Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 02 July 2019, 20:56   #21

Town: Oban
Make: Honwave T38
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp
I’ve got a T38 ie2. Got it from Ely boats, Sad to hear of their demise, however the first one delivered was one of the bad ones, the hull was extremely out of shape, but give them credit they swapped it no issues,
The one I have is superb and handles anything I have been in no problems
I run it with a Suzuki Df9.9 converted to 15hp, with a solas stainless prop, it gets on really well, 21.7 knots on gps, was out on loch Etive last week with a mate in his T38 with a Honda BF20 and he only just had the edge on my set up,

Get a good T38 and they are superb, very very capable
Old 02 July 2019, 23:09   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
PD - any chance you could fit it in the tow vehicle and avoid the trailer all together? That would not only save ferry fares but make the journey, parking etc less hassle.
Old 03 July 2019, 06:27   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
PD - any chance you could fit it in the tow vehicle and avoid the trailer all together? That would not only save ferry fares but make the journey, parking etc less hassle.

In an ideal world[emoji106] however we’re in a VW camper & space is at a premium. There’s no way we’d get the SIB in & be able to comfortably live in the van. The plus side is that a small trailer will give us additional storage space for “van stuff”. Every nook & cranny in the van is currently filled with Alentejo, Verdejo, Dao, Ribera del Duero, Rioja. You get the picture [emoji6] I also don’t want to be carrying fuel in the van if poss.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2019, 06:30   #24

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Jeff Stevens posted a link a few months ago to a new (I think) range of zodiacs. His go to dealer sells them, see if he can get the link, not cheap but look good.
Old 03 July 2019, 06:49   #25

https://www.aka-marine.com
Old 03 July 2019, 07:32   #26
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
In an ideal world[emoji106] however we’re in a VW camper & space is at a premium. There’s no way we’d get the SIB in & be able to comfortably live in the van. The plus side is that a small trailer will give us additional storage space for “van stuff”.
The solution is obvious - you need a new van. I do enjoy a camper van build thread. Let me know when you start it and I’ll sticky it!

Alternatively have you considered reducing the number of people going on these trips ;-).
Quote:
Every nook & cranny in the van is currently filled with Alentejo, Verdejo, Dao, Ribera del Duero, Rioja. You get the picture [emoji6] I also don’t want to be carrying fuel in the van if poss.
Sounds like the van is already full of fuel!
Old 03 July 2019, 07:39   #27
RIBnet admin team

In slightly more seriousness - have you considered sea kayaks? (Assuming you have room on the roof). It’s a totally different experience - but that means you aren’t comparing the two so much. The SIB will never give you the ride or performance that Black Pig does. It will get into similar waters to a sea kakak without the physical effort and with less technical skill.
Old 03 July 2019, 08:28   #28

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Jeff Stevens posted a link a few months ago to a new (I think) range of zodiacs. His go to dealer sells them, see if he can get the link, not cheap but look good.
your right Craig the reason ive not promoted them is the £5000 + price tag and essentially their zodiac my go to boat if i were buying today would be the futura but as dave says he dosnt want to buy big then take a hit if it doesn't suit the family etc. the trailer will be the key for him if he sets it right he could even have the boat inflated on top of bars for short journeys so hes a lot to think about.
Old 03 July 2019, 08:44   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>no way we’d get the SIB in & be able to comfortably live in the van.

Agree. I posted this pic the other week but it's our Mondeo estate which are known to be roomy. This is just the SIB, outboard, fuel tank and gear needed to use it on holiday. The seats aren't folded so then our clothes and other holiday luggage is on the back seats.

The SIB and gear takes up a cube 1.2m x 1.0m x 0.9m.. and we're really good at doing a tight pack.

Any thoughts on the SIB choices mentioned so far PD?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fully packed outfit.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	129935  
Old 03 July 2019, 09:01   #30

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>no way we’d get the SIB in & be able to comfortably live in the van.

Agree. I posted this pic the other week but it's our Mondeo estate which are known to be roomy. This is just the SIB, outboard, fuel tank and gear needed to use it on holiday. The seats aren't folded so then our clothes and other holiday luggage is on the back seats.

The SIB and gear takes up a cube 1.2m x 1.0m x 0.9m.. and we're really good at doing a tight pack.

You need a bigger Car!
Or a Tow Bar!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2019, 10:14   #31

Well yes I sort of know what you mean. We used to tow GRP craft prior to sibbing but I hate towing for so may reasons... I'd only return to it if it becomes a problem to manhandle SIB and OB before I want to give up.

