Old 20 August 2013, 12:21   #1

Town: Southsea
Boat name: RIB GLADYS
Make: AVON
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60HP EFI
RIBase
Time for a Rib

Hi, I am new to Rib.Net and like to ask some advise on a Rib which me and my GF are planning to buy and keep in a drystack in Southsea Portsmouth... What we are looking for is a cruising/family RIB, Between 4.7-5.2 meters long with say a 4 stroke 60-90HP engine.... Budget max £12K with a view to try and dip this to £10.5K as a max ...Our main waters will be around the Solent and IOW area and defo not planning to Jump waves etc... Looked at various RIBS on the main websites and understand that buying a good "brand" of RIB and engine might be a safe bet..... Ribeye, Avon, Valiant seem to be my preferred boats.... Companies like Wolfrock, GHB Marnine, JBT have stock and some boats are sold quickly so also looked at Chinese made Piranha and X-pro's which seems a fiar deal even as a new package.... If anybody can give at advise on this that would be great !
Old 20 August 2013, 14:07   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Welcome to Ribnet!

It's worth using the search function on here if there's a specific "obscure" boat you need to find out about.

As has been said dozens of times - What works for me might not work for you, so if they are all at dealers, pick a lumpy water day & ask for a test run or two - what you actually end up buying may not match your original thoughts!, as "real life" out on the water can show up "features" that you won't notice in a showroom.
Old 20 August 2013, 14:15   #3

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I just happen to have a boat that fits your requirements, a 2010 Avon with a 60hp efi Mariner, just put an ad on eBay - Item 171107721867
Old 20 August 2013, 14:32   #4

RIBase
Hey Thanks for your kind advise.... @Thomas... Looks good... so what's the story here, why sell... Did you buy it from new etc .... txs guys
Old 20 August 2013, 14:40   #5

I have a bigger one, tried desperately to hang onto it but the Mrs wants to use the garage for her car????

I've had it for about 18 months, got it from someone who bought it new to keep an eye on the kids sailing.

It's a well build boat with tough tubes, will do 33 knots with one person, on the flip side it's not going to be great when it's rough. It's the same boat as a Zodiac Pro 500 (Zodiac bought Avon).
Old 20 August 2013, 14:52   #6

RIBase
Thomas, thanks for your honesty here. I did my Level 2 on a Valliant 490 and had great fun but it was really nice weather and not even that choppy and was boomed around a bit.... All the advise points to 5.2 mtrs or more to have a bit more comfort and choice when you go on the water... so need to look at that and that all within a tight budget (duh)... patience is the word to look at for me... txs again and as it is such a nice boat I am sure you will sell it quick !! txs huib
Old 20 August 2013, 16:08   #7

Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Engine: Mariner 60
I've recently gotten back into Ribbing (sounds a bit wrong) there wasn't much thought put into my purchase though as it just popped up in the local rag as a seemingly good deal so I took it.

I have a 5m Valiant and for the price I don't regret a thing, however, the one resounding thing for me is that next time I WILL be going for something a bit bigger and a bit more suited to UK waters, Humber, Ribtec, cobra, Osprey etc.

I don't intentionally go out wave jumping either but have been caught out once or twice. Nothing serious or dangerous...just a bit unconfortable / scary! Part of that is due to some weight distribution issues which are being resolved...but the hull shape is quite a big deal in the rough stuff.

If you have a budget of that I would definitely widen your search criteria and take 5/6 boats out in less than perfect weather. (easier said than done I know!)

"'Scuse me mate, can you take me out in your boat?"
Old 20 August 2013, 16:22   #8

Bigger is always better, especially with the Mrs on board!!!
Old 20 August 2013, 16:36   #9

RIBase
Absolutely great point.... listening for months I guess between 5.2 and 6 is a better choice ....... re test ride... Piranha already told me they would take me out for one on a 6 mtr..... Just need to overcome a garage door which is 2.13mtrs wide..:-)
Old 20 August 2013, 16:46   #10

RIBase
2003 Avon Adventure 560 Open - Boats.com

Just wondered if for a 2003 you would find this a good package (and price?)..Its refurbished blah blah and seems to be a respected company..
Old 20 August 2013, 17:48   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huib1965 View Post
understand that buying a good "brand" of RIB and engine might be a safe bet..... Ribeye, Avon, Valiant seem to be my preferred boats.... Companies like Wolfrock, GHB Marnine, JBT
The most respected brands on here are generally sold direct from the builder to the buyer rather than through a middleman. That means you get to spec what you want rather than what the salesman's catalogue had to offer. People also seem to appreciate the benefit of that relationship. It may apply less when buying second hand - but nobody ever felt they were buying into a 'special club' that would make others envious from those three brands. That is not to say that they are bad boats or the dealers you mention won't look after you.

