Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 13 August 2011, 16:24   #1

Make: Lencraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp 2/
Tigerseal or Silkaflex & Hypalon Paint

Whats the differnce between Tigerseal and Sikaflex?

I know both are a polyurethane adhesive but is the only difference in the name and has anyone used them and what are you reviews. See the planned use is to seal the outside edge of the rubbing strake which is partially comming free of the tube. I know some of you will say use Bostik 2402 and in some areas I will have to but to just seal the edges I was thinking of the afore mentioned adhesives.

Another thing is part of the rubbing strake has come off completely( well it is still attached but has severly peeled off). When it came off it took some of the hypalon off the tube. My problem is how to repair it. The tube isn't leaking air(thank God or Neptune or Poseidon or whoever) and I was wondering could I use hypalon paint to cover the bare patches before I put the 2402 on it to repair the strake. And actually is hypalon paint any good to use on the entire boat.

May I just point out that I inherited these problems and I was not responsible for the damage, just so ye dont think I am some sort of reckless individual.
Old 13 August 2011, 16:53   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Dunno what Tigerseal is, but you can use Sikaflex to tidy up flaps and gaps on strakes. Don't use it to secure an entire strake - that's a 2402 job. Don't use the paint below the glue - just follow the gluing instructions having cleaned and degreased the hypalon properly first.

Tec7 is a handy (cheaper) hardware find and works something like Sikaflex.

McNetts Aquaseal/Aquasure etc is a handy urethane sealant for small jobs - when uncured it has no adhesive properties, but forms a good bond and seals very well once hardened.

Why do you want to paint the RIB? Unless it's already fecked (down to the weave), I wouldn't go there. There are lots of ways to refurb tubes that don't involve paint. Show us a pic and we can make suggestions.

BTW, one sure way to remove strake from a RIB is to run it with tubes that are under optimum pressure. The previous owner may have done this.
Old 13 August 2011, 17:21   #3

Thanks willk, the sikaflex is only gonna to be used just to seal the edges and 2402 willbe used for the bigger jobs. In relation to pressure in the tubes that was on a problem. The strake came off from just not being properly tended to. So after time it came free and them Tec7 was used. I have no faith in Tec7 in a marine environment.

As for painting well on the section of damaged strake the hypalon is gone in patches so I just want to paint it to make it a better seal I have considered that the opposite may happen. As for the rest of the boat well it's in fairly OK condition apart for one region where a mooring line rubbed its way partial through the hypalon(pic attached). That being said the hypalon could do with a bit of rejuvenation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	61651  
Old 13 August 2011, 17:34   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Neither Tec7 nor Sika will hold a strake on (for long). Hypalon paint can be peeled off with a fingernail so not good for gluing to.

Other than being bogging, the hypalon looks fine. Paint would ruin her, value wise. You could consider a black neoprene wear patch on the damage, but I'd try a touch up with hypalon paint first. Start with the nearest base colour and add concentrated paint colour from a paint mixing machine until you get a closer match. It won't be perfect, but will not catch the eye of the casual viewer. Cheap start too.
Old 13 August 2011, 18:24   #5

Well you right about the Tec7/Sikaflex because thats what was used before by the looks of it. 2402 is the only thing for it. The wear patches is a good idea especially if the paint doesnt work on that section. Thanks again.
Old 13 August 2011, 19:15   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daghda View Post
especially if the paint doesnt work on that section. Thanks again.
I should have said that I meant just on the actual worn bit - as you would touch up a chip or scratch on a car. Feather it a bit
Old 13 August 2011, 19:24   #7

Of course thats what I meant by section(probably not the best word in that case). I don't want to ruin her, I will only end up shelling out more money, well the club will.