Click Here to Login

Old 03 July 2019, 17:41   #41

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
mercury 365 & frib 275 in good conditions 2019

Jeff Ive seen this video before. It cracks me up looking at that tiny boat slipped under that guys butt. Here is a pic of my daughter in a similer setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4th boat3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	129937  
Old 03 July 2019, 18:07   #42

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
For what it is worth I still think the Honwave T38 is the one to go for. I use mine with a Tohat 9.8 2 Stroke, Merc 15 HP 2 Stroke and Merc 20 hp 4 stroke all propel the boat very well. It feels a very safe boat and is quick to inflate with my much loved Itiwit electric pumps. If you get one from a good supplier if you do have issues they will exchange it. Mine bought last season was good and I aim to exactly the same think Piky is thinking of ie travel with it
Old 03 July 2019, 18:26   #43

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
Jeff Ive seen this video before. It cracks me up looking at that tiny boat slipped under that guys butt. Here is a pic of my daughter in a similer setup
Just for info Parick.. that tiny boat has been to more exposed places off the west of Scotland than many larger SIBs and smaller RIBs. In fact it has almost completed the full coast from the Solway Firth to Cape Wrath. It is regularly out in seas that would scare many boats and it has even been “attacked” by around 50 common dolphins and still plods along.. which proves..its not what you got ..its what you do with it that counts.

Its certainly not a kiddies toy ...but I appreciate you may feel vulnerable in such a craft as everyone has different comfort zones and seaskills.
Old 03 July 2019, 18:49   #44

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Pagick it's great to have a bit of crack I'm sure Donny won't mind but seriously before this trip I'd never seen an frib in the flesh I watch all his trips on video but when you see the boat perform its impressive with the 6hp yam and well worth adding to this thread it's even more impressive when he throws it on his back walks up the beach and within minuets he's sat on his tail gate drinking tea while your still packing away.
Old 03 July 2019, 19:16   #45

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
So am I correct in thinking that this is the commercial arm of Zodiac? I can’t see any obvious difference in the specs apart from the colour & names, and presumably the price. They are the same material & welded construction as the Futuras etc. Speaking of which, are there any Hypalon SIBs out there or are they all PVC?

Aforementioned Zapcats and Surfcats / GRX420s can all be had or are available with Hypalon options
Old 03 July 2019, 19:22   #46

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Loving the VW camper!

If it were me, then yes, definitely 2 stroke. These things are bullet proof if looked after. No need to worry about wet sumps, timing belt, fuel injection.

Now I may go against the consensus here, but HD aluminium floor as in Zodiac gives the boat rigidity. I started with a Zodiac MKIIC GT 12'6" back in the mid 80s. Paired with a Yamaha 25hp 2 cylinder 2 stroke. We did some rough voyages in it and it gives you a feeling of a degree of security, especially in the Atlantic off the west coast of Scotland. 25hp is the maximum I'd look for. I'm no youngster, but could still manoeuvre a short shaft onto the transom. Watch out on new Zodiacs, as they have oversized tubes and moved to long shaft outboard.

This might be more than you're looking for, as would come in two bags, one for the boat, and the other for the floorboards (aluminium floors aren't light)!
Old 03 July 2019, 19:39   #47

Hi Jeff..you are correct..I certainly dont mind a bit of crack with anyone when on level terms.

I do tend to keep away from threads that recommend “Which SIB”” as I have been on many long multi day adventures with all the inflatable brands and also had shots in them myself. From my experience and hopefully others should be able to see from the videos.. …

NO sib that I have had the pleasure to be with struggles in CAT C conditions ..example 2m high waves and winds to F5. However different skippers definitely do. So in my opinion.. pick which boat shape suits / budget suits.

