Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 May 2006, 18:45   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
Johnson used to make them too.
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 19:02   #12
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Yamaha still does:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard..._jet_2006.aspx

FWIW, that E-tec thingie looks to be nothing more than a shrouded prop. Not really a jet.

jky
__________________

__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 19:09   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Yep-was apparently done for the US forces so they didn't chop themselves to bits.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 20:39   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Maybe for certain safety boat apps they should use a guard. Not a good idea to make it compulsory though - then ALL safety boats would need them and the amount of power lost in surf etc would be dangerous - which is why the RNLI don't use them.
Every RNLI surf rescue craft Ive ever seen has had a prop guard - who says they don't use them.

Compulsory prop guards for all rescue craft is definitely the way to go.

Although I pull along side people in the water 10s of times a day when wakeboarding - not really any different except the person you are collecting is usually bright and alert which may not be the case in a rescue.

EDIT - i even found a link http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/bo...ipment/arancia

EDIT2 - come to think of it ZapCats have compulsory prop guards too when racing - don't think anyone is going to accuse them of being "dangerously" under powered in surf as a result either
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 21:57   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Every RNLI surf rescue craft Ive ever seen has had a prop guard - who says they don't use them.

Compulsory prop guards for all rescue craft is definitely the way to go.

Although I pull along side people in the water 10s of times a day when wakeboarding - not really any different except the person you are collecting is usually bright and alert which may not be the case in a rescue.

EDIT - i even found a link http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/bo...ipment/arancia

EDIT2 - come to think of it ZapCats have compulsory prop guards too when racing - don't think anyone is going to accuse them of being "dangerously" under powered in surf as a result either

Very true - just commenting on what some experts had to say. Why don't the RNLI fit them to inshore boats? And the SA surf rescue team featured in the latest RIB mag don't either.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2006, 03:23   #16
Now back to being Mollers!
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
A prop is a prop no matter what boat it's fitted to.

Maybe for certain safety boat apps they should use a guard. Not a good idea to make it compulsory though - then ALL safety boats would need them and the amount of power lost in surf etc would be dangerous - which is why the RNLI don't use them.
Go googling for 'cort nozzle' Codders, read and ingest.
__________________
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2006, 06:29   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Weymouth
Boat name: Splitz
Make: Ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235015866
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 78
RYA Policy Was quite surprised at reading that, always thought they should be compulsory. There was a mention in the YBW forum that getting whacked by a prop, throws the chopped leg clear but getting macerated between a prop & guard isn't so good.

Terrible news.
__________________
steedthrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2006, 08:13   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
Go googling for 'cort nozzle' Codders, read and ingest.
I don't need to "google" to know what a KORT nozzle is - I have had rides on enough tugs fitted with them to know what they are capable of.

Anyway what has a Kort nozzle got to do with it? At low speeds they increase thrust hence their use on tugs but ovber a certain speed their drag outweighs the benefits - hence you don't see many high speed craft fitted with them!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2006, 10:12   #19
Now back to being Mollers!
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I don't need to "google" to know what a KORT nozzle is - I have had rides on enough tugs fitted with them to know what they are capable of.

Anyway what has a Kort nozzle got to do with it? At low speeds they increase thrust hence their use on tugs but ovber a certain speed their drag outweighs the benefits - hence you don't see many high speed craft fitted with them!!!
... and I was a part of a fabricating team that built CORT NOZZLES!!!!
__________________
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2006, 10:23   #20
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
... and I was a part of a fabricating team that built CORT NOZZLES!!!!
Put your hand bag away
__________________

__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.