Old 24 September 2013, 18:24   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Humber
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2007 Merc 75hp 2S
Okay so a lot of my time is spent outside of the UK and at the moment I don't have a car in the uk because it's not worth it. Currently the rib I have is stored at home on the drive (parents house). This is good for working on the boat etc and knowing its secure but when I come home it's a pain because i am relying on friends etc to launch the boat. I can store the boat in a marina for £13 a week on the hard in a lock up. But I still have the problem of launching.

They have offered me a 12 month contract and for just over 2k a year they will store my boat and offer a launch and recovery service which isn't effected by the tides.

Part of me thinks It will be perfect as I can get down to the marina and the boat is already sat in the water waiting to go.

Also the price of buying a car, insurance, tax, maintenance and upkeep. I'd probably be better just paying the 2k?

What do you guys think?
Old 24 September 2013, 18:51   #2

Length: 6m +
Your paying £25 extra per week for the launch facility, I'd say that's too much, unless you use it every week! Why not get it on a 6 month launch/recover and store it at home (or at £13 per week) the off-season, then your only paying for launch/recover when you need it. www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 24 September 2013, 18:57   #3

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
I did this for 5 years, worked abroad, and kept te boat on hard standing, having her craned in when needed. Worked for me but working on boat is a pain if its 100 miles away from your UK base like mine is.

I had a car but preferred this option for the boat, just for convenience, not having to worry about rusting brakes etc.

Have you even still got a uk driving license? I did not at that time as I had to switch it for a foreign one, and found getting car insurance really difficult. Finally found a broker who would insure me in a foreign license.
Old 24 September 2013, 22:08   #4

"Licence" does not contain an 's'

I would argue that keeping the boat on your parents driveway is LESS secure than in a marina. After all aren't the majority of RIB thefts done on those which are dry stored?
Old 24 September 2013, 22:20   #5

Ffs what are you, a teacher? So I maybe made a spelling mistake, whoopy bloody doo

Ps...
"license[ lahy-suhns ]
noun
1. formal permission from a governmental or other constituted authority to do something, as to carry on some business or profession.
2. a certificate, tag, plate, etc., giving proof of such permission; official permit: a driver's license.
3. permission to do or not to do something."
Old 24 September 2013, 22:20   #6

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
I found I seldom took the boat out when I had to tow it to site. The thought of a long day made longer with boat hassles wasn't appealing. Decided to put it in at a Marina. I call up the day before and they launch and tie up for me arriving. I turn up, go out, tie up to pontoon when done then head for a pint. They recover and jet wash it. Simplicity. I've been out more in the last 6 months than the previous 2 years put together. For the year it costs me £1250
Old 24 September 2013, 22:23   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
"Licence" does not contain an 's'

I would argue that keeping the boat on your parents driveway is LESS secure than in a marina. After all aren't the majority of RIB thefts done on those which are dry stored?
What's with the spelling correction?
I for one would not like to be picked up on my spelling, this forum is about Ribs not spelling!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2013, 22:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post

What's with the spelling correction?
I for one would not like to be picked up on my spelling, this forum is about Ribs not spelling!
Precisely, and I might be American in which case there is actually no mistake.
Old 24 September 2013, 22:32   #9

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
"Licence" does not contain an 's' I would argue that keeping the boat on your parents driveway is LESS secure than in a marina. After all aren't the majority of RIB thefts done on those which are dry stored?
I'm not sure about that. I've had two engines stolen from the back of ribs, both whilst stored in supposedly secure marinas. I've never had a problem when the boats were parked on my drive.
Old 24 September 2013, 22:38   #10

To be honest, I think security can be an issue wherever a boat is stored. Yards get targeted for large scale thefts just as a boat on your front drive can seem like an easy target. Ask nugent.
Old 25 September 2013, 06:00   #11

Length: 10m +
Agree that RIBs are equally vulnerable at home or in a marina, but at the end of the day that is what you pay insurance for.

