Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 19 October 2009, 10:21   #1

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
To who ever that rib was off Hamble yesterday (18th October)...

Thanks,

It's good to know there are people out there who will try to help others with no prompting.

We were doing a side by side tow about to enter the hamble and got dusted at close quarters by a 50-60ft motor cruiser. This resulted in both vessels being flung about in heavy wake.

We had the lights on and they did see us, just decided not to slow down. We obviously had restricted manoeuvrability.

At this point looking down the river I could see three more cruisers powering up and was pretty much resigned to the fact that even though they had seen us, they would still come hammering out and buffet us against the disabled vessel.

Low and behold, another rib came up on our starboard rear quarter, saw we had been done once already and then proceeded to go ahead of us and ward off the cruisers!

Did it with a certain vigor i might add, quality!

A man and a woman, I think you had a blue collar, may not have been, was a tad busy. If you come on here, cheers for that, saved any potential damage being done to either vessel.

Double thumbs up from me.
Old 19 October 2009, 11:51   #2

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent-Salted View Post
Low and behold, another rib came up on our starboard rear quarter, saw we had been done once already and then proceeded to go ahead of us and ward off the cruisers!
Nice one all round
Old 20 October 2009, 10:16   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Are you able to report some clown for doing stuff like that and nearly causing an accident? If they did it in a car or an aeroplane it would be an offence, not sure about a boat...?

I'm always very conscious of wake and its effect on people in smaller boats - around here just the odd inflatable or kayak on a calm day - it amazes me that people who clearly have enough intelligence to earn the money to own a cruiser can then drive it like an arse...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2009, 11:03   #4

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I'd have shouted the CG on CH16, the offending boat should hear this also...

I'm the same as SL and slow down when passing kayakers or other small boats.
Some tw@t in a new fantastic plastic thing when blasting past us when the engine box was open trying, my Dad was putting a water pipe back on.
Saw them on the pontoon and the lad said "oh we saw you were ok so carried on", tool!
Old 20 October 2009, 11:10   #5

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
From what i have seen around Salcombe and Dartmouth owning a Gin Palace and driving like a complete tw@t go hand in hand.

I was watching a Sunseeker owner trying to anchor and was a perfect example on how not to do it. He gave up after about 6 attempts to spare the embarrassment.

It sure made me realise that a lot of these owners haven't got a clue however they go around thinking they rule the seas....N**bbers
Old 20 October 2009, 11:12   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I'd have shouted the CG on CH16, the offending boat should hear this also...
You assume they have a radio , its turned on , and they are listening ....... I find a lot of boats dont listen for whatever reason - to the point when I got shouted at when Porland CG asked me to respond to an emergency call meaning I was speeding down the harbour !

Generally twats dont listen in my experience.
Old 20 October 2009, 11:34   #7

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
- it amazes me that people who clearly have enough intelligence to earn the money to own a cruiser can then drive it like an arse...
Thats the problem now, it does not take intelligence to earn large amounts of money. They then think that large amounts of money equals intelligence!

Well done to the RIB who helped out
Old 20 October 2009, 11:58   #8

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Engine: None
Aye,

It's not the first and it wont be the last time, we have reported in the past but the CG are pretty much powerless unless they have a boat on the water.

Sometimes they have Osprey afloat during big events dishing out "Advice".
Old 20 October 2009, 18:23   #9

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I've heard Solent CG call up a cruiser and bollock him when it steamed past a group of Canoeist at high speed. The Cruiser Captain denied this however.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2009, 19:03   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Wow - its like the ybw forums round here with all the "my particular type of boat" is driven more responsibly that "your particular type of boat" bollox. So - do you have to be perfect to buy a rib or do you automatically get upgraded to a more superior being when your rib arrives?
Old 20 October 2009, 19:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Wow - its like the ybw forums round here with all the "my particular type of boat" is driven more responsibly that "your particular type of boat" bollox. So - do you have to be perfect to buy a rib or do you automatically get upgraded to a more superior being when your rib arrives?
I think what people are getting at is that some people go out with an open cheque book buy a nice, sometimes big boat and drive it like an idiot not realising that they are been a menace.

