Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Toe Straps on a Ribtec 585

I`m pondering fitting some toe straps to my Ribtec 585.

I know the jury is still out about these wonderful/hideous devices but I`m quite a convert. My last boat had them and provided you use them for toe straps and not foot straps I managed fine and enjoyed the extra security.

My boat is a Ribtec 585 with under deck tanks. Has anybody retro fitted toe straps to one of these? If so can you give me any advice before I get the Black and Decker out and fit extra vent holes in the top of my fuel tank?!

Cheers people!

Chris

PS I`ve added a pic so you can see the layout. The fuel filler is under the main console seat and leads down below the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIBTec585_2_2.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	8897  
Old 26 October 2004, 18:53   #2

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
Do you really need them? Apart from the slight gamble of "am I about to drill through the fuel tank?" some people find them to be a tripping hazard.

I am often out is very rough weather conditions and have never had them fitted on any of my RIBs.

I understand where the extra security feeling is, from time I have spent on the RNLI Atlantic 21's.

Just make sure if you have them then they are is a position that would suit everyone who is helming!

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2004, 21:12   #3
CND

Town: UK
Boat name: Searider Something !
MMSI: witheld number
Ive seen the ones that CJL has got, and quite frankly they are the gucci windsurfer velcro ones that can be shortened so short that they go flat on the deck, and lengthened to get my size 12 boots into.

The other option being the Avon ones, that are made out of rubber and where easy to get your feet into, are a potential deck-annoyance.

We had a discussion on another thread a couple of weeks ago about the use of toe-straps and i think the concensus was, that given the sort of airtime we get and the general bouncing around we do, it would be a much safer option to have them, rather than not.

Having been in the Ribtec without them, and having had a few interesting landings in the past month, i think it is probobly better to keep your feet in line with your body. Without them i think there is a tendacy to spread your feet across to the sides of the boat. I think that if you had an unhappy landing this is may cause your back and hips to twist more and take more of a weight bearing, resulting in back injury.

When i have landed sideways in a boat, with feet in the toe straps, i have rolled with the rib, rather than trying to stay upright, or falling down between the tube and the console, which is not generally desirable. I think that trying to keep your body straight is the main thing.

The risk of ankle injury is of course still a factor, but providing you have adequate footwear and your feet well into the straps, i dont see it as risky as skiing.

Having said all of that, and having repeated to CJL the other day, toe straps are as far as i would go, the day that four-point harnesses come into play and bucket seats i think i will be taking things a little too seriously, mind you, i bet its going to happen..........
Old 26 October 2004, 22:21   #4
CJL

RIBase
Thanks for your comments so far guys but I`ve made the decision to fit them and I`m just wondering if anyody else has tried it.

I will contact Ribtec in the morning as they will probably know the definative answer. They will probably say drill away but I just wanted to check. If any has done this please let me know as what the engineer says can be different from what the man on the ground doing it says, if you now what I mean!

Thanks guys

Chris
Old 27 October 2004, 06:22   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
CJL

Could you point me in the general direction of where you can purchase the toe straps?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 27 October 2004, 06:31   #6

Town: Blandford / London
Boat name: Top Cat
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 235020739
You could try the guys at boardwise, http://www.boardwise.co.uk/. They might be able to supply you with some windsurfing type foot straps.

Our new rib has them fitted and I do like them, but don’t forget your passengers as they might like some to !
Old 27 October 2004, 07:31   #7

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Very helpful contribution to the footstrap thoughts...
Especially CND's summary.

Quite like bucket seats tho'

missus
Old 27 October 2004, 08:50   #8

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Hi Chris
Watch outwhere you screw them down - do you remember Ross' first rib, this had tow straps retro fitted. Unfortunatly the screws went through the deck and out the hull !! not prity!!
Jelly
Old 27 October 2004, 08:56   #9
CND

Town: UK
Boat name: Searider Something !
MMSI: witheld number
CJL, i am wondering if you can buy some sort of expanding bolt? I think that would be much better than some beefy self tappers?
Old 27 October 2004, 17:46   #10
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
The floor on my Ribtec is 18mm plywood so you should be ok fitting with some short self tappers, but I wouldn't rely on them to hold you to the boat.

I was going to fit them to mine but having used it without I think they I would not use them as I tend to like to move my feet around depending on sea conditions.
Old 27 October 2004, 18:42   #11

Town: Dartmouth
foot straps

Paul tilley has a type of foot strap which you can glue to the floor as they have a Hypalon base.

His number: 01803 833309
Old 27 October 2004, 20:00   #12

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Cheers ED . yes i do have the mod type of footstrap which can be glued to the deck and their quite cheap . phone 01803 833309
Old 28 October 2004, 14:31   #13

Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
I fitted some very simple Valiant ones to the last little Humber - Nylon webbing with a decent quality s/s foot-plate and two large diametre, short self tappers, bedded on Sikaflex, which grabbed the webbing well.

They have been tested!

Just a thought on position though: mine were set so that I could "stand" knees bent in a "shock absorbing" stance!!

From horseriding, the most balanced position is with your shoulder/hip/heel all lined up.

Having said all that, I believe there is a school of though that suggests straps may be dangerous - if you do get hurled about they can apparently cause muscle / tendon tears? Probably preferable, in most circumstances, to MOB though?
Old 31 October 2004, 18:53   #14
CJL

RIBase
i've got some windsurfers neopreane toestraps from a local watersport shop. It was forty quid for two sets. I think they're Magic Marine. Fully adjustable with velcro sections. Thanks for letting me know the deck thickness and i'm gonna give it a try with some short fat self tappers.
Chris.
Old 31 October 2004, 19:01   #15

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Sea Rider Toe Straps

Can any one tell me how deep the floor is on my Sea Rider.
I want to screw some holes in it for the toe straps but don't want to ga all the way through.
Is the usual way drill the holes only just long enough. Fill with silkaflex. The screw in the self tappers.
I don't want to end up with my floor falling in bits with water ingress.
Any Help appreciated.
Old 31 October 2004, 19:04   #16

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Just thought of the ultimate - ski bindings and boots!!!! Then again maybe not.............
Old 31 October 2004, 19:07   #17
CJL

RIBase
By the way Windchill, your right about the possibility of hurting yourself. My last boat had toe straps and I did hurt my foot. BUT i hurt my foot but i had my whole foot in the strap not just my toes. That's why I've chosen toe straps which you cannot get your feet into.