Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardH
well Kathleen - I will tell you - 'tis raining here at present, bucketing down and has been for a few days now...

as for bravery - I have heard (from my girlfriend on many occasions) it is closely related to stupidity...

i am off on a two day trip on my Gemini (The Bounty) this w/e so will send back some pictures if all goes well..
Are you taking the g/f or would that be Mutiny on The Bounty ?????

The weather news has cheered me up enormously as it's pouring down in Pompey too...

It might be worth getting one of them experienced 8m peeps to have a go with you on YOUR RIB as it's a whole nother ball game on our size boat ...(loadsa fun too )

We look forward to the pictures.

missus
Old 30 September 2004, 23:10   #22

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
No, the 'fiance' as she now is... is back in New Zealand with the folks for a week, so its myself, an irishman and a scotsman (there is a joke begging to be brought out there somewhere) are going for a 'roughing it' w/e.

The other two boys (he flatters himself and them) are the first and second placers on last years UK 'Survivor' so i'm hoping it won't be as 'rough' as that...
Old 01 October 2004, 06:44   #23

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Definitely.... we would like to see the photos

Us
Old 01 October 2004, 06:50   #24

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athol
Hi Richard

Actualy the positioning of the motors is quite controversial and not at all typical of cats ) Idealy one would want the motors mounted higher as well but that would require the use of cleaver props ( out of my budget range).

I hope to get out this weekend lets hope the weather plays ball

Hi Athol

So does the position of the engines effect the handling and running characteristics of the twin hulls, we borrowed a zap cat from a friend a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how the hulls stuck to the sea like glue in really tight turns, does your cat behave the same way ?

Not sure if i'll be out this weekend as i'm awaiting a new engine to be fitted on my boat, i was hoping it would be ready by now and i could run it in over this weekend but it seems to have gone missing somewhere between Soton and Kent.

Next time the essex and kent ribnutters get together i'll let you know and maybe we can meet up somewhere.

Richard
Old 03 October 2004, 12:18   #25

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Stormy - sorry that there some frivorlous ansers from the some Brits. I suppose its living on an island that does it.

I would also like to know "why a rib flips" - because when you examine a rib
in detail - you will see that it must be the last thing that can happen. I can undrstand a flip happening by wave jumping- probably due to balance but a straight roll over is near impossible. I suppose there is a formula to use concerning boat lenghth/ wave height/frequency ect. I will be taking course in the UK shortly and will try and have some firm answers.

No sharks in your area??

Jonathan
Old 03 October 2004, 18:22   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Stormy - sorry that there some frivorlous ansers from the some Brits. I suppose its living on an island that does it.

I would also like to know "why a rib flips" - because when you examine a rib
in detail - you will see that it must be the last thing that can happen. I can undrstand a flip happening by wave jumping- probably due to balance but a straight roll over is near impossible. I suppose there is a formula to use concerning boat lenghth/ wave height/frequency ect. I will be taking course in the UK shortly and will try and have some firm answers.

No sharks in your area??

Jonathan
We do get sharks sometimes but the waters are so cold they are very sluggish - nothing to worry about!!!

From what I have seen many RIBS will flip vertically - I think one reason could be that most of the weight is towards the back - I think because of the fear of stuffing the bow people are paranoid and go to the other extreme.

With correct weight distribution and trim it shouldn't happen.

Look at these videos and you will see what I mean.

http://www.boomeranger.fi/images/ind...conditions.mpg

Right at the start the RIB almost stands on it's tail - all the time the bow is high in the air - never a hint of it stuffing.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/whitslb/capsize.htm

This time the conditions were really bad - again some extra weight at the bow may have helped.

It is interesting to see that many rescue craft have the console further forward than leisure ribs - except Humber who also seem to put the console nearer the bow.
Old 05 October 2004, 12:35   #27

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
thnaks codparwn. Pretty moving stuff. what do you reckon the safe limit for a 9 meter boat? ?? assuming all variiables good ( experience,2 obs , enclosed cabin, weight about 2000 kgs empty- wave height that is , and speed?

jonathan
Old 05 October 2004, 16:20   #28

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
thnaks codparwn. Pretty moving stuff. what do you reckon the safe limit for a 9 meter boat? ?? assuming all variiables good ( experience,2 obs , enclosed cabin, weight about 2000 kgs empty- wave height that is , and speed?

jonathan
So many variables impossible to say - sometimes massive waves aren't a problem in deep water as they aren't breaking - much smaller waves in a confused sea or shallow water can be much more dangerous.

Also speed depends so much on conditions - I am not experienced with a RIB as mine hasn't come yet but done quite a bit of normal boating/sailing. There will be plenty of others here who can give you more first hand experience.

I suppose what ever you feel comfortable with is a good rule of thumb - the boats limits will probably be a lot higher than yours!!!
Old 06 October 2004, 09:37   #29

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Proper training and experience has no substitute - The video of the large military RIB is:

A - Going into the wind and waves where the tendancy will be for the bow to be pushed up.

B - Probably set up for carrying passengers on the jockey seats in front of the console

C - Probably has no bow tank

D - The driver may have had to much trim on, and he may have been able to keep the bow down better with more negative trim

If it was travelling downwind then the tendancy would be more for the bow to stuff into the back of the waves, although without the passengers in it would be very well set up!
All setups are a compromise between unloaded and loaded, upwind and downwind. Having a bowtank can make a big differance although it is a lot of trouble to go to for a leisure boat and takes up space which is why they are mainly for race boats only. Propellors can also make a big differance as some promote bow lift whilst others are either neutral or stern lifting.

Hope that helps a bit,

Cookee
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2004, 09:53   #30

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
E - The driver is probably a squaddie.... nuff said!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2004, 12:13   #31

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
We do get sharks sometimes but the waters are so cold they are very sluggish - nothing to worry about!!!

From what I have seen many RIBS will flip vertically - I think one reason could be that most of the weight is towards the back - I think because of the fear of stuffing the bow people are paranoid and go to the other extreme.

With correct weight distribution and trim it shouldn't happen.

Look at these videos and you will see what I mean.

http://www.boomeranger.fi/images/ind...conditions.mpg

Right at the start the RIB almost stands on it's tail - all the time the bow is high in the air - never a hint of it stuffing.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/whitslb/capsize.htm

This time the conditions were really bad - again some extra weight at the bow may have helped.

It is interesting to see that many rescue craft have the console further forward than leisure ribs - except Humber who also seem to put the console nearer the bow.
Can't see the problem

I wish i had broadband.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote