Click Here to Login

Old 04 August 2015, 23:40   #1

Town: Boston
Boat name: Floating RIB
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: 98 Johnson 3cyl 35hp
tilt/trim options for my 35 hp Johnson

It appears that at least the trim motor and possibly the tilt cylinder are shot on my 13' RIB Johnson 35 hp 2 stroke. A full replacement of the unit is about $1100 and and I;m guessing about $300 in labor.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a mechanic (that I haven't used before) with a formal estimate, but it's an older boat with some shortcomings (needs more power/dirty engine/leaky tube/ a little to cramped for diving) and I don't want to/can't drop that kind of money into her this summer.

Does anyone know of any less-than-perfect work arounds for this? Can it be operated manually? Any help is useful!

Gracias!
Old 05 August 2015, 01:32   #2

you may already have what you need on the current engine for a manual trim setup. It is basically a pin and a locking mechanism. Do you have pictures of the mount as it is now or serial number/age etc?

Another option to keep the PTT, you may find cheaper ones about-

CMC PT35 Small Outboard Tilt and Trim by T-H Marine : Cabela's

Or check eBay or whatever adds you have in USA for a used one. You may even find more than one will fit it to widen your search.

Cheers
Old 05 August 2015, 06:43   #3

Length: 3m +
Do I recall a long while ago someone mentioning that most of the hydraulics are actually standard parts used in the hydraulics world. So someone who deals with non-marine hydraulics... perhaps in the JCB/agricultural world might well be able to suggest a suitable equivalent part with the price only multiplied by 5 times what it cost to make and import from China rather than 10 times because they stuck a marine sticker on it...
Old 05 August 2015, 17:09   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Do I recall a long while ago someone mentioning that most of the hydraulics are actually standard parts used in the hydraulics world.
Seals and such are probably standard parts. I would guess that the pump, rams, housings and the like are of a specific design for that motor (though it may be used across a range of motors as well.)

jky
Old 06 August 2015, 13:24   #5

Still waiting to hear back. I accidentally bought a rebuild kit (gaskets and seals etc) on ebay thinking I was getting a rebuilt part. I'm about to send it back for a refund but I might sit on it.

I saw those aftermarket tilt systems but I thought they were just for motor that didn't already built with a power system.

No way to post a message here without linking to a website or fTP eh?
Old 06 August 2015, 13:35   #6

haha newbie pics

I had to search my computer for any pics of boat's transom and this is as good as it gets. The one that is upside down actually shows a good view of the corroded release valve and the bottom part of the assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1041.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	107637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1057.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	107638