Old 27 August 2005, 21:38   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Today in the solent I was.....

mostly being rescued! Went out from warsash today to go over to the island. Me, my best mate, and our two daughters. All going swimmingly, kids are loving it etc. My mate decides he wants to photograph the big ships in the middle of the solent, so i slowed down and put the rib in neutral to allow him access to the dry storage. As i put her in neutral she cut out, very wierd. So I tried to restart it but it wasn't having any of it. Choke on / off , throttle, no throttle etc. Just started then died. Anyway the harbour master, who is piloting a big ship in, comes over to tell us to move, realises we are in a small spot of bother and gives us a tow for about 1/2 a mile up southampton water at which point the pilot skipper points behind me a ta a very large rib coming up very quickly. Pilot casts us off, I thank him, all kids etc loaded into large Diesel Rib and off we go again, tornado in tow, up the hamble. I would just like to take this oppurtunity to thank all involved and I knew there was a reason I renewed my RNLI subscription this year! The crew of the RIB didn't judge me, make any comments other than play with the kids and when I apologised they simply said 'no problem'. At the end of the day we all had lifejackets and proper gear on and I commented 'surely I can't be biggest idiot on the water' they replied 'no way'. They even offered advice as to the problem with the engine. The harbour master at warsash was just as helpful allowing me to use the pontoon to tinker with the motor and offered me assistance over to the slip. Can I also thank the chap in the white hulled rib with with dark blue tubes (yellow pennant on a-frame) who also offered me a line.
Thankyou to you all!

Jizm
Old 27 August 2005, 22:30   #2

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Its good to know the spirit of the mariner is still alive.

Did you find out what caused the breakdown?
Old 27 August 2005, 22:41   #3

Town: Pagham Harbour
Boat name: Scallywag
Make: Arran 16
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu
Sounds to me if it was big open grey tubed Rib from the Hamble then it was 'Hamble Inshore Lifeboat'.

They are brave guys and an independant service seperate from the RNLI.

Glad to hear that you were all okay and I hope the engine isn't too painfull to fix.

M
Old 27 August 2005, 22:44   #4

Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Saw you........

being towed in as I was leaving the Hamble this afternoon. It was the Hamble Rescue rib that was towing you in. Actually not part of the RNLI - they are a totally independently funded operation. You can find mor info here. Hamble

I'm glad all worked out OK.
Old 28 August 2005, 07:40   #5
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm
At the end of the day we all had lifejackets and proper gear on and I commented 'surely I can't be biggest idiot on the water' they replied 'no way'.

Jizm
There but for the grace of god......

Mechanical breakdown can happen to any mariner, no matter how well prepared. As long as the right kit is carried on board and all sensible precautions taken, I guess it's a part of being on the water. I've towed a few boats in and always have at the back of my mind that one day it might be me on the other end of the rope!

Hope your engine prob isn't serious.
Old 28 August 2005, 08:54   #6

Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
It's so fustrating when the engine wont start ,as we have had a few experiances , and it turns out to be the smallest of things that cause it.
Old 28 August 2005, 09:21   #7

Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
I always offer a helping hand when I can... mind you, having a bright orange rib with two engines I often get flagged down "Are you the coast guard?"

lol, think the next rib will be a different colour

Glad someone was around to help you when you needed it Jizm!
Old 28 August 2005, 10:43   #8

When I got back to the slip there was some bloke revving hell out of his jet ski, while it was still on the trailer on dry land! He then launched, jumped on wearing nothing but a short wetsuit, and went flat out towards the river entrance dodging sailboats as he went!
When I got home I tinkered with he outboard, setting the carbs to thier factory settings, cleaning and adjusting etc. I was sure it was fuel related so I also replaced the fuel in the tank. Motor still the same.
In the end I took the three carbs off and gave them a birthday, They weren't the worst I'd ever seen but not the best either. Cleaned out the float bowls, jets etc blew it all through with carb cleaner and compressed air. Refitted the whole lot and what do you know! Primed her up, and after the third turn of the key she fired up and purred like a kitten!
Just gonna go and try it again in a mo so fingers crossed it is still ok.
Very strange.
Old 28 August 2005, 11:24   #9

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Best buy this year for me was my Tohatsu 8 Hp Aux.

Spent the past two seasons without an Aux and never had any problems, bought my Tohatsu this year and have broken down twice

It was a great feeling to spark her up on motor in albeit at a leisurely 6 knots

Shaggy
Old 28 August 2005, 19:02   #10

Well guess what? it's not ok. Started fine and ran fine until I put it in neutral once I'd been on the plane for a while then it cut out and wouldn't start again, this time I deliberately didn't do it until I was 50 yards from the slip though! Paddled in and now it the bin in the garden and it's back to how it was. Starts and ticks over few a few seconds then cuts out and dies. Gonna post this in the engie section for some help.

And yes I will be replacing my aux engine!
Old 28 August 2005, 19:48   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger
being towed in as I was leaving the Hamble this afternoon. It was the Hamble Rescue rib that was towing you in. Actually not part of the RNLI - they are a totally independently funded operation. You can find mor info here. Hamble
I wonder how many times people who are assisted by independent lifeboats immediately give a donation to the RNLI instead!

We had quite a discussion about supporting the independent lifeboats stations a while back http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5204

It's still something that I think needs more publicity.

John
Old 28 August 2005, 19:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I wonder how many times people who are assisted by independent lifeboats immediately give a donation to the RNLI instead!

We had quite a discussion about supporting the independent lifeboats stations a while back http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5204

It's still something that I think needs more publicity.

John
Good point John, I was thinking about it until it became apparent that it was the hamble lifeboat. I wil be visiting them with a gift soon!