Old 06 May 2014, 05:02   #1

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Tiller handle for 4.7 m RIB

Any experience with this on something lie a Zodiac Pro Open 4.7 m RIB?

Does the bow run too high to see what's going on from the back?

One sees so few RIBS of this size with a tiller handle that one wonders why. There are plenty of rigged non-inflatable boats this size that use tiller handles- why not RIBS?
Old 06 May 2014, 20:28   #2

Town: halifax
Make: zodiac,bombard
Engine: 20hp,50hp Johnson
I don't think it would be a problem. I have a bombard 470. it is very close to the zodiac, I just went out and sat on the back in (tiller driving position) and could see fine. no real sight difference than a 3.4-3.8 tiller rib.
Old 07 May 2014, 03:00   #3

Town: Montreal
Make: Airsolid
Engine: Evinrude e-tec 40
the downside of tiller handling:
- no console
- no seating
- no place to put the gas tank, the battery, the VHF, the fishfinder, the antenna, the lights, etc.)
- no stand-up driving

the upside:
- more control at slow speed (that's the reason why I do have a tiller handle rib, for trolling fishing)
- cheaper
- lighter (not as much equipment as in a console rib).
- might give you a tad more floor space.

I ended up adding a console on my tiller rib (an aluminum box use for pick-up truck, purchased at home depot).

Remember that while handling the boat seated on the tube, you can get ejected very easily if the waves are more than 30-50cm at speed of 18-20 knots. I have to get on the knee on the bottom of the boat. I don't feel like I will be able to still do that in a couple of years! It make me feel like I should have invested a bit more money to get a console every time it happens!

For the sight, the people that are onboard with you will most likely be your problem. If you're alone, you will have no problems seeing in front.

Hope it shade some lights on the subject!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1s.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	94285   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2s.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	94286   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_s.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	94287  
Old 08 May 2014, 11:00   #4

Town: Deventer
Boat name: .
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
[QUOTE
Remember that while handling the boat seated on the tube, you can get ejected very easily if the waves are more than 30-50cm at speed of 18-20 knots. I have to get on the knee on the bottom of the boat. I don't feel like I will be able to still do that in a couple of years! It make me feel like I should have invested a bit more money to get a console every time it happens![/QUOTE]
My advise: Try to sit on one knee and put the other foot in the opposite corner, just there where the tube touches the floor. Then push your behind to the tube (not sitting, but leaning at the inside). You will easily be able to do over half a meter swell without getting ejected. We used to have a foam plate (as the childred use in the swimming pool) on the bottom to protect your knees. You will also be sitting 10cm higher then, for a better view.

Rgds, Wouter

Tags
rib