I was away last week with a couple almost 60 years old and their SIB was a Honwave 3.5 ali floor. The woman assembled it while I blethered with her man. It took her around one minute to put the floor in ..and a total of 20 mins for it to be blown up and on the water. She had to use the foot pump or it would have been as quick as any airfloor. The boat was assembled and taken apart 4 times over 6 days and they did not complain..curse or skin knuckles.

Its true I keep my floored SIB on a trailer..but its also true that the majority of airfloor users I know..also keep their boat on a trailer. Its the engine weight that kills portable boats for some.

Just some useless info from me
Old 03 July 2019, 20:41   #48
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
The woman assembled it while I blethered with her man. It took her around one minute to put the floor in ..and a total of 20 mins for it to be blown up and on the water. She had to use the foot pump or it would have been as quick as any airfloor.
That kinda reads like a RIBnet Classified. Part of me wanted her to know I had an Electric Pump....
Old 03 July 2019, 21:34   #49

I can see where you are coming from Wilk ..and as I perfect gentleman I would have offer her an electric pump or even a manual one if she wanted it.

However I also use a foot pump when away from home for extended periods..we dont have charging facilities on our wee outboards ..so battery stuff is limited to charging our cameras and phones. Besides ..Im too tight to spend £100+ on a Bravo pump. If anyone said to me.. “I will blow your boat up for £100 quid”.I would tell them where to go.

I was very impressed with her though..she helped her husband carry the 15HP Tohatsu four stroke EFI across the beach and between the three of us we lifted the 3.5m floored SIB without OB attached , across 40 meters of rocky beach. They found transom wheels are totally useless on many Scottish shores.

Now ... If I had met a fit healthy wummin like that when I was younger..I might have considered staying married.
Old 03 July 2019, 21:50   #50

Length: 6m +
The only issue I had from a lot of time sat on a SIB was a twisted back - great fun for short trips to beach etc - but longer spells sat at 90deg did cause issues especially if you are used to a RIB.
Only my opinion and my impact, I am sure there are plenty on here without any issues - there is also the option to switch sides.
Old 03 July 2019, 23:17   #51

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
Just for info Parick.. that tiny boat has been to more exposed places off the west of Scotland than many larger SIBs and smaller RIBs. In fact it has almost completed the full coast from the Solway Firth to Cape Wrath. It is regularly out in seas that would scare many boats and it has even been “attacked” by around 50 common dolphins and still plods along.. which proves..its not what you got ..its what you do with it that counts.

Its certainly not a kiddies toy ...but I appreciate you may feel vulnerable in such a craft as everyone has different comfort zones and seaskills.
I Hope you didn't take offence. None ment. I've seen and loved your videos with your boat, voice and country but I never noticed just how a... compact... a setup your videoing from, impressive.
Old 04 July 2019, 05:32   #52

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA1000 View Post
The only issue I had from a lot of time sat on a SIB was a twisted back - great fun for short trips to beach etc - but longer spells sat at 90deg did cause issues especially if you are used to a RIB.
Only my opinion and my impact, I am sure there are plenty on here without any issues - there is also the option to switch sides.
Did you have a tiller extension
Old 04 July 2019, 07:56   #53

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

I do tend to keep away from threads that recommend “Which SIB”

I usually do the same with the What Rib threads unless I’ve direct knowledge of the RIB in question, however now I’m on the other side of the fence it is a tad bewildering [emoji849]. I know Sod all about SIBs & given the different configurations available, the options are overwhelming. Too much choice.

Quote:

NO sib that I have had the pleasure to be with struggles in CAT C conditions ..example 2m high waves and winds to F5. However different skippers definitely do. So in my opinion.. pick which boat shape suits / budget suits.

