Old 01 June 2005, 16:00   #41

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Rob asked openly for advice To go or not to go? and he certainly got loads

As skipper he was responsible for himself.

Have to say a few hours spent with an instructor could help cut out a lot of woe
There are never any gilt edged guarantees 'out there' even with the training but there may be even less without

Glad you're safe home,

missus

Old 01 June 2005, 16:00   #42
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
I have read the posts on both of these threads.

Being a boring and prehaps over sensible person i wouldnt have gone the trip but i am the first to admit i have missed out on opportunities because of this attitude.

I am delighted Rob made the trip safely and hopefully learnt from the experience. i can see his views on "Pushing the boundries" and have no problems with that. I would also hope however Rob can see that this wasnt a textbook cruise and is maybe not the best example for other people to follow.

i dont see the point in argueing if rob should or should not have gone. he has done it and been honest in telling us about it. At the risk of sounding contraversial, who are we to apply our standards to other people??
I agree entirely Zippy, well put.

Old 01 June 2005, 17:16   #43

Town: London
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 150hp
Hi all

I reckon we have fully exhausted this topic - It has been a blast and it really brightens my day whilst sat behind a PC.

I appreciate all the comments and to be honest it is a topic for which I have argued many times - whether it was should we or shouldnt we clear a mine field in Bosnia or take my bike past 150 mph.

On a fear scale I really was more nervous canoeing down a flood river in Bavaria than making the crosssing.

The boat felt good - I was methodical and picked my way through. I felt at ease and even enjoyed it (only when I spied the eastern isles)

Yes I am very new to boating - but I cannot gain experience from reading about it, I am somebody who needs to enjoy everything life can throw at me. I now know what it like to make 30 mile solo crossing to the Scillies in large seas.

As for getting lost - just another experience, I wasnt actually lost as I knew I had arrived just couldnt see the habour and spent some time gingerly edging forward untill the entrance appeared. Of course a scared sister can exagerate the story somewhat.

Training - YEP I done the RYA level 2 with Seasmart in Portsmouth.

Hightower - no offence intended.

I have monthly ninja tests - next month I am off kitesurfing to Tarifa, now you want scary try that. Big kite big winds and even bigger sea.

Right Desperate houswives it is then

Night all.
Old 01 June 2005, 17:20   #44

Town: Fareham
Next time ya down the Solent Rob, we can buy each other a Beer and talk about our Kiting exploits. Mine isn't surfing though, it's buggying .

Andy
Old 01 June 2005, 17:29   #45

Will do - Im the crap guy getting dragged out to sea with a kite thats too big for him, although now I usually have an orange rib following me out.
Old 01 June 2005, 17:33   #46

Just wait till the winds blowing inland and see if you can startle a few motorists as you fly over a road.
Old 01 June 2005, 19:06   #47

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Rob

You still haven't explained how you lost you shoes?

It stll makes me laugh

Mark

P.S. Are you going to RibEx; I'll be there Friday
Old 02 June 2005, 00:53   #48

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
just read this as I have spent the last two days surfing some beautiful eight foot waves off the coast of NSW.

Well done Rob - good effort for making it over and back - but the Dog? i hope he was ok...

I fully agree you have to live life to the fullest. i have had my fair share of near death experiences and almost all were as a result of my being insufficiently prepared or venturing beyond the 'safe' line ... my life is fuller for having been in each of them. I just know that had i not been VERY VERY lucky in each of those situations, my familie's lives would be worse as a result of my actions.
Old 02 June 2005, 03:16   #49

I realy admire those people that push beond the boundrys of safety to make themselves feel more alive. I enjoy looking at these exploits on TV, perhaps because I would probably never do it, as I already live a pretty much fully filled life.

This isn't a dig at anyone specific.....But please remember all you extreme types........Sometimes you won't be risking just your life, but possibly that of someone who is trying to rescue you when things don't work out.......That's all.

Now I'll get off my rocking horse, before I'm pushed off.

Rob, I'd like to know what happened to your shoes as well. I nearly saw my spare fuel tank float off one day after I stuffed a wave and filled the RIB up to the top pf the tubes.

Andy
Old 02 June 2005, 03:57   #50

Shoes

Well not to sure really what happened - I was in a dry suit and therefore the shoes were the last to be dropped into the boat.

With the whole wave and wind thingy going on I reckon they got blew out of the boat.

Small price to pay