top mount control would be better as it would be nearer
Old 05 March 2009, 11:01   #9

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
...... I’ve driven lots of ribs with side mount controls and when sat in the seat correctly you can barely move the controls into gear never mind open the throttle as its to far away in which case either the seat needs moving forward or a top mount control would be better as it would be nearer
I agree and there is plenty of scope for boat manufacturers to improve their designing skills in this regard with a consequent improvement in the boat driving experience.
Old 05 March 2009, 17:57   #10

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
thanks

Thanks to all who have commented. As many of you have pointed out the console centre top mounted control takes the throttle out of the way of people passing the console area and is evidently an upgrade to the seemingly more common standard side mount you typically get when buying an outboard engine on a rib. I'm not sure what model the throttle contril is that is on the boat i get next week, so unsure whether there is much of a neutral lock or notch as it were. Soon find out!! Sure i'll get used to it and using my left hand to throttle on.
Old 05 March 2009, 18:09   #11

I will add this, out of all the engines & side mount control units ive used, I've found the honda controls to be the smoothest so far
Old 05 March 2009, 21:55   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
..the console centre top mounted control takes the throttle out of the way of people passing the console area ..
Yes, but it isn't generally a problem, as side mounted controls (except some budget aftermarket ones) will have a neutral lock.
Old 05 March 2009, 22:57   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
Please can one of the RYA SI' confirm this , but I thought boats used for RYA courses had to have a neutral lock.
I like them but have found with my yam control box (which does not have one) mounted centrally its not as big an issue as those side mounted where it get caught more often.
Jelly
As the hamster has already said the RYA dont dictate on this matter. It is a myth I have heard a few times.

From a training point of view as you move into larger RIBs where the driver and instructor can sit side by side in seats the top mount throttle is often better as it means the instructor can be in a seat and next to the throttle/controls. The console on your boat will dictate what is more appropriate.

The issue of not having an interlock on most top mount boxs is very valid. I can not comprehend why engine manafacturers do not develop and make them. Why do we have to mess about with teleflex parts or put up with engine manafacturer throttles with no interlock?
Old 05 March 2009, 23:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post

The issue of not having an interlock on most top mount boxs is very valid. I can not comprehend why engine manafacturers do not develop and make them. Why do we have to mess about with teleflex parts or put up with engine manafacturer throttles with no interlock?
I'm 100% with you there! The Supplied Evinrude ones where crap (I had choice of two different top mounted or a side mount which was better but still crap). I ended up going for the Teleflex unit and am very happy with it.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2009, 23:04   #15
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Volvo penta top mounted levers have a Neutral lock but it's in a horrible place. Maybe a little large for a 6m though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2493_2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	40947  
Old 07 March 2009, 00:57   #16

What about the Teleflex CH7500 series?

Old 07 March 2009, 01:47   #17

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Agree with JW. Top mount with heel of hand on top of tthe box , thumb behind it and two fingers wrapped around. However, I use the top handle when tight manouvering and a wheel spinner knob.
Old 07 March 2009, 11:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
What about the Teleflex CH7500 series?

The 7500 Series also comes with a Neutral lock and looks like this when mounted on a console
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08.10.07 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	40954   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.10.07 003 (Medium).jpg
Views:	263
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	40955  

Looks Slow but is Fast