Old 29 July 2008, 11:31   #21

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Does alot of the problem come form some water users thinking they have the sole right to be out ? Canoes generally are OK , but cooming in to port last week, one started shouting 'water' at me as he crossed from right to left - I back off and he deliberately aims for my bow as if to try & get as close as possible - crew run to bow as he has now dissapeared from view ! Missed by about 3 inches - but i was in a very narrow channel & slowed but he still aimed for me ! You can guess the wave he got from me involved a couple of fingers & choice words. I will always slow/ stop for rowers & canoes , but cant stand it when there is no acknowledgement - not even a nod of the head ! I wave/ nod to everyone I see sometimes very over the top if I know its a boat that has ignored me before just makes the point that yes I do have large poluting petrol engine , but hey when was the last time they looked at their own big poluting diesel buried in their boat ? And yes when you run aground I will have to pull you off / stand off while you sort yourslef out ! ( This does also apply to powerboats - usually anything with a flybridge)
Old 29 July 2008, 11:50   #22

Town: westlancs/anglesey
Boat name: Humper 2
Make: osprey vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: evinrude e-tec 250hp
to wave or not to wave

Jono, you obviously not familiar with some of the TB sailing fraternity,I am not normaly rude to people in word or gesture but some of these people are so unbelievably arrogant towards their fellow boaters wether power or sail.I think it quite correct to acknowlege their unpleasantness. I should just add that the majority of the TB sailors are very pleasant people,as always there are a few t..ts! that are below contempt.
Old 29 July 2008, 12:07   #23
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
…and thereby reinforcing their prejudice or stereotyping of Rib drivers. Very helpful.

You don't say?
One needs to employ the Royal wave. If one then drops two fingers and swivels the wrist by 180 degrees then the resultant gesture becomes far more friendly.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2008, 12:16   #24

Town: Lexington Park, MD.
Make: Apex A17
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70HP Evinrude
Great topic! Last weekend I was out taking pics of a couple charter boats when I saw a 30' sail boat leaving the channel under full sail. We have an odd section here where the channel splits and goes two different directions. both are a good 20-45 feet but the space in between can be as shallow as 2 feet at low tide.

I put the camera down and popped off to go warn him but when I waved and approached to within shouting distance the gentleman at the helm and both his friends flipped me the bird and started shouting "stay away".

I pulled back throttle and waited for them to run aground then puttered up and asked if they'd like a tow. Hate to say it but I really enjoyed being a smug prick while pulling his boat off the mud.

On the flip side, I passed him later on my return trip and all three waved at me. lol!
Old 29 July 2008, 12:16   #25

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABS View Post
...when they are being blown onto Brambles Bank with a line around the prop and no wind!
How does that work?!?!

I generally wave when passing close to another boat, whether I'm on a sail or power craft. Variable return, but often the gesture is just missed (as I'm sure I may miss the odd wave from others).

What's really tough is when you're out on a PWC (JetSki) and you wave. The response covers the whole spectrum, from a wave, to a glare with arms folded, to a loud "Harrrumph", followed by the whole crew turning their backs on us, and that's when we're just pootling down the River Itchen at 5kts! I've never felt so put upon on the water in my life!
Old 29 July 2008, 13:59   #26

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
Bogib, intersting point about waving on the gravel roads, have booked a weeks travel to Iceland with car, (three kids+wife, 11th August) exploring the southern side. Keep an eye out for a RAV4 with a mad Englishman waving at everyone
Old 29 July 2008, 14:29   #27

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Interesting. I spent a couple of days out on a lake entertaining my dive buddy's kid and his friends (17 and 18 year olds.) I noticed that the more expensive (and/or more recently off the showroom floor) the boat was, the less likely you'd get a return gesture of friendliness.

In Monterey, I usually wave at just about anybody on the water, be it kayaks, sailboats, inflatables, fishing boats, or commercial whale watching charters. Usually all but the hardcore fishing boats (commercial or over-the-top recreational guys) wave back.

A few exceptions are a large black SIB, an Aluminum Chambered Boat, and a handbuilt aluminum catamaran, all owned by other divers. For some reason, they never wave back. Not very friendly on shore, either, though, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

jky
Old 29 July 2008, 15:53   #28

Town: London
Make: Humber
Engine: 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABS View Post
being blown onto Brambles Bank with a line around the prop and no wind!
How does that happen with no wind ;-)

OOOps should have read all posts
Old 29 July 2008, 21:16   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
Bogib, intersting point about waving on the gravel roads, have booked a weeks travel to Iceland with car, (three kids+wife, 11th August) exploring the southern side. Keep an eye out for a RAV4 with a mad Englishman waving at everyone
Just back - great trip, met Bogib. Mind the Mountain bus drivers, no waves given, no quarter given either!
Old 10 August 2008, 12:10   #30

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Engine: Yamaha 150
Just spent everyday for the last two weeks out on the water. First half on the rib down in Cornwall, second at Cowes yotting.

We generally wave / acknowledge everyone from the rib and most reply likewise. Of course some ignore but I particularly like the look of surprise on some yachts and the instinctive wave back before they can help themselves.

On the yacht, we don't tend to acknowledge all during racing - rather too busy and way too many out in Cowes week! But in other circumstances we do so when passing others.

We also always make a point of thanking with a wave any boat that has given way to us when sailing, especially when racing.

I'm pretty certain that most sailing types don't have too much antipathy for ribs - if you'd seen the number at Cowes last week, they are being used as general runabouts by so many now. My crew want to know when I'll be using ours as a 'support boat' (read play boat for them)!
Old 10 August 2008, 13:15   #31

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Baa, humbug! What's with all this waving? I've got better things to be thinking about.
Old 13 August 2008, 15:10   #32

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
In France it seems to be the same thing, most people wave, even the trawlers wave to me as I fish too. I understand that kayakers have difficulty waving but they usually acknowledge a wave with a nod of the head. As a diver however I realise that alot of yatghies (I have a problem spelling that word) can't see (or don't look) in front of them. I can say that because many of them realise that i'm there when the're nearly on top of me. I would imagine that not seeing is a good reason for not waving.
Old 13 August 2008, 15:25   #33

Town: Clanfield
Boat name: Ragless
Make: Ocean
Engine: Evinrude 175DI
MMSI: 235066488
Send a message via MSN to BigFella Send a message via Skype™ to BigFella
I'll wave to anyone and everyone me
Old 14 August 2008, 07:56   #34

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Mr Halliday and Mr 7 tell me its much more fun to dip your flag to anything from the 'Grey Funnel line'.Nasher
Quite correct, along with ensuring that you raise the Ensign at 0800 hrs each morning and lower it at sunset, now must dig out that application for a warrant to fly a blue