There is a big difference in cost and running cost between a 4.7m / 60HP boat you mention at the start of the thread and a 6m, presumably 150HP+ boat you mention later. And for the same budget one will be much newer / better condition than the other.
Old 20 August 2013, 20:10   #12

Length: 3m +
Quote:
4.7-5.2 meters long with say a 4 stroke 60-90HP engine.... Budget max £12K
£12.7k would buy a brand new 4.6 highfield with a 40HP Honda from SeaSwift (list price).

40HP may sound low but its an ally hull so lighter. So maybe more like having a 50...

Includes a trailer. Do you need a trailer if you dry stack? Has A frame with Nav Lights...

Slightly bigger version did the Round Ireland... so pretty decent boat?
Old 20 August 2013, 21:44   #13

RIBase
Hi.. its indeed a good point and was planning to go and see sea swift to discuss.. also the xpro seems good value for money?
Old 21 August 2013, 07:38   #14

Get yourself a go in a few different hulls before you buy, you'll be amazed how much seemingly small difference make to the ride and get it wrong and you'll regret it, good value is not always the best option, after a few months you'll be so much more knowledgeable and getting it wrong could be costly. There is a boat parked near me and I remember him coming back say he wished he's sea trialed his in poorer conditions before he got it.

Here a search for Ribtecs on ebay, if any are local it's alway worth going to have a look (I'm a little bias towards them as that's what I have), also saw this one....

AVON 620 ADVENTURE RIB SPEED POWER BOAT YAMAHA F115HP OUTBOARD 2012 ROAD TRAILER | eBay
Old 21 August 2013, 08:18   #15

It's personal preference at the end of the day but I just couldn't bring myself to buy a brand new boat. Same with a car. For 12.5k you are getting a brand new 4.7m rib with a 40hp engine. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a fantastic boat (and it might suit your needs perfectly) in which case ignore me.

For me I like buying a quality, looked after second hand boat and getting much more boat for my money.

In fact there was a really nice 6.5(ish) metre Osprey that just went over here for 10k, 150hp engine with low hours, all brand new electronics, lovely condition. I would have had it if I had the money. If I had paid more for a brand new "cheaper" RIB I would be disappointed sat next to that at the boat park.

Like I said though it's personal choice, there is obviously no warranty second hand and you don't always know exactly what you're getting.

I'm probably not helping in the slightest!
Old 21 August 2013, 08:22   #16

RIBase
Thanks Thomas. . Showed my Gf your rib for sale and she loved it... did discuss pros/cons though and for now are looking for 5.2 mtrs... is there a general view on best ribs on this size? Baring in mind that I will likely use it around the IOW only with max force 4-5 (for now)... so which ones will give you tge most comfortable and steady ride.. txs for your views.. learned more in this forum then I did before. ..
Old 21 August 2013, 08:28   #17

RIBase
Hey. You are helping but slightly restricted on size so 5.2 mtrs max... 2nd hand is indeed a good option. ...
Old 21 August 2013, 08:34   #18

Quote:
Hey. You are helping but slightly restricted on size so 5.2 mtrs max... 2nd hand is indeed a good option. ...
In which case after perusing eBay I would probably ignore me completely and buy a brand new shiny one
Old 21 August 2013, 08:47   #19

RIBase
I suspect I will buy 2nd hand but I which is the best 5.2r is the question now :-)
Old 21 August 2013, 09:05   #20

No one will deny these are worth a look at, they are not 'pretty' boats but are sea worthy and for the price you're looking at you wont get both.

Ribcraft Sports Dive Ribs for sale , 2010 Ribcraft 5m Brand New Suzuki 90hp 4-Stroke! - Boats And Outboards
Ribcraft Other Ribs for sale , Ribcraft 5.3m - Boats And Outboards

Not every one does an exact 5.2 so look at anything from 5 - 5.5m, if you buy one of the more established brands and you get it wrong then you'll find it much easier to change later on.

Tags
rib