Old 01 April 2009, 14:11   #1

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
The photoboat....a very small rib.

http://thephotoboat.com/

I like this site very much, do you have any simular around the southcoast of uk.....?
Old 01 April 2009, 21:17   #2

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
link doesn't work?
Old 02 April 2009, 07:22   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim View Post
link doesn't work?
it does!

joakim- is it the rib or the photography service you are interested in?
Old 02 April 2009, 07:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
it does!

joakim- is it the rib or the photography service you are interested in?
I am a photographer... And i will move to uk this summer, and it is the combination i like. Maybe little bigger with a steeringwheel...
Old 02 April 2009, 09:09   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I'm no expert & am sure there are a couple of pro's on here but I'm not sure that size boat would cut it in the UK . I think the subject of coding & photos has come up before - but I'm not sure standing up to take pics from that would give enough stability ( or protection from the water ! )
Old 02 April 2009, 09:11   #6

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Tim Wright (www.photoaction.com) has been doing this for years, I think he pretty much pioneered it. I think he goes through a fair few cameras though.

I used to shoot from a 3.4m flatacraft rib with a steering wheel. It was very wet and very difficult to use as a photoboat! My current boat (5.2m) I think is a perfect size for most stuff. There is much to be said about having somewhere dry to store extra camera gear and also somewhere comfortable to sit while you wait (sometimes for hours!) for races to start!

Are you a marine photographer or hoping to get into it and have photography experience in another area?

Cheers,

Tim
Old 02 April 2009, 10:41   #7
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Tim Wright (www.photoaction.com) has been doing this for years, I think he pretty much pioneered it. I think he goes through a fair few cameras though.

I used to shoot from a 3.4m flatacraft rib with a steering wheel. It was very wet and very difficult to use as a photoboat! My current boat (5.2m) I think is a perfect size for most stuff. There is much to be said about having somewhere dry to store extra camera gear and also somewhere comfortable to sit while you wait (sometimes for hours!) for races to start!

Are you a marine photographer or hoping to get into it and have photography experience in another area?

Cheers,

Tim
Tim's spot on there. You'd need a bigger RIB. I know there's a company on the south coast that franchises the work out. Got the website bookarked somewhere, I'll try and find it.
I thought about trying it last year but due to other things happening in my life I never took it further.
Even if you use the cheapest DSLR you can find it's still going to be expensive in gear. DSLR's and lenses don't like being near salt water spray. They stop working very quickly so a divers housing would be a good investment. But very cumbersome to use. You could chance it and never have a problem but if your doing paid work you need to know your gear is going to last untill the end of the job. A back up camera would be an idea too. You could have a telephoto on one camera and a wideangle on the other so your not exposing the sensor to the enviroment.

I'd say min camera spec would be
atleast 5fps
clean hi ISO1600 for over cast days
Dust and splash proof DSLR and lenses like the Canon 1D MKIII with L glass or any of the Nikons fromt the D300 up. I'm not sure which Nikon lenses are sealed as I was a Canon man.
And soemone to jockey your boat who understands where you need to be and why
Old 02 April 2009, 12:17   #8

Town: Norwalk, CT
Boat name: PhotoBoat.com
Make: AB
Engine: Honda 20Hp
I think this is the topic of conversation on hundreds of boats that I photograph… “Why in the world is that idiot out here in that little boat!”…
Well, I used to work for www.YachtShotsBVI.com , and my good friend Guy Clothier originally got the idea from Tim Wright, while he was photographing in the BVI.
Now, I photograph a large amount of sailing regattas on the US East Coast. I thrive in heavy wind conditions with wave heights well over my head, miles offshore… and so far, since I’ve been in business (since 2005) have never ruined any equipment… maybe lucky so far. I do admit that in seas over 5ft or so, I slow down to around 8kts while traveling upwind to avoid flying off the top of one wave, just to plow into the next.
I use Nikon D300’s and like slimtim said, I don’t change lenses while on the water. I have a spray guard that covers my camera and my hand to half way up my forearm, the only exposed part of the camera is the front of the lens itself.
I hope that answers your questions. Feel free to check out www.PhotoBoat.com
Old 02 April 2009, 12:20   #9

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
They seem to be using something along the lines of these to protect the cameras http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies...._one_cover.htm
I imagine it would keep the spray off but wouldn't do anything to protect from immersion. Even though they seem to use a harness to help brace themselves it must be difficult to concentrate on shooting the camera and steering the boat. I know I could only really do one or the other safely or effectively. I would have to fall back on my usual method of taking photo's - take loads and loads and the law of averages suggest you should get at least a couple of keepers.
Old 02 April 2009, 19:22   #10

I could not open your link...maybe just my laptop today....

What kind of cover do you have?
Do you use any filter like polarisation or grey.....?
And the Nikon D300 works ok, i guess....?