Re the car frankly the only worthwhile step up in size from a Mondeo estate is a van... and we do talk of a day van now and again. I've been early retired for some years and Mrs F has just two years to go. When that time comes our vehicle needs will change losing her commute and both being home based so we'll decide at that time.
Old 03 July 2019, 12:08   #32

RIBase
Quote:
The solution is obvious - you need a new van. I do enjoy a camper van build thread. Let me know when you start it and I’ll sticky it!

Alternatively have you considered reducing the number of people going on these trips ;-).

Sounds like the van is already full of fuel!

The van’s already built[emoji106] had it 2 years now, just clocked up 25000 miles, all holiday miles[emoji12]. This retirement malarkey appears to be all it’s cracked up to be[emoji485][emoji482][emoji6]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6782.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	129936
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 03 July 2019, 12:49   #33

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

The Takacat looks interesting but tbh after seeing the exploits of @Roflhat & his mates, I’d assumed that that style of craft was for speed freak nutters[emoji1](& I mean that in the nicest possible way) it hadn’t occurred to me that they might suit a pair of 50 somethings, one of whom has a dodgy back[emoji849]. Kayak, Hmmmm, can’t see SWMBO being enamoured about that, considering she’s a tad “cautious” even in the RIB.
Old 03 July 2019, 12:54   #34
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
it hadn’t occurred to me that they might suit a pair of 50 somethings,
do you frequent "the other place" - I believe Chris has one he uses for exactly the sort of thing I think you do...
Old 03 July 2019, 13:01   #35

RIBase
mercury 365 & frib 275 in good conditions 2019

Old 03 July 2019, 14:01   #36

>>>Takacat looks interesting...
>>>it hadn’t occurred to me that they might suit a pair of 50 somethings, one of whom has a dodgy back...

The Takacat is firmly aimed at the leisure market only being made up to 3.4m or 3.8m depending on model... and only advised 15hp or 20hp absolute max on the 3.8.... less on the 3.4m.

I'd have to go for the closed bow model which limits to a 3.4m... advised 10hp with max 15hp. That model only weighs 37kg... 8kg lighter than an already light Aerotec. Partner it with the Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke you mentioned a fancy for and it would be a super manageable outfit and seemingly remove the "will the air floor flex and spoil performance" question that is present with all normal non-Aerotec air floor SIBs.
Old 03 July 2019, 14:58   #37

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post

So am I correct in thinking that this is the commercial arm of Zodiac? I can’t see any obvious difference in the specs apart from the colour & names, and presumably the price. They are the same material & welded construction as the Futuras etc. Speaking of which, are there any Hypalon SIBs out there or are they all PVC?
Old 03 July 2019, 15:06   #38

RIBase
Quote:
do you frequent "the other place" - I believe Chris has one he uses for exactly the sort of thing I think you do...

I have been known to hang around the touchy feely side of town[emoji6] The problem there, is that everyone is so nice to each other, that no one is allowedwill stick their hand up & point out when something/body/idea/question is sh1t or stupid. The upshot being that you struggle to sort the wheat from the chaff, everything gets left on the table.
Old 03 July 2019, 15:26   #39

RIBase
Quote:
So am I correct in thinking that this is the commercial arm of Zodiac? I can’t see any obvious difference in the specs apart from the colour & names, and presumably the price. They are the same material & welded construction as the Futuras etc. Speaking of which, are there any Hypalon SIBs out there or are they all PVC?
what i put up when i saw it at CMS aimed at commercial hence the price is higher that the retail stuff i think

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/zodiac-sibs-80287.html
Old 03 July 2019, 17:31   #40

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
My MKll experience.

When I first read your post Pikey I thought (like RickW)about the Gemini GRX 420. In the US these boats and all cats are hard to find. I'm 3000 miles away from the only dealer so I haven't stopped by to see them. He says the Gemini is the best quality over Caesar but cost a bit more. Also Gemini backs the customer better if there is a problem, he says. Im not unhappy with my MKll but I am GRX curious.
I have a 2013 Zodiac MKll with a 2018 2 stroke 60 hp. At my power and speed 38MPH I still don't get much extra lift on the speed tubes but still the ride is a bit softer and it turns very, very sharp, doesn't slide, like a Cat. I always liked the slide on my other sibs.
My Zodiac w/Alu floor build time has gotten better, was 1hr 20 min for boat alone first 2 builds. Now about 30 min. First two times the floor alone was very tight and tricky due to unique transom shape. Now I inflate the speed tubes to make a flat surface to build upon. But with smaller HP air floor can be a real back saver since the awkward lifting and pushing around the floor sections. The floor alone is about 45 lbs. I believe my MKll Alu is "Air Floor Ready" so going Alu you can buy an air floor later if needed.
Good luck.

Tags
sib