Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
Tides planner with update works well.
Old 15 January 2014, 16:31   #23

Town: liverpool
Make: tohatsu6.1 one desig
Length: 6m +
Engine: mariner 125hp
Thanks for all the suggestions.Will check them all out when i figure out my new phone .

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Rib.net
Old 15 January 2014, 20:11   #24

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Which apps are just for the next few days, and which allow you to plan ahead. I'd want to be able to plan a trip - or understand the possibilities weeks ahead - especially for Looe

I know my immediate area & have the tables. What I don't have is tide times from anywhere further afield I might want to visit one day/ make a w/e of - e.g Fal, Plymouth, Solent etc...

Are there any free apps for this, or are you into the realms of buying one. Which are free, which not?
Old 15 January 2014, 20:14   #25

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Which apps are just for the next few days, and which allow you to plan ahead. I'd want to be able to plan a trip - or understand the possibilities weeks ahead - especially for Looe I know my immediate area & have the tables. What I don't have is tide times from anywhere further afield I might want to visit one day/ make a w/e of - e.g Fal, Plymouth, Solent etc... Are there any free apps for this, or are you into the realms of buying one. Which are free, which not?
The upgrade for tides planer is a couple of quid and allows you to check a year in advance.
Old 15 January 2014, 20:27   #26

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Flyer View Post
The upgrade for tides planer is a couple of quid and allows you to check a year in advance.
Old 15 January 2014, 22:25   #27

Length: no boat
RIBase
To conclude - bear in mind Tides Planner is the app from Tucabo - they are the developers (and the best). By paying the small premium you can get tides throughout Europe and a host of info. Certainly worth paying for. Very good for secondary ports where normally you would have to make a calculation with drawings on graphs etc. My big boat draws 3m and lives on a mooring in Beaulieu. The entrance is 0.9m chart datum and the river is a secondary port. Normally I would have to look at tide tables and make several calculations to see when I could get in and out the river. With the app I can see immediately what the depth is at the entrance - and I can build in my 3m offset to see the exact moment I can get in/out the river. After 2 yrs using the app it is pretty exact - other than the odd anomaly of high wind / unusual pressure. Like all things (eg chart plotters) these things are only a guide to be used with caution due to such anomalies - but saying that they are pretty accurate.
Old 16 January 2014, 07:57   #28

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
To conclude - bear in mind Tides Planner is the app from Tucabo - they are the developers (and the best). By paying the small premium you can get tides throughout Europe and a host of info. Certainly worth paying for. Very good for secondary ports where normally you would have to make a calculation with drawings on graphs etc. My big boat draws 3m and lives on a mooring in Beaulieu. The entrance is 0.9m chart datum and the river is a secondary port. Normally I would have to look at tide tables and make several calculations to see when I could get in and out the river. With the app I can see immediately what the depth is at the entrance - and I can build in my 3m offset to see the exact moment I can get in/out the river. After 2 yrs using the app it is pretty exact - other than the odd anomaly of high wind / unusual pressure. Like all things (eg chart plotters) these things are only a guide to be used with caution due to such anomalies - but saying that they are pretty accurate.
I'm moving my larger boat to the Beaulieu river in March. Where in the entrance is the shallowest bit ? I tent to stick exactly on the leading line (port hand pole and corner of lepe house) when entering and leaving.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2014, 11:19   #29

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
I'm moving my larger boat to the Beaulieu river in March. Where in the entrance is the shallowest bit ? I tent to stick exactly on the leading line (port hand pole and corner of lepe house) when entering and leaving.
Chris - the leading lights are the best route in. At night the line up is white and if you drift left or right off line a red or green will appear. As a wider gauge there is a yellow racing mark on the line and you can line up as a back marker East Lepe buoy (red).You should always see a minimum depth of 0.9m at the lowest springtides but be wary of wave heights which may drop below that. There is a drying patch on the charts close (just south east) to the red Beaulieu Dolphin (Red). I have never seen that patch but one has to assume it is there. If you have the tide app I have found it to be very accurate in most conditions. I find if I add 1.6m to any relevant tide height for the day I can usually get with 3m draft. It is very rare I cannot get in on a neap tide low water.
Old 18 January 2014, 13:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
Just followed the link to download the android app - it's not available for download yet!
Old 18 January 2014, 13:16   #31

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Just followed the link to download the android app - it's not available for download yet!
You are absolutely right!! What twats! In words of summary "I don't believe it ......."
Old 18 January 2014, 13:18   #32

visitmyharbour.com now has annual - not just 7 day - tide tables on its website Wasn't aware of that. Sorted.