Old 10 March 2003, 05:06   #81

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Ok, I have some genuine prices from 3 independent dealers based in Cape Town on the following motors if anyone is interested:

Yamaha 200 HPDI - R162,500 = 12,888.00
Yamaha 4stroke 225 - R164,900 = 13,078.00
Yamaha F100 BETL - R86,996 = 6,899.00
Yamaha 225 GETL - R107,990 = 8,654.00

I am awaiting prices on other makes and will post these as soon as they are available.
NB: Prices include SA VAT 14% which can be reclaimed once the export papers are finalised. Shipping and transport have to be priced by yourselves.

Old 10 March 2003, 05:11   #82

Next up are Mariner/Mercury prices. Strangely enough, in SA there is NO difference in pricing between the two, not like over here.

Mariner/Mercury 200 Optimax - R132,552 = 10,497.00
225 Optimax - R141,000 = 11,166.00

Again VAT inclusive ex shipping costs.

Old 10 March 2003, 05:16   #83

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Thanks Charles

Are those manufacturers RRP's or actual prices obtainable when doing a deal? For example I know that a Yam 200 HPDi lists around 12k in UK but that when you come to do a deal then a discount is usually given.

Irrespective of that it would seem that Yams at least are not significantly cheaper to buy in SA than here in good 'ol UK. Take into account shipping and warranty issues and my preference would be to buy in UK, albeit at best price I could.

Interesting thing is that I could see that control of supply by Yam would make the prices moreorless the same globally. When I was researching chartplotters last year I found a similar thing from US sosurces - by the time you buy something and bring it in here, even if you manage to avoid duty the cost benefit is not so signficant.

The area where I guess the cost saving is greater is in RIBS themselves where a) labour is a more significant factor in pricing and b) the supplying companies are not multinational and are not interested in price and market control.
Old 10 March 2003, 05:19   #84

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Charles

do you know what comparitive UK prices are , so you could edit your post and put the UK prices alongside ?
Old 10 March 2003, 05:25   #85

Trailer

The second RIB I imported from SA came with a trailer which was priced at R22,500.00, in todays money it is more or less 1,700.00. At the time the Rand was far weaker and I paid just over 1,380.00. In my opinion, this was the best manufactured trailer I have ever seen and included the tail lights housed in a rubber water proof housing, no more mucking about with trailer boards. You could simply arrive at the slip and reverse straight in.
The jockey wheel was for once, quite a substantial piece of kit with a pneumatic tyre and really quite bullet-proof. All in all exceptionally well-constructed. I would go along with Manos in this instance and consider sourcing trailers from SA because it really is good value for money.
See pic attached.
Old 10 March 2003, 05:27   #86

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Charles

The prices you show are correct but I think they include VAT and may be they do not include discout?

As a matter of fact I have the ACTUAL Yamaha price list to the delares in SAfrica how much they buy and how much are suppose to sell and is a little bit different.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2003, 05:48   #87
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Re: Trailer

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
I would go along with Manos in this instance and consider sourcing trailers from SA because it really is good value for money.
But he was talking about a trailer for a 10 metre boat for under 700. That's a rather different proposition to your trailer for 1,700 . . .

John
Old 10 March 2003, 05:51   #88

Alan, you have raised some pertinent points which, if I may, would like to respond to - this is my opinion only, and talking from experience!

The prices quoted are RRP. All the dealers would be prepared to offer a discount of between 9 and 11%. There are NO significant gains, monetary or otherwise importing an outboard from SA - however it is a different scenario importing a packaged RIB, known as a 'brown' import. Let's just stick to the engines for a moment. Personally, I would NEVER consider imporing Yamaha o/boards into the UK because YAMUK are just not interested if something goes wrong under warranty.
The issue of 'price-fixing' is relevant in this instance. Globally, Yamaha outboards are more or less the same price.

The last point I would make, (I may be shot down in flames), is this:
South African ribs are generally very strong and capable sea-boats. Where my fellow country-men let themselves down horribly is the QA. The boats are simply just not finished to the high standard you would expect in Europe or America/Canada. Labour is incredibly cheap and therefore the boats are cheaper, not necessarily better.
Old 10 March 2003, 05:51   #89

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
How about these prices then, just spoke to a well known dealer for both ribs and engines, and was quoted the following

Merc 200 longshaft opti, 8,500 including vat

Yam hpdi 200 Longshaft 8,599 including vat

These are genuine prices told to me over the phone 5 minutes ago, as a retail customer.

It's worth bearing in mind that the merc comes with control box and s/s prop, but the yam doesn't!
Old 10 March 2003, 05:54   #90

Re: Re: Trailer

Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
But he was talking about a trailer for a 10 metre boat for under 700. That's a rather different proposition to your trailer for 1,700 . . .

John
I take your point John - the same trailer over here would set you back 3,500.00, maybe more. Whatever Manos quoted, rightly or wrongly, you will definitely save thousands in acquiring a trailer from SA.