Sound advice as usual Donny[emoji106] as long as I don’t drop on a lemon[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2019, 09:04   #54

RIBase
i'll echo what gurnard has said nearly all SIBS will easily tackle cat 2 seas with much the same ride introduce a driver is when it goes tits up.
for whats its worth and it's only my opinion i like the heavy duty boat with an ali floor why there's still rigidity in the boat if the keel goes down ive never been in an air floor boat when its flat 20 miles from port in a challenging sea.having said that the blow & go is attractive. mid way between the two which i recently looked at secondhand is the avon ERB 380 a slatted floor boat that rolls up by all accounts they flex a bit which i guess is the compromise, a new floor HP or ALI around £1000 although the boat was £6500 new takes a 25 HP for info.
dave's dilemma is nothing boat related can go in the VW van it's a home end of so its trailer or tow bar box which is limited the last one i looked at was 100kg rated. the trailer senario box trailer all the kit in water side set up, now ive done this with a zodiac 310 zoom & 15 hp with launch wheels its ok on a decent beach or slip after that soft stuff a pain in the arse on your own well at 60 then it was when you're young you can pick the bloody thing up and carry it in. or you can set the trailer up so once the boat is set up it sits on a rack we do this at work so we travel between sites with one set up see pic.
which then lends itself to the ali/ wood floor as an option i think humber still use wood floors in their SIBS after all these years too. i would also consider if the tow ball box dosnt hold the weight a small motor cycle trailer converted would [a retirement project].
and finally the ladies in our lives get less adventurous as they get older and there's the first stumbling block to go from 5m plus RIB to a bag of wind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TRAILER WITH ROOF RACK.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	129945  
Old 04 July 2019, 09:21   #55

RIBase
box

land rover box

just thought there is a fold down transom rib that packs down like a surfboard could go on a roof rack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BOX ON BACK OF LANDROVER.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	129946  
Old 04 July 2019, 09:28   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I want to be able to beach whatever I end up with, without fretting about the hull.

PVC bottom SIBs are far tougher than some may give credit PD. Even my heavy 4.3m sib is occasionally hauled into the water over rocks or gravel when Im caught out by a tide falling faster than I expected. They are regularly left to dry out overnight on rocky shores and smallish waves bouncing them about until they are high and dry. I have yet to get a hole through the floor..they have some scores but do not leak. My F Rib is the same..its suffers a lot of punishment and its F Glass bottom is a mess to look at but the gel is still solid. Im not one for looks..I bought it to use it

My preference is for solid floors .. simply because there is a decent bilge space under the floor so my feet stay dry. Airfloors tend to have water slopping around in the bottom..even clambering in and out the boat a few times can bring a fair amount of water in as it drips of clothes / shoes etc.
I do curse taking the floor out the Quicksilver at the end of the year as I get skinned knuckles etc..but that is because the ali floor parts stick together as the parts oxidise and fill with sand and salt.. Every day set up does not allow time for the parts to stick together so IMO its relatively easy.

My normal boating mate prefers the airfloors as he has a bad back..he finds the squidgy floor ride easier on his trapped nerve than his solid floored boat. He uses a small battery powered pump to keep the water out..he still has both the Honwave T38 airfloor and the Honwave 3.5 Ali floor. The Honwave t38 floor does move around constantly under your feet when underway in a chop ..but you get used to its ways too.

My advice is to ensure whatever boat you buy.. you can get it to the water easily. I know many say its no problem lifting a 40-50Kg outboard ..but I have never seen anyone carry them single handed across say 50m of rocky shore. What I suspect they mean is.. its possible to lift out a car and onto a transom. You will know the type of shores you will be going from ..so if its a carry across stones and boulders ..made sure you can carry the outfit or no use to you. Transom wheels are great for hard sand beaches and slips .. but not the average beach I go from.

The F Ribs are great boats..but there are cheaper alternatives if you dont need the folding aspect of the F Rib. They slam a bit in short close to gether “sea loch” waves but are fine in bigger and more rounded sea waves. I get as much fun at displacement speeds as I do on the plane..so don't get rattled about too much anyhoo.

I have had my 4.3m Quicksilver now for seven years and have no intention of changing it. I have had the F Rib for four years now and no intention of changing it either. Armed with those two boats..I need no other for my type of boating...and you have seen what that entails from the videos.

