Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
How much did you charge him, Doug?

Old 12 January 2009, 20:55   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Bedajim, Bruce, and Tony;

The primary part of salvage law is that, prior to rendering assistance, there has to risk of loss to vessel, cargo, or crew. A simple tow for someone who is out of gas or has a broken motor does not qualify unless there is risk of loss (other than time.) If they're broken, and danger of washing onto shore with no way of halting their progress (if you want to call it that), that would qualify.

But, since we're on tow stories:

Last summer I was coming back in from a dive, and heard a call to the CG from a boat who was "a mile outside the harbor, and we're out of gas." The CG gave him the runaround, and said they'd call Vessel Assist (a commercial tow service.) Vessel Assist is located in Santa Cruz, a cool, what, 20, 25 miles north, which means the guy would have paid VA's fuel to Monterey, probably 6 or 8 bucks a gallon for whatever they delivered, and VA's return fuel; likely a 600 to 800 USD charge. So, I headed out, found the guy, and we set up a tow. Took maybe 15 minutes or so to get him into the harbor and tied up. A little later, I saw him trying to move to the fuel dock, so I retied to him and moved him there (all 50 feet or so.) The guy handed me a couple of bills, which I never looked at , but tucked in a convenient spot. A few minutes later, the guys grandson came back and said his grandad wanted me to have this, but he forgot. I declined, but the kid insisted. So I tucked that along with the other bills. They got fueled up and took off, and I waved goodbye as they motored to the other ramp. Only then did I look at the bills: 160 bucks. Not bad for 15 minutes (though if I knew it was that much, I really would have protested. I thought $20 would have been enough to cover my gas.)

jky

Old 12 January 2009, 23:11   #13

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
JKy,
think thats the differance between people who are totaly oblivious to the costs and those who know what the commercial tow services charge.
I often get waved down (must be the orange RIB and they think I am a coastie) and try and help the best I can. But you have to be a little reserved and not make it your full time job.
I had one boat who waved me over while I was fishing with my kids, as he got caught in the kelp.
I heaved a line and dragged him out and then towed him back to the dock.
He didn't even offer to buy my my kids an ice cream and although I wasn't looking for a profit, I was really expecting the gesture
So ,sounds as though you got an appreciative one who knows what you saved him
Good job! (both morally and financialy!!!! )
cheers dal
Old 13 January 2009, 03:37   #14

Thanks, Darryl (sp?)

I really wasn't expecting anything in return, but I figured maybe $20 or so would cover my time and gas (I would have been sitting around in the parking lot with a sandwich if I hadn't gone after him, anyway); it was quite a shock to see what he did volunteer. And yes, it is easily justifiable when you consider what the commercial guys bill would have been.

I regularly try to help people out; as someone above said, it helps with karma should I require assistance one day. So far it's been limited to six short tows (twice being a friend and fellow diver), a standby for a dead boat heading for the beach (CG arrived in about 15 minutes, just as I was going to drag them further out), a recovery of a couple of capsized kayakers (and subsequent return to the beach - four yakkers and 2 yaks), and a few searches for misplaced divers. Oh, and one instance like yours where I dragged a small inflatable out of kelp (which is interesting, as I often motor directly through kelp paddies without too much problem.)

jky
Old 13 January 2009, 04:06   #15

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: Gemini
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin V6 Suzuki DF250
So far,

have not had any abuse off any vessel that I've come across in need of aid.

In a way, would be interesting to experience it, just to get an obnoxious job under me belt.

What is the standings on agressive / abusive scenarios at sea? We are requested to inform the CG and they will then deem whether it is necessary to get additional resource either on scene or quayside.

Have heard a number of tales re drunken sailors getting a wallop off the people who have come to their assistance, after they'd been subjected to a tirade of verbal and physical abuse from the would be casualty.
Old 13 January 2009, 04:17   #16

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
had some matey in a tender stop me a couple of years back in the hamble said he'd run out of fuel, i gave him a line to tow him back to safety but he said he wanted to go to his boat first to unload some stuff, that didn't happen
Old 13 January 2009, 04:50   #17

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
As far as I' aware if you call the RNLI the crew can claim salvage as long as the cost to launch and the fuel used is covered and paid back to the RNLI.
I think this has happened only once and the crew were "no longer needed/welcome" on station after that.

A note I read on another site claimed the RNLI themselves could claim salvage but then obviously no one would call them.

http://lifeboatjohn.wordpress.com/2007/01/20/salvage/
Old 13 January 2009, 06:20   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
How much did you charge him, Doug?
There was no implication of any charge at any time. Apart fom the fact that like everyone I will someday need (and have had) a tow from another boat and think we should all help each other, I did have some other agendas.

Fot the students on board week 6ish of a 17 week fast track course to actually render assistance, set up an alongside tow for real and go through the radio procedures with the coast guard is a fantastic teaching oppurtunity and gets them in the right mind set fr theeir new career. By this stage they have discsused all these sorts of things in the classroom but never put them into practice.

Like most people I think a drink or some kind of thank you is appropriate, but thats their option. Ive lost count of how many tows I have given. The one described above was the only negative experience. Sometimes its just a 50m to the pontoon job and occasioanlly its in response to their Pan Pan or Mayday (downgraded to pan pan) call. There was one crew we picked up drifting N of Ryde Sounds, it was a family, first weekend out on their new (second hand coded charter managed) yacht. They had been to Bembridge and left there on the falling tide. The engine had faile N of Ryde.

They could have sailed but did not seem to grasp that and put out a mayday. There was a little confusion over their position but the Coastagurd asked them a series of question and moved them to Ch 67. At this point I offered the tow, CG agreed and left us to get on with it. We towed them into Haslar (not their home port but closest marina), they fed us all night and gave us copious amounts of alchol. The father made several runs back to the off license asissted by a couple of my crew. They were a really nice family. During the tow back in one of my crew, fixed their engine (impellor change and priming) for them, alongside the dock another one of my crew went up their mast and fixed their wind insruments, later in the eve Im pretty sure 1 of my crew disappeared for a while and fixed his daughter. He did not seem to mind.

In fact he and her joined us for a SRC course a month or so later.
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2009, 07:33   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
later in the eve Im pretty sure 1 of my crew disappeared for a while and fixed his daughter. He did not seem to mind.
Sounds like he was really grateful then ... and what a full service you provided Doug
Old 13 January 2009, 11:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent-Salted View Post
So far,
What is the standings on agressive / abusive scenarios at sea?
I've pulled up on a few disabled boats and offered assistance, only to be rather rudely told to shove off (and not in those words. Mostly drunken fishermen.) Those guys are left to their own devices.

They weren't in any imminent danger at the time (if there were, I think it would come down to a gut reaction as to whether assistance was forced on them or not.)

Salvage laws (note how I cleverly steered that back on topic ) were written to entice captains to come to the aid of those in need; not force them to.

jky