I agree 100% with Jono but just in case you are tempted to poke your nose out and give it a go, it is always worth doing a short distance then turning back to check what conditions are like in both directions, just in case you get to a point where you decide to turn back! If conditions are too bad in either direction don't even start the journey.
A couple of years ago we set out in the company of another boat to go to the Channel Islands. 20 miles out with worsening conditions we decided to turn back, only to find that conditions were actually more uncomfortable now we had turned around! We've since done the trip in perfect conditions - there's always another day!
And if, after all this, you still decide to go for it, make sure you file a passage plan with the coastguard and then remember to let them know once your journey has been completed.
Whatever you decide, have a good weekend!