Take what you want from this as its only my experience .. and keep in mind Im really only interested in getting places in my boats ..not racing them or wave jumping etc.
Old 04 July 2019, 09:38   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
I Hope you didn't take offence. None ment. I've seen and loved your videos with your boat, voice and country but I never noticed just how a... compact... a setup your videoing from, impressive.
Hi again Pagick..no offence was taken ..and thanks for your kind words on the videos..I have some stunning footage from some of the bbest places in Scotland coming shortly..so stay tuned
Old 04 July 2019, 09:41   #58

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>NO sib that I have had the pleasure to be with struggles in CAT C conditions ..example 2m high waves and winds to F5. However different skippers definitely do. So in my opinion.. pick which boat shape suits / budget suits.

Yes and therein you have the reason why the correct choice is important. As Donny says they will all get you there as well as each other but for a non-trailed daily setup SIB for holiday leisure rather than expedition use the shoreside aspects and comfort/usability are important.

Donny's new to boating friends are unusual in getting on with an alloy floor SIB as a daily inflate. It's the folks with that SIB floor type that are most likely to move onto trailing. Yes I know loads of folks do so too with the Honwave T38 air floors to but I reckon that's more about them running 20hp motors and not having the patience to assemble.

I've owned that very T35 alloy floor Honwave. It weighs 66lbs more than my current SIB and that is a hell of a difference in so many of the daily setup situations. Taking Donny's situation of the three of them carrying it down a rocky beach... the holiday/leisure situation so often ends up with just two doing the manhandling then that's 80lbs each of a hard to carry shape. My SIB works out at 48lbs each which makes it massively easier. A T38 Honwave is still a big improvement at 58lbs each.

But if your holiday use was nearly always an inflate at the start of the week and leave it set up then the above disadvantages largely fade away and the T35 is a roomy and very stable SIB... albeit in my experience needing a bit more than 15hp to perform well. But if you like to move launch location several times during a week I'd caution an alloy floor.

If you seek the best performance in outright speed on flatish water for a given OB size then it has to be an Frib. For me forgetting any other aspects they are a non starter due to the sized & nature of the way they are folded up they take up almost double the boot space volume of the Aerotec. Of course if your box trailer was sized accordingly no problem.

If you see benefits in an air floor for your use I'd be super wary of any flat air floor/sausage keel models as these are the most likely to suffer flexy floors hence frustrating prop ventilation enough to spoil the whole experience.

Colour could be important to you if holidays are always in hot areas as dark SIBs heat up loads when out of the water meaning you might need to let them down over a beach lunch stop and pump up after.

Just a few thoughts!
Old 04 July 2019, 09:58   #59

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>PVC bottom SIBs are far tougher than some may give credit

Totally agree. I was cautious in my first period sibbing but have come to realise a PVC SIB within reason can be treated as GRP on beaches and slips... in fact pulling a bit onto shingle or a concrete slip can leave a less noticeable scuff on the SIB underside then the annoying mark you might find on GRP doing similar.

>>> Airfloors tend to have water slopping around in the bottom

Must clarify this. I think that observation is as you mostly see the Honwave T32/38 Donny. All the flat air floor/sausage keel models (that I'm not keen on) have space between air floor and outer skin just like an alloy floor. My Aerotec with its separate outer skin has a lesser volume of bilge but enough such that splashed in water has never risen above the floor. The Excel Volaire that interests me would have the Honwave problem though as its air floor is a one-piece bottom with no outer skin a far as I can see.
Old 04 July 2019, 10:00   #60

RIBase
build on these is as good as any interesting boat this one has HP floor with speed tubes can be bought in black/ orange
looks like the speed tube is located inside a sleeve so there's a drag on the beach skid without damage to tubes.

The TriMAX with 3D-V air floor is a total inflatable, high performance winner.

Tags
sib