It isn't just big gin palaces. Some people splash out on a nice RIB and may complete the approriate RYA courses but still come flying past and wave and be friendly when you have divers down and flying the A flag.
Old 20 October 2009, 19:27   #12
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
To tell the truth I find it's these fast fishers which come steaming into the dock sending pontoons flapping around.
Old 20 October 2009, 20:49   #13

Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
I can agree that it's not just the big gin palances, idiots can be in any boat - it's just that gin palaces create a bigger wake...

I was on a small work boat the other weekend that we had taken into the beach to unload bouys etc, when a wake from a huge gin palace that had driven very close hit it and beached the boat. It was literaly high & dry - luckily we were all on the beach at the time otherwise I reckon someone would have been injured

The skipper had an earful from our patrol boat a few minutes later
Old 20 October 2009, 22:09   #14

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
OOoh Polwart ! will you put that handbag down
Old 20 October 2009, 22:34   #15

Town: Chichester
Quote:

Nope, but the effect of being a ignorant fool with no idea how to handle a boat is greatly increased by it's HP and displacement. I could spend hours and I mean literally hours recording larger boats traveling though Chichester Harbour near the entrance about an hour after Chi Marina goes on free-flow and observing simply selfish, dangerous and stupid behavior most days through the summer, it is not also the large stink pots, it is the yacht owners as well, there are too many people who have no idea!
Old 20 October 2009, 22:57   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen-RIB View Post
Nope, but the effect of being a ignorant fool with no idea how to handle a boat is greatly increased by it's HP and displacement. I could spend hours and I mean literally hours recording larger boats traveling though Chichester Harbour near the entrance about an hour after Chi Marina goes on free-flow and observing simply selfish, dangerous and stupid behavior most days through the summer, it is not also the large stink pots, it is the yacht owners as well, there are too many people who have no idea!
You should pop over to www.ybw.com/forums you'll like it there! Basically from what I can see you have to decide which box you are in:

dinghy
rib
pwc/jet ski
yacht
mobo
fast fisher

etc.

Whichever category you are in - you must immediately find fault with the behaviour of the owners of all other categories... (rib owners are for some reason often referred to as no-necks over there!)

Not detracting from the original post (which wasn't a rant but rather a thank you) - what then seems to happen is that at every opportunity someone has a bit of a go at the others and a mundane argument goes on. This process goes on week after week, month after month, year after year. (If you go to a cycling forum you will find roadies, downhillers, singletrack mountain bikers all doing the same, and I am sure it will be the same in other "niche" activities).

Right I'm off to bed to sleep well knowing that as an "almost" rib nobbur I am superior to all other boaters...
Old 21 October 2009, 08:30   #17
JSP

Quote:
You should pop over to www.ybw.com/forums you'll like it there! Basically from what I can see you have to decide which box you are in:

dinghy
rib
pwc/jet ski
yacht
mobo
fast fisher

etc.

Whichever category you are in - you must immediately find fault with the behaviour of the owners of all other categories... (rib owners are for some reason often referred to as no-necks over there!)

Not detracting from the original post (which wasn't a rant but rather a thank you) - what then seems to happen is that at every opportunity someone has a bit of a go at the others and a mundane argument goes on. This process goes on week after week, month after month, year after year. (If you go to a cycling forum you will find roadies, downhillers, singletrack mountain bikers all doing the same, and I am sure it will be the same in other "niche" activities).

Right I'm off to bed to sleep well knowing that as an "almost" rib nobbur I am superior to all other boaters...
I'm in trouble. I have my RIB, sail on my brothers sotherly 28 and some powerboaters become a real pain in the arse and I go out on my dads Princess and then sail boats do my head in when they suddenly decide to tack across with no thought to who's steaming around them.

I just hate the bloody lot of ya!!
Old 21 October 2009, 08:52   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
(rib owners are for some reason often referred to as no-necks over there!)
That's outrageous! They should look on here; we've got more neck than a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I'm in trouble. I have my RIB, sail on my brothers sotherly 28 and some powerboaters become a real pain in the arse and I go out on my dads Princess and then sail boats do my head in when they suddenly decide to tack across with no thought to who's steaming around them.

I just hate the bloody lot of ya!!
There's a Corollary to that Theorem...
Old 21 October 2009, 08:57   #19
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
There's a Corollary to that Theorem...
Not fair. Willk use big words gain
Old 21 October 2009, 09:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Not fair. Willk use big words gain
Just googled it but I got lost after the first line. I'm afraid someone from down south wil have to translate!