Old 21 August 2013, 09:06   #21

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
No one will deny these are worth a look at, they are not 'pretty' boats but are sea worthy and for the price you're looking at you wont get both.

Ribcraft Sports Dive Ribs for sale , 2010 Ribcraft 5m Brand New Suzuki 90hp 4-Stroke! - Boats And Outboards
Ribcraft Other Ribs for sale , Ribcraft 5.3m - Boats And Outboards

Not every one does an exact 5.2 so look at anything from 5 - 5.5m, if you buy one of the more established brands and you get it wrong then you'll find it much easier to change later on.
Old 21 August 2013, 09:07   #22

Make: Ribeye 650
Hi, my first was a 5.3 Humber Ocean Pro with (4 stroke) Mariner 90 - great boat, easy to handle but plenty of fun (easily over 40knts) and great in the Solent chop.

I haven't tried too many other brands but can certainly recommend something like this as a great boat. We wanted something that would be easy to manage/handle/look after but that would have lots of life in it as we got more experienced and it certainly ticked all the boxes very well. We are only selling it as we needed more space for small kids/grandparents.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want to know any more about this kind of boat in the Solent

New on here so hope this post doesn't count as blatant advertising or anything - just trying to offer an opinion on a type of boat.

http://www.kb-boatpark.co.uk/Humber_Ocean_Pro
Old 21 August 2013, 09:23   #23

Town: Southsea
Boat name: RIB GLADYS
Make: AVON
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60HP EFI
RIBase
Hey Chris. . Thanks for your response. . Last night I was outside the bridge pub near KB and discussed it with my GF.. lovely boat but prefer a different seating arrangement for now as kids are 6 and 8.... again many thanks for bringing this to my attention. . Am planning to use KB anyway.... only slight concern is that they dont flush engine but surely that's a minor point...
Old 21 August 2013, 09:31   #24

Hi, I missed the fact you had kids...I'm Hamble based so don't know KB's facilities that well but I presume there's hosepipe somewhere nearby that you could access.
If you need more seats then you may need to go a little bit bigger to get 4 jockeys or a small bench - we considered taking out the double jockey and putting a small bench in but used it as an excuse to buy a bigger boat instead!
Old 21 August 2013, 09:40   #25

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huib1965 View Post
Just need to overcome a garage door which is 2.13mtrs wide..:-)
Ribs generally come in three beam sizes: 2m, 2.3m & "the rest"

2m - fits through a standard garage door but does limit your seating somewhat.

2.3m - max you can legally tow in the UK without deflating the toobs. - the extra foot makes al lthe difference for side by side seating / wisde consoles etc.

"the rest" - tend to be big things you'll need a lorry to move anyway!

Also worth considering a "D" rubbing strake if you are reversing in & out a lot - it reduces your cleareance by a couple of inches, but when you miss (i.e hit the door frame!) it'll be worth it's weight......

Somewhere in a previous thread I posted a table of all the "garage door" friendly ribs I had found when I was looking. If you can't find it, post back. Some (e.g Humber O-Pro) come in 2 beam variants.
Old 21 August 2013, 09:51   #26

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I have a Ribeye 6m & love it for family fun out in the Solent & down Devon way too.
Handles the chop well loads of seating & storage, good raised bow, not the best protection from the console!
Have not tried the 5 or 5.5m but if you can go to the 5.5 you get a bit extra deck space and the longer hull will help with the ride too.
They are given a hard time by some on here but hey horses for courses, plenty of people love them!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 09:57   #27

Hi Nick,
I recently traded up to a Ribeye 650 - might not be the most extreme rib you can get but certainly ticks all the boxes for family fun with enough in reserve for a good blast out without the kids. Very happy with it.
Likewise not tried the smaller versions but they should certainly be considered.
Old 21 August 2013, 10:08   #28
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I suspect I will buy 2nd hand but I which is the best 5.2r is the question now :-)
That is a very specific size. Beware not all manufacturers brand their boats based on the same measurement! If it is to fit a garage lengthwise you will need to consider the trailer:

(1) Length of tongue at front (although you can get folding ones).
(2) Height of rollers / bunks to ensure the engine can go down (and you can get the engine over any angles/bumps on the way in/out when in the down position) - otherwise engine will add overhang.
Old 21 August 2013, 10:23   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
2.3m - max you can legally tow in the UK without deflating the toobs. - the extra foot makes al lthe difference for side by side seating / wisde consoles etc.
2.55m now - Linky
Old 21 August 2013, 10:23   #30

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi HUIB1965,

Glad you're considering dry stacking with us. FYI the difference in price to keep a 5.2m boat with us all year (as opposed to taking it home and putting it in the garage for the winter) is less that £365 (inc vat). So, my advice is keep your garage space for other things. Then you don't have to worry so much about a specific length of boat.

By the way, if you want to flush your engine after every use, there are numerous free power and water points on site.

Regards

Steve
Old 21 August 2013, 11:21   #31

Town: Southsea
Boat name: RIB GLADYS
Make: AVON
Engine: Mariner 60HP EFI
RIBase
Thanks Steve. .. need boat first :-)
Old 21 August 2013, 11:27   #32

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Seating style / layout is important if you're using it lots with children - I was not happy with them on a benchseat with little support at 7-8 years old, or double jockeys. I also wanted 2x2 seating for peace of mind if I'm out with just one of them I went for 4 x single jockeys on a RC5.3 - great boat, but it was a bespoke arrangement.

I think 5.2 is not a standard length - you're long at 4.8, 5, 5.3 upwards.
Old 21 August 2013, 12:14   #33

Town: Poole
Boat name: Blue Ocean
Make: Ribeye 600
Engine: Yam 115
Hi Huib1965, I can vouch for the Ribeye as a good family friendly set up for around the Solent. I agree if you are planning on regularly hitting the rought stuff, then it may be worth paying more for a more robust Ribcraft etc. However, for mostly family friendly days out in f4/5 or less I find my 600 ideal at the price I see them for. A 500 or 550 would also be good, however they tend to have single jockeys instead of the double (singles only a problem if you want to take 4 adults out in some fun conditions). I actually think a rear bench is ideal for the kids, aslong as there is something to hold onto and you are helming considerately. I make sure an adult sits between them for safety. Obviously if you are bouncing around in a swell the jockeys are better, but not sure a 6/7 year olds legs are big enough to reach the floor anyway. Lots of choices, but I was in the same position as you and found the Ribeye was the best fit for size/requirements and cost. Just remember, all boats are a compromise in one way or another.
Old 21 August 2013, 12:57   #34

Town: Ile de Re
Boat name: Re lax
Make: Piranha 6m
Engine: Evinrude 90 hp ETEC
RIBase
Quote:
Absolutely great point.... listening for months I guess between 5.2 and 6 is a better choice ....... re test ride... Piranha already told me they would take me out for one on a 6 mtr..... Just need to overcome a garage door which is 2.13mtrs wide..:-)
1. You were half correct re Piranha made in China. The earlier ones were but the newer larger ones are made in their commercial yard in Poland. Much stronger.

2. Nick and the guys at Piranha are very helpful and when we bought earlier this year to take to France they could not have done more.

Someone commented on big is best particularly for the Mrs. Well not if you are regularly launching it off a trailer. Dry stacking removes that issue.

One other thing I nearly bought a Ribtec off Thomas but Piranha offered me a hell of deal on a Boat Show ex demo model. However, I would have purchased off Thomas as he is straight and looks after his RIBs.

Tags
rib