Old 02 April 2015, 06:33   #1

Town: Anchorage
Make: Achilles/Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 50hp ETEC
Tiller handle 70hp Yamaha on a 1994 Zodiac Pro 530?

Does anybody have any experience with a tiller handle on a Zodiac 530 pro? I'm thinking about buying one from a gentleman that replaced the tubes and didn't use it very much. It's currently setup with 4 seats and two consoles. It has an older Mercury 2 stroke 50hp detuned to a 35hp. I was thinking about clearing out all the seats, filling in all the holes, and putting a Yamaha 70hp outboard on it. Do you guys think that's enough outboard for that boat if I put 4 people and a weekends worth of gear and booze?

I currently have a Achilles SU-16 and like it pretty well but I wish it was a bit bigger and the ride on any sort of chop is pretty rough... I know RIB's would help out quite a bit with the ride with the fiberglass but I've heard that this particular Zodiac 530 Pro likes to have weight in the bow? Does anybody have much experience with these? I've included the link to the boat. I'm not sure if you can see it from your countries but I think it's a pretty decent boat... I'm going to see the guy first thing this weekend.

Also, do you guys have any ideas for putting a fuel tank up near the bow? Does a 30 gallon fuel drum strapped near the bow sound too hillbilly? Thanks for all your wisdom!

https://kenai.craigslist.org/boa/4951107102.html
Old 02 April 2015, 18:51   #2

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I think 70hp will be underpowered. The 530 is a beamy boat and solidly built (heavy). The 75 mariner 2 st i used to have was ok with light loads but struggled to get on the plane with cox and any more than 3 divers. That was with a 17" prop, which was probably too high a pitch. I'd not go less than 90. 115 is fantastic.

Phil M
Old 03 April 2015, 00:51   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
any specific reason you want to use a tiller on the outboard and not steering,
as eat and a console?
If your getting a Rib because of its superior seakeeping,
I think using a tiller on a high powered outboard may not be as smart
as steering at a console...this would also put more weight further forward.
I have 2 x 50 litre plastic tanks I can strap to the deck between
the anchor locker and console if I need the extra range over the 120 litre main tank.
(50 litres is around 13 US gallons).
Old 03 April 2015, 19:08   #4

After thinking about it for a bit I think I might go with a console... The reason I wanted a tiller setup is because I wanted maximum floor space and I have a custom aluminum frame that houses two 120qt coolers I use as seats on my Achilles. Where do you have your 120 litre main tank? Is it in your console or under the floor?

I've pretty much decided on the mercury 115hp 4 stroke. The price can't be beat... I havne't heard any reliability issues either. I know Yamaha and Honda are the most reliable but I can't justify paying $4,000+ more for a heavier outboard that might be more reliable...
Old 03 April 2015, 19:09   #5

I use the boat to dipnet which is where you have two people with 5' nets in a river scooping up salmon. Having a tiller makes it much nicer since all you have are coolers and no console to worry about.
Old 03 April 2015, 19:31   #6

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
You could go with a standing console right up front. Shouldn't take up too much space and will offset some of the weight of the engine on the back.

Phil M
Old 03 April 2015, 23:27   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoulos View Post
After thinking about it for a bit I think I might go with a console... The reason I wanted a tiller setup is because I wanted maximum floor space and I have a custom aluminum frame that houses two 120qt coolers I use as seats on my Achilles. Where do you have your 120 litre main tank? Is it in your console or under the floor?

I've pretty much decided on the mercury 115hp 4 stroke. The price can't be beat... I havne't heard any reliability issues either. I know Yamaha and Honda are the most reliable but I can't justify paying $4,000+ more for a heavier outboard that might be more reliable...
The 120 litre tank is under the deck.
Does it have to be calm for you to dip net?
Doesnt sound like the kind of thing you would do in a swell...
or a 5 metre Rib to be honest...
https://youtu.be/8gciFoEbOA8