/j

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBoat View Post
I think this is the topic of conversation on hundreds of boats that I photograph… “Why in the world is that idiot out here in that little boat!”…
Well, I used to work for www.YachtShotsBVI.com , and my good friend Guy Clothier originally got the idea from Tim Wright, while he was photographing in the BVI.
Now, I photograph a large amount of sailing regattas on the US East Coast. I thrive in heavy wind conditions with wave heights well over my head, miles offshore… and so far, since I’ve been in business (since 2005) have never ruined any equipment… maybe lucky so far. I do admit that in seas over 5ft or so, I slow down to around 8kts while traveling upwind to avoid flying off the top of one wave, just to plow into the next.
I use Nikon D300’s and like slimtim said, I don’t change lenses while on the water. I have a spray guard that covers my camera and my hand to half way up my forearm, the only exposed part of the camera is the front of the lens itself.
I hope that answers your questions. Feel free to check out www.PhotoBoat.com
Old 02 April 2009, 19:24   #11

This cover looks good! I don´t want to buy a underwaterhouse....thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
They seem to be using something along the lines of these to protect the cameras http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies...._one_cover.htm
I imagine it would keep the spray off but wouldn't do anything to protect from immersion. Even though they seem to use a harness to help brace themselves it must be difficult to concentrate on shooting the camera and steering the boat. I know I could only really do one or the other safely or effectively. I would have to fall back on my usual method of taking photo's - take loads and loads and the law of averages suggest you should get at least a couple of keepers.
Old 02 April 2009, 19:26   #12

I think 5-5,5m is perfect in size!!!

sent you a pm...

and i just saw your site.....This is good pics!!!

/j

Quote:

Cheers,

Tim
Old 03 April 2009, 00:32   #13

Town: Norwalk, CT
Boat name: PhotoBoat.com
Make: AB
Engine: Honda 20Hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by joakimhansson View Post
I could not open your link...maybe just my laptop today....

What kind of cover do you have?
Do you use any filter like polarisation or grey.....?
And the Nikon D300 works ok, i guess....?

/j
Yes... I just got off the phone with our web hosting service. They are having difficulties for a few hours. You can check out our blog at http://thephotoboat.blogspot.com/

Tomorrow, I'll put a photo on our blog of my camera cover.

If it's a nice bright sunny day, I'll use a polarizing filter. Otherwise I'll use a standard UV filter.
Old 03 April 2009, 05:20   #14

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Love Tim's and Allens work and I shoot a similar (somewhat laid back version)here in San Diego. Have used a 5.5 XS RIb for the last 4 years and before that a 14ft achilles and even earlier a 12' zodiac.
Find the pod helm seat with backrest is ideal. You can stand and hold on with your knees and brace against the back rest,for a steady shooting position.
Don't quite have the "nippy' factor of "photoboat"
Don't usually have the extreme weather of some of the other guys, so shoot Canon equipment without protection.
20D for rougher weather and 5D for the sunny clear skies days. The RIB has a good high bow and the only time I have come near to a soaking is from jet skiers "rooster tails and so called friends from blighty !! Thanks Matt and chris (Made a pass and turn at speed way to close

cheers Dal
www.Bayshots.com
Old 03 April 2009, 10:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal View Post
Love Tim's and Allens work and I shoot a similar (somewhat laid back version)here in San Diego. Have used a 5.5 XS RIb for the last 4 years and before that a 14ft achilles and even earlier a 12' zodiac.
Find the pod helm seat with backrest is ideal. You can stand and hold on with your knees and brace against the back rest,for a steady shooting position.
Don't quite have the "nippy' factor of "photoboat"
Don't usually have the extreme weather of some of the other guys, so shoot Canon equipment without protection.
20D for rougher weather and 5D for the sunny clear skies days. The RIB has a good high bow and the only time I have come near to a soaking is from jet skiers "rooster tails and so called friends from blighty !! Thanks Matt and chris (Made a pass and turn at speed way to close

cheers Dal
www.Bayshots.com
Backrest is a very good idea!
It looks like this small rib and photo is a good combination... Your photos are very good.

Do you need 90hp on your rib?
Old 05 April 2009, 03:44   #16

The 90 HP on the RIb works out great.
If I just used the boat for photography, then I would probably go with a smaller boat and engine like "Photoboat" uses. They are much more manouvrerable and cause less wake amongst raceboats.
However I also use my RIB for a family primary boat. Fishing/diving /tubing and even been 26 miles offshore on a camping trip. So the 90 is useful when fully loaded with the family.
Also gives me speed and acceleration when chasing fast boats (like the BMW Oracle BOR 90 )which got up to the 35 knots + mark.
The high bow is very dry and I built in a shelf alongside the console to house my Pelican case. It clips in and provides a safe and very accesible way to store my cameras.
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (Large).jpg
Views:	269
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	41693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006 (Large).jpg
Views:	208
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	41694  
Old 05 April 2009, 11:29   #17
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Limeydal, is that a a Peli case in your photo? I understand they aren't too expensive over there but for some reason cost over double here. I priced one up last year and decided against it as the one I wanted, looked allot like the one you have, worked out at nearly £300. Yet in the states I think it was $150! Thought about getting one sent over but still worked out expensive due to the size.
Old 06 April 2009, 01:17   #18

JSP,
yes it's the Pelican 1500 that I have and holds 2 bodies with zooms.
I got it for about $150 as you said.
trouble is shipping anything back to the Uk as they usually hit you on tax when it arrives.
cheers Dal
Old 07 April 2009, 02:34   #19

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
The Photoboat folks do get shots that others can't, because of the small boats that they use. It's sort of fun to see them zipping around the racecourse while you're sailing.
Old 08 April 2009, 07:48   #20

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
I first came on this style in Auckland harbor wondering what this nutter was doing standing up in a 3.10 strapped using a three point anchor on to a windsurfer style harness and a tiller extension.
He got some great photos and I think he is part of the America's cup experience people or working with.

There are a few others doing marine photography, we occasionally get them out with us on events when we are doing safety and mark laying, http://www.fotoboat.com is the link to them, often they will have a peli case and a I think its Tom has a goretex jacket sleeve modified with a rubber seal on to the lens and the remains of the Jacket is modified to cover the camera but still allowing him to use it. It looks much more professional than my description makes it sound.