Closed Thread

Old 24 April 2004, 21:15   #1

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Wait untill I'll show you this thing I got from SA You never seen anything like it/ It cleans everything on anything 100% guranteed have tested it and costs about £1 a ltr
Old 24 April 2004, 22:20   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Whats it called, and can one get it in this country?
Old 25 April 2004, 11:43   #3

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Is called Toluene and unfortunately you cannot find it anywhere in Europe. I am bringing in 30 ltrs in total to Greece for my use realy. 5ltrs with the first container and 15 ltrs with every other container.
I think this will last for 5 years at which point will have to change the boats and buy some more from SA again.
But have seen it at work and is great staff, just spray it on any surface with any type of dirt on being dust to tar to paint to anything (even on a 25 year old inflatable that was just left out in the open) and just wipe it off and PRONTO is clean
Old 25 April 2004, 12:12   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I can only hope that this is your strange idea of a joke. Have a read about Toluene and find out why it's hard to buy!

Toluene may affect the nervous system. Low to moderate levles can cause tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-type actions, memory loss, nausea, loss of appetite, and hearing and color vision loss. These symptoms usually disappear when exposure is stopped.

Inhaling High levels of toluene in a short time can make you feel light-headed, dizzy, or sleepy. It can also cause unconsciousness, and even death.

High levels of toluene may affect your kidneys.

It's not a clever choice of cleaning product.

John
Old 25 April 2004, 13:03   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
Is called Toluene and unfortunately you cannot find it anywhere in Europe. I am bringing in 30 ltrs in total to Greece for my use realy. 5ltrs with the first container and 15 ltrs with every other container.
I think this will last for 5 years at which point will have to change the boats and buy some more from SA again.
But have seen it at work and is great staff, just spray it on any surface with any type of dirt on being dust to tar to paint to anything (even on a 25 year old inflatable that was just left out in the open) and just wipe it off and PRONTO is clean

Yet more stunning advice from Manos then...

Following who needs trailer brakes we have how to get the cleanest RIB in europe whilst courting death.
Old 25 April 2004, 13:10   #6

Well you learn something new everyday and thought that there something wrong with me

Seriously though JK this product is used quite a bit in SA. I only have 5 ltrs delivered so will see how it does, I not good will cancel the rest. But I think that if you use it in a well ventilated space (i.e. outside) probably is not that bad. Thanks for the info

Alan are you jealous for any reason that I/we should be aware of? I never said that you should buy it. I am using it so what's your problem Sad case??

And yes still think that when I tow 1.5tonnes with my 4x4 I don't need brakes on my trailer. I suppose I'm a better driver than you
Old 25 April 2004, 13:25   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Quote:
I only have 5 ltrs delivered so will see how it does,
In spite of the warnings and evidence that this product is dangerous and poses a threat to the health of people you are going to clean your shiny new rib hire fleet with it

Can see the newspaper headline now:

'Holiday maker killed by rib'

This may be OTT but newspapers do sensationalize things.

Martin
Old 25 April 2004, 13:42   #8

Town: Newfoundland
"Well you see your honour, I'd been cleaning my RIB with Tolulene. I then proceeeded to get into my 4x4 and tow my 1.5 tonne boat on its unbraked trailer along the road. I started to feel a bit dizzy and I can't remember what happened next!

Still this greek bloke who posts on the internet said it was OK "

Probably am a sad case, and I'm sure you're a wonderful chap in person Manos and I look forward to buying you a beer sometime. But you do see how you can come over from time to time don't you
Old 25 April 2004, 14:24   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
"...and I can't remember what happened next!...
Probably what happened next was skidding out of control approaching the driveway of that same Greek chap who had been adding diesel to the water to wash down his car and boat!

Sorry Manos, but I'll also buy you a beer next time I see you

(As long as you're still alive after using that Toluene!)
Old 25 April 2004, 14:28   #10

Well whatever Alan and ms Alan you have managed to enter my ignore list
Richard is OK beer is acceptable
Any way you know that I take no notice of these virtual people such as Alan
Now my reputation is gone to red which is better than green I recon and I have 1 point!!! I'm sooooooo GOOD!!
Old 25 April 2004, 14:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstacey
In spite of the warnings and evidence that this product is dangerous and poses a threat to the health of people you are going to clean your shiny new rib hire fleet with it
Can see the newspaper headline now:
'Holiday maker killed by rib'
This may be OTT but newspapers do sensationalize things.
So since you are so clever what do I do with the liquid that is already in the container, stop the ship mid Atlantic and get it out. Guys you are SAAAAD VERY SAAAD
Old 25 April 2004, 14:48   #12

In all seriousness Manos, it's probably a hazard to your own health more than anything else. I guess you would be well advised to arrange for safe disposal.
Old 25 April 2004, 15:32   #13

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
http://www.boc.com/gases/pdf/msds/G453.pdf
Read and weep unless your eyes are already watering!
Old 25 April 2004, 16:00   #14

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
Manos,

You may want to check if the product you are getting is pure toluene (if this is available anywhere) or just a toluene based thinner. The later is regularly used to remove old glue prior to making tube repairs in small areas - I would agree that it probably makes quite a good tube cleaner too but I would have thought that the exposure level if doing a whole boat would certainly concern me.

