Old 25 April 2010, 19:40   #1

Make: Avon
Length: no boat
Engine: Honda
Throttle position on console

I have just bought a rib with a centre console that has a left hand throttle unit mounted on the right hand side of the console. The bracket used to mount it on the right is not very pretty and I'm considering mouting it on the left where it will look a lot better. I was just wondering why most throttes are mounted on the right. Is it better to steer with your left and control throttle with your right if you are right handed? Thanks, chris
Old 25 April 2010, 20:02   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Mines on the left side and I can control it fine.
Most are probably on the right so you can control the trim and tilt with your thumb?
Old 25 April 2010, 20:04   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
You're right that most boats do seam to be set up with the throttle on the Right.

It comes down to personal chioce, and what feels comfortable to you.
I think if you have the choice when specifying, building, or re-building a boat it should be something to consider carefully, unfortunately some don't and end up with an awkward driving position.

Although I'm right handed, I prefer to steer with my right hand and throttle with my left, so on my double console with steering on the Starboard side I changed from a control unit mounted on the starboard outer edge of the console to a top mounted one in the middle.

Nasher.
Old 25 April 2010, 20:11   #4

Town: Douglas
Many boats are rigged with the steering position to starboard, which will put the console mounted control on the left, or if a side mounted control, it will be on the right!!!
What I am saying is it doesn't really matter, the same way as we adjust to the LHD hire car on holiday we can cope with left or right hand steering.
The only advice I would give when locating the control box is to ensure it is positioned fairly close to the wheel so there is no stretching to operate it when it is in the forward gear full throttle position. Additionally, ensure full movement in forward and reverse, and finally, make sure you can rest your hand/wrist on a firm surface whilst holding the control in forward gear. This makes driving in the lumpy stuff much easier.
Old 26 April 2010, 09:27   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
If I'm reading this right, you have an ugly bit of bracketry to hold your throttle on the RHS of your console?

The levers on the side mount boxes will unbolt and fit on either side of the box. The only result is if you do it that way, (move the lever for RHS of jockey mount) you see the "back" of the body of the remotes, whioch is very slightly less aesthetic than the "front", but by the sounds of things will be marginally neater than what you have at the moment.

As Chewy says, the only real pain is by fitting it "conventionally" is that the trim switch is on the "wrong" side for thumb operation.
Old 26 April 2010, 10:26   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Mine had a right hand throttle mounted on the left side of the console, as you say not a very pretty arrangement but I like left handed throttle.

One thing I did like about it was that the trim switch fell naturally under the thumb rather than being on the 'wrong' side as with a 'nomal' installation. Guess I will get used to that little annoyance, the new boat is having a LH throttle.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2010, 12:28   #7

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I would have liked my throttle on the right but mounted a hatch before measuring!
Having it on the left is no great hardship and I got use to it straightaway, I don't have PTT so thats not an issue for me.
Old 26 April 2010, 15:50   #8

Make: Avon
Engine: Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
If I'm reading this right, you have an ugly bit of bracketry to hold your throttle on the RHS of your console?

The levers on the side mount boxes will unbolt and fit on either side of the box. The only result is if you do it that way, (move the lever for RHS of jockey mount) you see the "back" of the body of the remotes, whioch is very slightly less aesthetic than the "front", but by the sounds of things will be marginally neater than what you have at the moment.

As Chewy says, the only real pain is by fitting it "conventionally" is that the trim switch is on the "wrong" side for thumb operation.
Yes that's right - I was worried someone on here might say that mounting it on the left was bad news and I'd de-value my rib in someway by swapping the side but now it seems it's just down to preference and practicality, I think I'll probably do it. The only problem I have now is the gear and throttle cables are getting close to their movement limits (length) when I try the outboard on full lock and the throttle is held in place on the left. If I could route them through the console (which is a outhill jc12t) I will get an extra 10-15cm or so.

It's this, or I get 3 small stainless brackets made to mount the throttle on the right keeping it off the console the right distance - as you say, I then have a nasty looking plastic backing plate exposed. A right handed throttle is over £300!!

Thanks for all the replies
Old 26 April 2010, 19:08   #9

Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
The majority of RIBS I use & have used have LH mounted throttles, and it's what I prefer - but it doesnt make much difference as people have said, it depends on what you're used to and whats comfortable.
Old 26 April 2010, 19:19   #10

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I like the controls on the right side and I suppose this is due to driving hardboats in a previous life which were always rigged with controls on that side.
I've always thought that RIB riggers put the control box on the port hand side of jockey consoles 'cos they couldn't be arsed with re-configuring the throttle lever on the opposite side of the control box.