Certainly far more convenient keeping in a dry stack/launch & recovery and compared to the cost of maintaining a trailer, having to run a bigger vehicle to tow with, extra fuel when towing, slipway fees, etc may not work out much different cost wise. One downside is it will limit you to always starting from the same place, whereas if its on a trailer you have more flexibility.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2013, 06:59   #12

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Had mine in a marina for years on a similar deal, it certainly made things incredibly easy especially on mid week evenings.
Old 25 September 2013, 07:16   #13
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I'm a big fan of dry berthing. It makes the whole process so much easier that you're almost bound to get more use from the boat.
Old 25 September 2013, 07:42   #14

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
I put my boat in a park and ride in April and have used it more this season as a consequence. I can't believe the faff I used to go through launching and how simple it is now.
All depends on location but I pay less than £2k per year on the east coast for an 8 metre boat.
Old 25 September 2013, 08:13   #15

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Dry Stack it! You'll likely get much more use out of it, it will be safer and if it's a good facility, working on your boat or cleaning it will be easy too. Apologies in advance for any spelling or grammatical errors
Old 25 September 2013, 08:37   #16

Okay thanks for your replies, I have emailed the marina back to see if we can come to an arrangement on a price. As £2000 does seem quite expensive in comparison to what you guys are quoting on here.

Will let you know how I get on.
Old 25 September 2013, 08:54   #17

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
I pay just over 2k for the 6 months 'summer' season dry sail, yard launch boat and leave on a walk-ashore pontoon, I turn up and burn some fuel , once I've finished playing the yard recover boat / wash and fit cover. Unlimited launch's and its meant I've got to use the boat significantly more than I would trailering. Defiantly doing the same in future, not forgetting no need to anti-fowl and the hull doesn't go brown
Old 25 September 2013, 09:29   #18

I think the high price has come from where I am in the UK.

There is only several marinas in Plymouth that are not effected by tides and that offer the launch and recovery service.

So I guess they can charge what they like as competition doesn't seem to be fierce.
Old 25 September 2013, 10:20   #19

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Im reading this thread with interest as my RIB needs to be somewhere for a few months before I take it to Corsica.

As much as Id like my new toy sat on my drive - I live in Oxfordshire - so unless I take it down the Thames I will have to trailer it to the coast. Looking at the map the closest is Southampton, then Portsmouth, then Poole.

Do marinas do deals for just a few months ?

Just how hard is it to stick it in the water yourself - I didnt think that was an issue, but reading this thread either everyone is lazy or Im a bit naive when it comes to launching from a trailer.

Any recommendations for a Marina that would work for me driving down the A34 from Oxford ?
Old 25 September 2013, 10:41   #20

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Im reading this thread with interest as my RIB needs to be somewhere for a few months before I take it to Corsica.

As much as Id like my new toy sat on my drive - I live in Oxfordshire - so unless I take it down the Thames I will have to trailer it to the coast. Looking at the map the closest is Southampton, then Portsmouth, then Poole.

Do marinas do deals for just a few months ?

Just how hard is it to stick it in the water yourself - I didnt think that was an issue, but reading this thread either everyone is lazy or Im a bit naive when it comes to launching from a trailer.

Any recommendations for a Marina that would work for me driving down the A34 from Oxford ?
Me & the missus launch a twin engine 6.4 on our own, although it can be a bit of a handful if it's blowing onshore, even on a slip or harbour. The danger time is between getting the boat off the trailer & me parking up the trailer & car & returning to the boat. Your boat with the extra weight & windage will need a couple of sturdy folk to hold her in a wind/current. Failing that you need to drive the boat straight off the trailer & let somebody else faff about with the car/trailer. Recovery is a reverse & can be tricky in poor conditions, we have got it down to a fine art & still find it stressful NEVER EVER beach launch don't be tempted, don't let anyone talk you into it, don't feel pressured to do it, just don't.

Just my 2 penneth from experience.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote