Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 25 July 2017, 09:40   #21

Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
The boat is now with Scott and Rib Repair. I'll let you know what he says mid next week.
He did a quick look and we both agreed to fix the tubes first and then talk about the bilge pump after. I may just fit one myself rather than asking Scott.
Old 09 August 2017, 20:24   #22

Right, I left the Rib with Scott and he did what he could. He replaced three patches, one of which was leaking quite a bit on the port side. He mentioned that there are some patches where the cones meet the main tubes on each side and they are a bit of a mess, patches over patches sort of thing. He didn't even want to take them off in case he couldn't sort them. As they were minor leaks we've left them as they are.

His general prognosis was, it's an old boat who has had a hard life so not really worth spending big money on. This was my thought also as we only wanted to keep this RIB for a year as a starter boat and then move on to something bigger and more powerful next springtime if funds allow.

I put the boat back in he water last Friday but had to go away for a few days, I returned today and check on it, the tubes are a little soggy on both sides but nothing major - a lot better than they were. So I'm happy.

there was a large volume of water in the boat though thanks to all this rain and the mysterious leak. I'm going to get the boat out of the water on Friday and bring it home. I will then take off the transom drain plugs and stuff, reseal them and refit, if that doesn't help then I'll fit new ones. It will also give me time to asses an automatic bilge pump install which should sort things out, once and for all.
Old 09 August 2017, 20:31   #23

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Great to hear Scott has done what he could for you, without incurring much more serious costs! Hopefully you can enjoy it once the rain goes away...
Old 09 August 2017, 20:34   #24

Once I got Scott talking he was a good guy, he was hesitant initially until he realised I was quite down to earth and knew what to expect.
Old 09 August 2017, 20:46   #25

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Likewise with me - Scott and I started costing up new tubes, adjusting seconds tubes, etc., when similarly I only really wanted some more "temporary"/cost effective measures to cover the rope damage, as the tubes themselves were still holding air perfectly, and I wanted to see how much I'd actually use the RIB before spending big money on what was more of a cosmetic problem.

5 years later and the bow tube covering that Scott put on is still perfect, as are the rear wear patches Rodella Rib's put on a year or two after, and I can enjoy using the RIB without worrying too much about it!