Old 03 October 2011, 17:04   #21

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza2011 View Post
Mines on the left.
And Inever start it up while its on the trailer. like to get it in the water first.
make sure it still floats :-)
So, when it doesn't start, you then have to recover it onto the trailer, while people are waiting to use the slipway.

One of my pet hates - people arsing about on slipways, while others are waiting to launch/recover.
Old 03 October 2011, 17:17   #22

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
although I am ambidextrous ..

I was asked this the other day. Do I prefer white sugar or brown sugar ? Overall I'd go for white, but I'm happy to be ambi-dextrose.

I'm a left handed throttle man, 'cos your right hand's for drinking beer
Old 03 October 2011, 17:23   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post

So you're starting and revving prior to removing the boat from the trailer without getting into the boat?
Yes, to make sure the motor starts and runs ok, before launching. Some motors need a little bit of throttle to get them going. Integral control boxes have the keyswitch/choke within the unit, so the same principle applies in having the convenience of the control box on the right, even if no throttle is needed on start-up.

Quote:
Is the boat deep enough to get water to the leg? If so, how do keep yourself from having to wade in?
Yes it is. The skeg just clears the ground when the motor is fully down, so when trimmed up, there's plenty of clearance between the skeg & the slipway. The slipways I use are flat-surfaced, as opposed to a concave shaped.

I suppose I could climb over the trailer frame and stand on the mudguard, if I was wearing my Sunday best shoes & trousers, but prefer to use flip flops & shorts. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to sea water.

Quote:
Or are you doing this from the pier?
No, my arm's not long enough.
Old 03 October 2011, 17:36   #24

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
So, when it doesn't start, you then have to recover it onto the trailer, while people are waiting to use the slipway.
...and why shouldn't it start? Oops! sorry, just noticed you have an Opti
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2011, 18:06   #25

Town: Stonehaven
Make: Avon Sea Rider 5.4
Engine: 50Hp Mercury 4' EFI
I do the same, float the boat on the trailer, and start the engine, let it warm up for 5 mins then drive off trailer.
Note: you need a good steep slipway or a 4x4 and need to be prepared to get your legs wet.
Old 03 October 2011, 18:20   #26

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
I am left handed. ( I am writing with my "right" hand).
Now my boat has "right: hand throttle.
I think is better to have my stronger hand on wheel, and the weaker on throtle . All that in rough conditions because on good is not important!
Old 03 October 2011, 20:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
...and why shouldn't it start? Oops! sorry, just noticed you have an Opti
I've got an Ermintrood too
Old 03 October 2011, 20:54   #28

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
One of my pet hates - people arsing about on slipways, while others are waiting to launch/recover.
oooooo yeah .... oooooooooooh yeah

Now ... I knew this thread was gonna cause problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
???? I assume you have an "aftermarket" console mount throttle? If you swap the Lever on a 703 (or any other "standard" remotes box) Form LH to RH operation the switch will always be on the outside, so you just change from left to right pinkie?
NO .. I believe some throttles dont have (or didnt when I had some of mine fitted) an LH option so you had to use the same throttle on either side of the dash ... currently my yam throttle its LHS side console mount with trim on the lhs of the lever BUT I WANT MY THUMB ON THE TRIM and I'm not fussy which one ........ has no one worked out that all humans have thumbs on the inside ?

Cue Ribnet punters who like to trim with pinkies
Old 04 October 2011, 08:30   #29

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
So, when it doesn't start, you then have to recover it onto the trailer, while people are waiting to use the slipway. :
As it;s onyl recently I've had the luxury of an up / down / hold it at a silly angle but enough to get the prop in the water switch, I usually just punt off, & either use the long line or oar so the crew can haul / paddle / punt it across to the pontoon while I dispose of the car. If there's no pontoon, there usually isn't a queue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
NO .. I believe some throttles dont have (or didnt when I had some of mine fitted) an LH option so you had to use the same throttle on either side of the dash ... currently my yam throttle its LHS side console mount with trim on the lhs of the lever BUT I WANT MY THUMB ON THE TRIM and I'm not fussy which one ........ has no one worked out that all humans have thumbs on the inside ?
Yep, that's been bugging me for years. The pain is that the lever always has to face out, (on the 703 anyway) so regardless of LH or RH operation, your switch is always at the wrong side of your hand......

Having said that, I have fitted my controls angled so that usually it's more comfortable / ergonomic to hold the top of the stick rather than the "T" at the top, so puts my thumb closer to the right place..... **** all use doing that with twins tho'!

Interestingly someone (teleflex?) puts a "toggle" switch on theirs which is remarkably easy to use with pinkie. It's on a friend's boat, and can't remmeber the make of the levers.
Old 04 October 2011, 14:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

Yep, that's been bugging me for years. The pain is that the lever always has to face out, (on the 703 anyway) so regardless of LH or RH operation, your switch is always at the wrong side of your hand......
The control box levers are designed to be used in the ardbote environment, where a panel to the right side of the driver (on a RHD boat) is used to mount the control box. The PTT switch can then be worked comfortably by the user's thumb.

You can get around this with many modern control boxes (including the Yam 703) by mounting the box on the RHS of the console with the lever on the LHS of the box and use spacers on the 3 mounting bolts between the control box and the console to create a gap between the console and the lever. It looks a bit daft, but works well. [The above principle can of course be reversed for those who prefer the control box on the LHS of the console]
Old 05 October 2011, 08:41   #31

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Yeah, the only down side to that is to clear the top of the "T" and your thumb, it needs to be so far out that the box is sat over the toobs! (Ok, slight exaggeration , but still enough to put me off doing it.)

I wonder what proportion of levers made end up on Jockey consoles?