Old 01 June 2005, 09:39   #21

Town: London
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 150hp
Dont listen to her.

I phoned my parents and informed them I was departing as I could not get hold of Rosa.

The tent poles - - - -- fair one, but initialy we only needed 1 tent therefore did not have time to check the second. Dont forget I was working up untill Firday night and then had to be in PZ for 0530hrs.

Old 01 June 2005, 09:53   #22

Hightower

I wonder what you did this bank holiday weekend?

Sitting in your Ivory (and no doubt padded) tower looking down on us reckless sorts must be somewhat frustrating.

When you are stood at the pearly gates about to meet your maker I hope you are content with all you have achieved.

I will not regret a single thing i have done - the joy of reaching St Marys sound is something that I suppose you will only read about.

We all risk our lives every day of the week - worry about things you cant control - like like cancer or a drunk driver hitting your kids.

Dont spend your time worrying the things you can fix - I took as many precautions as people advised. I made the crossing and had no real issues other than losing the shoes.

Those that have ventured on the danger side will all have stories of things that went wrong or what they could have done better - I have been honest and shared mine with this forum. Others have the same experiences but keep them to themselves.

Old 01 June 2005, 09:53   #23

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Typical irresponsible IT consultant attitude!!
Old 01 June 2005, 10:17   #24

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Rob, you're my kinda guy (no, I don't mean it in that sort of way)- well done and good onya!!
Old 01 June 2005, 10:20   #25

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
At the end of the day whats worse? Rob taking all the gear and going out when rough or the Sunday cruiser with kids and no life jackets, kill cord or anything?
Old 01 June 2005, 10:26   #26

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
There is a difference between pushing the limit and being reckless and supporting this type of approach sends the wrong message. Des
Wot a misery. ... Cumon Des lighten up. The guy changed his gear oil, came back and had a kip, repackaged his gear etc. Read between the lines. It takes 3 days and 40 posts on here just to work out how to change the fekin gear oil.

Quote:
Never mind who spilt the oil. I've got coffee all over my desk and keyboard because I took a mouthful just before I read your post!
Old 01 June 2005, 10:41   #27

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Where's garFie?
Old 01 June 2005, 10:48   #28

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Wot a misery. ... Cumon Des lighten up.
Me no, I leave the dour comments to those north of the border Des
Old 01 June 2005, 11:13   #29

Town: NW/SW/Nigeria
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
Send a message via MSN to Action Man
Guys,

I hate to say it but I admire Rob in a strange sort of way. Ok he went against advice and pushed the limits but at least when he made this post on the forum he didn't try and sugar coat the situation he told everyone where he went wrong honestly and accepted that he did at certain times foul up and make mistakes, we ALL do it. the way we learn is by looking at what other people do and what we have done in the past and build on it. Rob may have built confidence. he may have decided he will never purpously go out in those conditions again but if he found himself in those conditions by accident he would probably be able to get himself out of them calmly and effectivley.

I don't feel it is right to critisise after the event, he is safe and well and learnt lessons just like I am sure some people will learn lessons from him.

lets keep it calm and none critical rib net is a calm forum not a brawling handbag.net forum like some others I could mention lets keep it that way.

I for one would be more than happy to go out in Rob's boat with him. I would probably learn thing and he might do as well lets keep it calm.

Giles
Old 01 June 2005, 11:33   #30

Splitting the vote

Glad to see people are no longer following the "PC" approach and are actually being honest.

Alan Priddy probally had a thousand people telling him he couldnt achieve the amazing feats that he has - if he sat in his armchair being afraid all the things that could have gone wrong he would not left the front door.

Taking risks need to be done in a calculated fashion - but they are just that calculated. I suppose Hightower and the rest of the "dont" possie would still be sitting around the campfire complaining of hunger and cold - whilst certain other indviduals would have made a calculated decision to chase down and do a T-Rex.

Cant wait to get down to Ribex - Im the bald guy with a dodgy head tan dragging a Girlfriend and Child around.

P.S - Has anybody seen Ginger Coasties RIB, V-Nice piece of equipment.