I have previously used MEK for cleaning a small part of the tube (NB they are hypatex tubes not hypalon) which had been particularly badly marked but again it is nasty stuff and wouldn't want to be around it for long !

Cheers

Mike
Old 25 April 2004, 16:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
Manos,

You may want to check if the product you are getting is pure toluene (if this is available anywhere or just a toluene based thinner. The later is regularly used to remove old glue prior to making tube repairs in small areas - I would agree that it probably makes quite a good tube cleaner too but I would have thought that the exposure level if doing a whole boat would certainly concern me.

I have previously used MEK for cleaning a small part of the tube (NB they are hypatex tubes not hypalon) which had been particularly badly marked but again it is nasty stuff and wouldn't want to be around it for long !

Cheers

Mike
Hi Mike thanks for the detailed info. I have already communicated with SA and this is a toluene based thinner. It was used (as you said) in the factory to clean glue stains but it was also discovered that it cleans glass fibre too and also markings on tubes and many other stains and is cheap, cheap.
Is not for everyday use but when you want to clean say something that other cleaners can't, they use this one.
I had tested this products on PVC cloths while I was in SA and it cleans them 100+100%. However, after you wipe it off it takes the silky feeling off the PVC. However, if you rub that area with some silicone or vaseline becomes ok again. But as I said you don't do this every day but when is upsolutely necessary.
Although JK's comments (from Google) were correct I have been advised too (as you have pointed out Mike) that these effects only apply to pure Toluene and not to the product that I have ordered.
This product should be used in well ventilated areas a(i.e. in the open will be best I think) and one should ware protective gloves (if so wish).
Richard & Red Fox although I can see that you mean well, I am affraid that (like all others except Mike) you have jumped in to the wrong conclusions. I don't think that any one has dies yet at least from the people that use on every day basis

Mike MANY thanks again
Old 25 April 2004, 16:56   #16

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....+cleaning+care

Old 25 April 2004, 17:22   #17

Fairy liquid is the best cleaning of grime and oil (suntan oil potions of any type and kind in our case) in luke warm water Richard but it does not ged rid off stains like black fender marks on tubes or the fibre glass.
This staff does
Old 25 April 2004, 17:43   #18

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
Quote:
I have already communicated with SA and this is a toluene based thinner. It was used (as you said) in the factory to clean glue stains but it was also discovered that it cleans glass fibre too and also markings on tubes and many other stains and is cheap, cheap.
Is not for everyday use but when you want to clean say something that other cleaners can't, they use this one.

Manos,

I would still exercise extreme caution when using the product as it is very easy to be affected by it even in the open and you will tend not to notice you are being affected. Also be careful how and where you store it.

Also take it easy on the other guys who have made very valid comments and are only looking out for a fellow ribster !

Cheers

Mike
Old 25 April 2004, 18:06   #19

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Don't all scoff at Manos - it just shows ignorance!

In fairness to Manos there are plenty of things in common use that have warnings just as bad - if not worse - than toluene.

One of the main reasons supply is limited is NOT because of the health risk but because of one of it's other uses - the last T in TNT!!!!

http://www.matheson-trigas.com/msds/MAT17180.pdf

Xylene - a VERY common paint thinner contained in MANY products you can buy in Halfords!

Basically nearly ALL aromatic hydrocarbons have similar dangerous effects - including common or garden petrol - unleaded petrol contains benzine which is FAR more toxic than toluene!

http://www.albina.com/Fuel/FuelPDFs/ULgasolineMSDS.PDF

Have a look at what petrol contains - toluene being just one of the ingredients
Old 25 April 2004, 18:22   #20

Mike I do not intend to kill me self (intentionally that is).
I appreciate the comments and the advise I know that the majority of tghe people here means well
But now after all this I'm very curious to find out all I can about this product.
Another week and the container will be in Greece, have contacted a friend of mine that is a chemist in a lab and he will test it for me. So will let you know what exactly is

But I always use Fairy liquid in luke warm water for washing my boats out

Cheers
Closed Thread